HS Football Band Play

TGUN

For extreme clarity.... My post is about our own band cranking it up while we are on offense .....The opposing teams visitors bleachers are pretty high, steep and not that far off the field so sound does carry when the band is sitting on the 30yd line and our team is headed in from the 20.....

Bottom line when your school's FB team has the ball U DO NOT PLAY unless your team scores a TD or FG .....

Trust me I love the fact that students in the band play and compete,,, heck I even support one of their fundraisers,,, but when the band director acts like it's a joke while playing when our team is on O I have a serious problem with that...

Completely agree. Sounds like you all have a band director problem more than anything else.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, I know what the original post in this thread is about. I didn't respond to the original poster in this thread. I was responding to FBfan26 and his line of conversation

Secondly, from your response i'm going to assume that your exposure to high school bands is some what limited. Most high school marching bands sound like high school marching bands. However, there are some high school marching bands that are a cut above your normal high school marching bands ... those are the ones that are on par with college marching bands ... or close to it.

Whitehaven's band is such a band. It's large in number and it probably covers 70% of the field when they perform at halftime. When they perform, their sound is clear and distinct. When they play, you can feel the bleachers vibrate from the sheer force caused by how loud they play. They are a force to be reckoned with. They march and do a varied number of designs when they perform. The Drum Majors look like those you see for Southern University, Jackson State, and others. The Majorettes and the Flag Corp are all in sync and perform their routines with precision. The Whitehaven Marching Band has competed and won national marching band awards and honors in the past, and this one is no different. They travel and compete in various marching band competitions throughout the country. They, the marching band, practiced in the summer, longer the the football team, when football practice started. Those guys had been at it for a few weeks before the football team started. They work their tails off, and it is quite apparent when you see them perform at halftime.

They put in those hours because Whitehaven is known for it's excellent marching band program and a great deal of those young people get their college paid for because they can read music, march in formation, and play their instruments very well. Heck ... the band booster club is bigger then the football booster club.

I must admit, I'm spoiled because I think we have the best SHOW BAND in high school in the entire state. The Whitehaven fans love it when they, on purpose, arrive fashionably late, so they can march in and take their place in the stands. (We designate and reserve a quarter of the bleachers for the band) Their sound is fabulous and they play old school R & B, which has the entire stands rocking (example ... Earth, Wind, and Fire's 'Boogie Wonderland') When Whitehaven scores they play "I'm So Glad I go to WHS"

I absolutely love our band ... I care, is who cares. I guarantee you that most Whitehaven fans care about our wonderful band ... they are a part of the experience on a Friday Night.

Throw in the fact that our football team is also pretty dog gone awesome, as well, and you are talking about a wonderful, rocking, fantastic Friday night experience.

That's the way it is supposed to be!

The original question was about his schools playing while his school had the ball. But I will say what everyone is thinking..

It is band so who cares!!!

Pearl Cohn does...Y'all might not love your band but we love ours...Ain't nothing like hitting the field and the band starts playing "Gettin it on" #Classic Edited by FBfan26

First, I know what the original post in this thread is about. I didn't respond to the original poster in this thread. I was responding to FBfan26 and his line of conversation

Secondly, from your response i'm going to assume that your exposure to high school bands is some what limited. Most high school marching bands sound like high school marching bands. However, there are some high school marching bands that are a cut above your normal high school marching bands ... those are the ones that are on par with college marching bands ... or close to it.

Whitehaven's band is such a band. It's large in number and it probably covers 70% of the field when they perform at halftime. When they perform, their sound is clear and distinct. When they play, you can feel the bleachers vibrate from the sheer force caused by how loud they play. They are a force to be reckoned with. They march and do a varied number of designs when they perform. The Drum Majors look like those you see for Southern University, Jackson State, and others. The Majorettes and the Flag Corp are all in sync and perform their routines with precision. The Whitehaven Marching Band has competed and won national marching band awards and honors in the past, and this one is no different. They travel and compete in various marching band competitions throughout the country. They, the marching band, practiced in the summer, longer the the football team, when football practice started. Those guys had been at it for a few weeks before the football team started. They work their tails off, and it is quite apparent when you see them perform at halftime.

They put in those hours because Whitehaven is known for it's excellent marching band program and a great deal of those young people get their college paid for because they can read music, march in formation, and play their instruments very well. Heck ... the band booster club is bigger then the football booster club.

