HS Football Band Play

TGUN

I can tell you've never been to a HBCU football game. The halftime show between the bands is why a lot of folks even come to the game in the first place. No joke. Whitehaven, and from the sounds of it, PC as well, take our marching band's performance duing the game seriously. The mere fact that this conversation is continuing should be a clue. We've got better things to do then to blow smoke.

Like I said earlier ... YOU may not take your school's marching band seriously. That doesn't go for everybody. Most folks on the 'T' probably feel like you. However, as far as I can tell, myself, FBfan26, and ADS1 have an entirely different perspective on this.

LOL ... I see that it is hard for you to fathom the idea.

A wise old man once said to me ... "Give it some time, it'll come to you!"

To each its own I guess. Just because I don't get it doesn't make it wrong or vice versa. Good luck the rest of the way and safe travels to everyone tomorrow night

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There used to be a rule against bands playing while play on the field is going on.  I don't believe that rule is in effect anymore.  However, the officials can stop a game and tell the band to not play while the game is in progress.  They can throw a flag and call a delay of game or an unsportsman like conduct call against the team that the offending band is supporting.  I've seen it happen within the last 3 to 4 years.

Bands should play before the game, between quarters and plays, at halftime, and after a game if they so desire.  Playing during live action is wrong.

I don't know if there is a rule or not. I know Whitehaven's MO is the same where ever we play. We've done it in both championship games that we have played in. I have also seen, in a Whitehaven game, where the white hat took umbrage to our band, and did as you have said. Our band adjusted ... after we had flags thrown against our team, of course. 

I, and many like me don't agree with that sentiment of when and where the band should play. We differ on that. However, we have adjusted in the past and will so in the future if deemed necessary. But, for all intense and purposes, our band will play during the game ... when we have the ball and when our opponent has the ball.

We know ... there are folks that don't like it. 

Edited by kwc

LOLOLOLOLOLOL ... yes! yes! yesssssssssss!!!! I love it!

How many schools does PC play against, that will engage in a band showdown, on the field, AFTER the game is over?

Its 6 show style marching bands in Nashville. With the new districts we only get to play one "maplewood" Now if we dropping back down to 3a next year we will face 3 or 4 in total Edited by FBfan26

There used to be a rule against bands playing while play on the field is going on. I don't believe that rule is in effect anymore. However, the officials can stop a game and tell the band to not play while the game is in progress. They can throw a flag and call a delay of game or an unsportsman like conduct call against the team that the offending band is supporting. I've seen it happen within the last 3 to 4 years.

Bands should play before the game, between quarters and plays, at halftime, and after a game if they so desire. Playing during live action is wrong.

I Always was told don't knock it untill you try or experience it. TN doesn't have that rule mainly because we have those types of bands. I remember we played Lipscomb Academy which is crazy because they use to be in the district with 3 other bands like us and should have been used to it. They complained to the refs during playoffs and they threw a flag. It ended up making the FB team and fans mad. After we went up 14 the FB coach said crunk it up and we rocked the rest of the game. Show style vs Corp style marching bands

I remember going to a 5a school some years back and halftime came and I will never forget this. After the show they stood up and cheered so loud for our band after the halftime show. "This is a away game" When there band hit the field it was all kind of boooos going on. I have a niece who attends and was told they called a school meeting that Monday about school pride and not booing. The next time we went up there they tried to schedule it on homecoming so the band couldn't play lol

Edited by FBfan26

I remember going to a 5a school some years back and halftime came and I will never forget this. After the show they stood up and cheered so loud for our band after the halftime show. "This is a away game" When there band hit the field it was all kind of boooos going on. I have a niece who attends and was told they called a school meeting that Monday about school pride and not booing. The next time we went up there they tried to schedule it on homecoming so the band couldn't play lol

Oh wow ... I've never experienced THAT before. That had to be a surreal experience. I don't think I've ever heard of anything like that ever happening either. Man, just think, you are an administrator at a school and after a high school football game, you felt the need to call a school wide meeting to promote 'school pride', to the student body.

Wow.

So you think they rescheduled you guys on HC night just to avoid your band playing at halftime do ya? LOLOLOLOL, now THAT'S hilarious. 

FBfan26:

I got this idea rolling around in my head. I've had it for a year or so, but I don't know how to execute it, but I think it's a good idea. I want to bounce it off of you and see what you think about it.

What I have in my head would be like the Southern Heritage Classic, but only it would involve high schools. However, this thing could involve 4 or 6 different high schools. It would be an ALL day event where folks would be tailgating and what not.  The premise would be as follows:

1) Every school would have the same profile. (Urban schools with good football program AND a good SHOW BAND program)

2) Have a battle of the bands on Friday night (with trophies awarded) and football games Saturday (or Vice Versa)

3) Have the site rotate each year. (Memphis one year, Nashville next, etc)

4) Find schools with like profiles in neighboring states and cities to participate (Memphis, Nashville, Atlanta, New Orleans, etc)

What do you think?

Edited by kwc

FBfan26:

I got this idea rolling around in my head. I've had it for a year or so, but I don't know how to execute it, but I think it's a good idea. I want to bounce it off of you and see what you think about it.

What I have in my head would be like the Southern Heritage Classic, but only it would involve high schools. However, this thing could involve 4 or 6 different high schools. It would be an ALL day event where folks would be tailgating and what not. The premise would be as follows:

1) Every school would have the same profile. (Urban schools with good football program AND a good SHOW BAND program)

2) Have a battle of the bands on Friday night (with trophies awarded) and football games Saturday (or Vice Versa)

4) Find schools with like profiles in neighboring states and cities to participate (Memphis, Nashville, Atlanta, New Orleans, etc)

What do you think?

Don't know how you would involve the football teams with the schedules and the etc. It sounds like a good idea min great football teams. Nashville "Hunters Lane" is a big dog in Nashville top 2 but the football team has only won 5 games in the pass 3 years. The Nashville Vs Memphis thing would be great. They did it in 2002 at the Gentry center @ TSU and it was a Big turnout.

FBfan26:

What I have in my head would be like the Southern Heritage Classic, but only it would involve high schools. However, this thing could involve 4 or 6 different high schools. It would be an ALL day event where folks would be tailgating and what not. The premise would be as follows:

What do you think?

I claim copyright infringement lol. I had this idea in 2014

FBfan26:

What do you think?

If I could pull it off I'd start off with Melrose (whenever they finally get Back good in football ) Pearl-Cohn, Whitehaven and someone from either Alabama (Huntsville or B-Ham) or Metro Atlanta.

Don't know how you would involve the football teams with the schedules and the etc. It sounds like a good idea min great football teams. Nashville "Hunters Lane" is a big dog in Nashville top 2 but the football team has only won 5 games in the pass 3 years. The Nashville Vs Memphis thing would be great. They did it in 2002 at the Gentry center @ TSU and it was a Big turnout.

Well, first, it would take a cooperative effort with folk in other cities to pull this off. It would also have to involve other folk then just the coaches and the ADs because they have their hands full running their own schools. The schedule thing would have to be worked out well in advance.

The schools to be selected would have to be considered extensively. Like you said, Hunter's Lane football program isn't that good right now. PC fits the bill, and they could participate. I would think you want to put apples with apples. Classifications have to mesh, or at least be close in proximity to each other. However, you don't really want to put schools against each other that might face one another in the play-offs later on down the road either. So ... Memphis vs ATL. Nashville vs Birmingham, another Memphis vs New Orleans ... something like that. I'm sure we can find some high schools from the ATL, Birminham, and New Orleans that fir the profile. Just make sure they 'fit' when they are matched up.