Ravenwood at Houston Round 1

kwc

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cal Preps says Ravenwood but without common opponents it's tough to tell for sure. Hopefully the Raptors begin to gel at the right time.

So, the Raptors haven't gelled up to this point? The regular season is over! They have to BEGIN to gel?

Interesting.

hard one to gauge but ravenwood has struggled a lot this year in the run game so they mostly pass and their defense is pretty solid for a 6a team

idk much about houston so i cant say much about them but this ravenwood team is niwhere near the talent and discipline of the ravenwood from 2013-2015

This one is hard to gauge from our end as well.

Ravenwood can't run the ball you say? But they can pass. They have a solid 'D'. OK.

Well it's apareant that RW isn't the same as prior years  when coach Hester was running things from just looking at their results this year.

Houston has a pretty good RB and an ok D. They struggled against the better Region 4 teams and held their own and beat the other Region 4 teams. Their victory over Arlington put them over the top, as far as seeding is concerned. 

This sounds like a toss up.

This one is hard to gauge from our end as well.

Ravenwood can't run the ball you say? But they can pass. They have a solid 'D'. OK.

Well it's apareant that RW isn't the same as prior years  when coach Hester was running things from just looking at their results this year.

Houston has a pretty good RB and an ok D. They struggled against the better Region 4 teams and held their own and beat the other Region 4 teams. Their victory over Arlington put them over the top, as far as seeding is concerned. 

This sounds like a toss up.

i agree it could go either way

i agree it could go either way

The road trip gives Houston an edge, however, RW being the state champs last year gives them an edge as well.

You think that because of the coaching change it has taken the whole season to get the team adjusted?

How did their offensive philosophy chamge under the new coach?

Here is the deal with Ravenwood. Yeah they won the championship last year. But that team isn't there anymore.... I believe heard earlier in the year that they only returned 1 starter.

They have a very good defense but the offense has struggled all year. The defense will hold and then the offense keeps putting them in bad field position so eventually they give up points and get in a hole and it goes downhill from that point. Because the defense knows that the offense can't catch up.

They went 5-5. They beat Lebanon and McGavock who both went 1-9. Lebanon's only win was against a 4A Portland who was 1-9. McGavock's only win was against Lebanon.... They beat Siegel and Antioch who were both 3-7. Siegel beat Coffee County and Warren County who won 1 and 2 games. Antioch beat Lebanon and McGavock. They beat Mt. Juliet but that is a game that has favorable matchups of their defense and Mt. Juliet is a much better team now than they were at the beginning of the season.

They beat the lesser teams because their defense was able to create turnovers or get good field position to turn into points.

All the same they are very good on defense so against some pretty good teams in Mt. Juliet, Centennial, Franklin and Wilson Central they only allowed 7, 21, 21 and 23 points. And each of those teams average 30-35 a game.

It looks like both teams only lost to good football teams.

The thing to me is that Ravenwood only gave up more than 23 points twice this season. And Houston got held to 21 points or less 7 of 9 games. Including against 3-7 teams Bartlett and Collierville. If they were only able to score 14 points on a Bartlett team that allowed pretty much +50 points to everybody in that region then they will probably struggle to score on this Ravenwood defense.

Ravenwood 17

Houston 13

The road trip gives Houston an edge, however, RW being the state champs last year gives them an edge as well.

You think that because of the coaching change it has taken the whole season to get the team adjusted?

How did their offensive philosophy chamge under the new coach?

offensive philosophy changed by last year ravenwood was mostly 3wr with an h back and spread you to run the ball and used a lot of motion and set up passing game from run game.. this year from what i have seen they are exclusively from 4 wr almost and throw almost every play thats not short yardage.. if houston blitzes RW it will be a long ride home for the raptors bc their qb hates being blitzed and throws pics a lot under pressure. However ravenwood's defense is good enough to keep it close i think

This is probably a toss up but I will go ahead and predict Ravenwood winning this one by a score of 17-16

When I made my BGIM selections ... I waffeled on this game at least three times. Flat out flip flopped. I was so ovwewhelmed with selectiing the winner, you would have thought I was Havengrad04!

LOLOLOL ...  :roflol:

I think I just eventually became a homer and went with the ShelbyCo team.

Edited by kwc

When I made my BGIM selections ... I waffeled on this game at least three times. Flat out flip flopped. I was so ovwewhelmed with selectiing the winner, you would have thought I was Havengrad04!

LOLOLOL ... :roflol:

I think I just eventually became a homer and went with the ShelbyCo team.

Let me help with some facts and having seen Ravenwood in person, RW came into this season with mediocre expectations after winning state and losing 25+ seniors. They actually came out and played some really good teams close, this team can sneak up on the good teams if they make it past Houston, which I think they will with ease. RW beat us in the 3rd game of the season 12-7, we didn't score until inside the final 2 mins of the 4th quarter. Although that was the final loss MJ took. Edited by MJGOLDENBEARS