McMinn

sportsphan

Nobody is giving the Cherokees much of a chance but they are so improved over last year and they almost beat Bradley last year. They have the best guard in the district, Juan Smith and the best post Dustin Sewell. Then they have several good roll players to help these two out. Don't count McMinn out of the race. Bradley is young and inexperienced. Rhea County is inconsistent, Cleveland's players will be in trouble off and on during the season, so I just think that McMinn MIGHT just step up and surprise people.

sportsphan,

No one cares about basketball in Athens or at McMinn Co. High. You can never get a response from anyone in Athens about their team on Coacht. I bet this will be the only reply to your post just because no one cares. Football has just ended and everybody is just waiting on baseball season.

I do not care one way or another about McMinn County but I do have to reply to the post. You have to give Juan Smith credit. He is a very good basketball player. But there are also several other guards in the district that are also very good basketball players. However, I can't give Dustin Sewell credit for being the best post in the district. This is one of the FEW times that I have even heard his name mentioned. I am not trying to downgrade or hurt this kid at all, but I have to argue that there are other posts in the district that are at a different level. There isn't a better athlete than Charles Little at the post. Zach Wyatt(?) from Rhea is a pretty solid post too. I do not understand your comment about the Cleveland kids. You stated that they would be in trouble off and on during the season. There is a GREAT group of kids on the Cleveland team this year. I haven't heard of any trouble the kids have gotten into throughout the season since Coach Green has been there. As far as last year when you said McMinn almost beat Bradley, the key word in your phrase is ALMOST. No matter how you look at it, a loss is a loss. No one remembers the "almost's", but they do remember the winner and the loser. And you said Rhea County is inconsistant, is that why Rhea County went to the substate and McMinn sat at home?

I stand by my statement. McMinn hasn't been good in bball since the early 90's. Now I agree they may be improved this year, but until they post that impressive winning season this year, there still not any better to me.... About Athens not caring about basketball. That's a fact not a statement. They might support girl's basketball but not boy's bball. Football and baseball rule in Athens. Live with it.

I still say that they are going to surprise people this year. I still say that Sewell is the best post in the district. Sure Little is good but with is attitude probably will be in trouble by the end of the year. Also, Sewell has the experience that Little doesn't. I also think that we have the best point guard in the district. Everybody talks Bradley's. Just wait and see. I said they almost won last year. I said almost because Bradley had lots more talent with Pugh than McMinn. They lost all there players last year. They are young and inexperienced. The two guards that are back were not there best players last year and they are just juniors. At a big school like Bradley that is still considered young. Now at some of the small schools around they have to start even younger than that and by the time they are juniors they are not inexperienced. All I know is that McMinn may just be in the finals in boys and girls.

well bradleys freshman team didnt go undefeated..they lost to cleveland notre dame , and oltewah..but they should have won all those games..but i would not say Bradley is not experienced..i've seen them play and they are looking pretty good...but it will be a good game when they play McMinn

sportsphan, once again there you go trying to build up your favorite subject, jujuan smith. granted he very well may be the best player in the district but that doesn't give you the right to talk about the other programs negatively. i am a rhea co. fan and i know how hard they work. to call them inconsistent just proves that you don't know anything about them. to talk about cleveland's team getting in trouble is also your opinion and also none of your business. these are kids and even if they aren't from your hometown or play for your favorite team you should remember that. i am really proud of the fact that we boast so many good players in our district. if you were a true fan, you would also appreciate that fact. as for sewell being the best post in the district........let's just say he is not bad but has a long way to go to be even considered in the top 5.

• 3 weeks later...

Where is all the talk about the Cherokees now? If you were at the game the Raiders said enough for us all. JuJuan Smith couldn't get his game going because Cleveland shut him down. I still agree he is a good player, but definitely not the best player in the district. As for Sewell, I will just say that you are a bad judge of talent if you think he is the best post in the district. Again, I don't have anything against this kid but he doesn't have the talent that you think. As for their roll players, they must still be trying to figure out their role. Cleveland dominated everything about this game. McMinn didn't have an answer for Trey Sharp or the shooting of Tim Cooper and Jay Davis and Charles Little dominated the boards. But the list goes on for Cleveland...James Cogdill, LeVonte Barber, Aaron Odell, Detrus Graham, Jonathon Gosnell, and Nolen Rumble. McMinn was lucky that Coach Green called of the dogs or it could have easily been a 40 point game. As far as McMinn upsetting anyone this year, sorry but the Cherokees are looking at a long season.