I must admit, I'm spoiled because I think we have the best SHOW BAND in high school in the entire state. The Whitehaven fans love it when they, on purpose, arrive fashionably late, so they can march in and take their place in the stands. (We designate and reserve a quarter of the bleachers for the band) Their sound is fabulous and they play old school R & B, which has the entire stands rocking (example ... Earth, Wind, and Fire's 'Boogie Wonderland') When Whitehaven scores they play "I'm So Glad I go to WHS"

I absolutely love our band ... I care, is who cares. I guarantee you that most Whitehaven fans care about our wonderful band ... they are a part of the experience on a Friday Night.

Throw in the fact that our football team is also pretty dog gone awesome, as well, and you are talking about a wonderful, rocking, fantastic Friday night experience.

+10

For extreme clarity.... My post is about our own band cranking it up while we are on offense .....The opposing teams visitors bleachers are pretty high, steep and not that far off the field so sound does carry when the band is sitting on the 30yd line and our team is headed in from the 20.....

Bottom line when your school's FB team has the ball U DO NOT PLAY unless your team scores a TD or FG .....

Trust me I love the fact that students in the band play and compete,,, heck I even support one of their fundraisers,,, but when the band director acts like it's a joke while playing when our team is on O I have a serious problem with that...

O see we play while our the D# is on the field most games. Now if the other team has a band like us 3rd 4th and 5th quarter the gloves come off. We going back to back lol Edited by FBfan26

O see we play while our the D# is on the field most games. Now if the other team has a band like us 3rd 4th and 5th quarter the gloves come off. We going back to back lol[/quote

Sounds vicious. Battling with horns and drums. Liberalism at its best! Twirling those flags faster and faster really gets everyone excited. I often see little kids behind the stadium with their instruments playing pick up band! The glitter and outfits lights up the field. Any papa would be proud of their son blowing on a tuba and beating on a drum. Come on dude quit trying to make it sound like there is some sort of excitement surrounding band. Great hard working kids and all but the atmosphere is there due to the game not a band performance.

O see we play while our the D# is on the field most games. Now if the other team has a band like us 3rd 4th and 5th quarter the gloves come off. We going back to back lol[/quote

Sounds vicious. Battling with horns and drums. Liberalism at its best! Twirling those flags faster and faster really gets everyone excited. I often see little kids behind the stadium with their instruments playing pick up band! The glitter and outfits lights up the field. Any papa would be proud of their son blowing on a tuba and beating on a drum. Come on dude quit trying to make it sound like there is some sort of excitement surrounding band. Great hard working kids and all but the atmosphere is there due to the game not a band performance.

I can tell you've never been to a HBCU football game. The halftime show between the bands is why a lot of folks even come to the game in the first place. No joke. Whitehaven, and from the sounds of it, PC as well, take our marching band's performance duing the game seriously. The mere fact that this conversation is continuing should be a clue. We've got better things to do then to blow smoke.

Like I said earlier ... YOU may not take your school's marching band seriously. That doesn't go for everybody. Most folks on the 'T' probably feel like you. However, as far as I can tell, myself, FBfan26, and ADS1 have an entirely different perspective on this.

LOL ... I see that it is hard for you to fathom the idea.

A wise old man once said to me ... "Give it some time, it'll come to you!" 

Pearl Cohn does...Y'all might not love your band but we love ours...Ain't nothing like hitting the field and the band starts playing "Gettin it on" #Classic

Man, one year, our band director had the band playin' ... "In the Ghetto!"

They rocked that song while in the stands ... ALL ... YEAR ... LONG!

Man I tell you ... err'body my age or close to it LOVED IT! Some of the young'uns were seen bobbin' their heads ... LOL!

O see we play while our the D# is on the field most games. Now if the other team has a band like us 3rd 4th and 5th quarter the gloves come off. We going back to back lol

LOLOLOLOLOLOL ... yes! yes! yesssssssssss!!!! I love it!

How many schools does PC play against, that will engage in a band showdown, on the field, AFTER the game is over?

There used to be a rule against bands playing while play on the field is going on.  I don't believe that rule is in effect anymore.  However, the officials can stop a game and tell the band to not play while the game is in progress.  They can throw a flag and call a delay of game or an unsportsman like conduct call against the team that the offending band is supporting.  I've seen it happen within the last 3 to 4 years.

Bands should play before the game, between quarters and plays, at halftime, and after a game if they so desire.  Playing during live action is wrong.