Mr Football Semifinalists

BoardHater71

For someone who is "not interested" in debating, you sure have posted much attempted debate with owlbooster, who was simply trying to decipher your initial post. I agree that Walker of DCA is an excellent back, but I cannot say that he was "jobbed",since I have not seen all of the backs who were nominated. It seems to me that you show a tad of disrespect to the actual nominees by implying that they are somehow the beneficiaries of some nebulous unfair system. I guess you can feel free to give out your own awards if you don't like the criteria utilized by the existing award structure.

Congrats to all of the nominees!

What is the criteria you are referring to? Less than 2000 rushing yards? Less than approximately 3000 all purpose yards? You do realize there is NO SET criteria don't you? Its purely subjective.

Multiple times I congratulated the nominees. My criticism of Walker not being nominated is mutually exclusive with the kids that were nominated. They are selected not part of the process so you are mistaken to believe I was being critical of them.

Post the criteria when you have a moment. Thank you for the help.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the criteria you are referring to? Less than 2000 rushing yards? Less than approximately 3000 all purpose yards? You do realize there is NO SET criteria don't you? Its purely subjective.

Multiple times I congratulated the nominees. My criticism of Walker not being nominated is mutually exclusive with the kids that were nominated. They are selected not part of the process so you are mistaken to believe I was being critical of them.

Post the criteria when you have a moment. Thank you for the help.

No doubt there is some subjectivity involved; would you have them just award it to the back with the most yards?  If so, how should we distinguish between passing yards and rushing yards?  Should we include return yards?  Since I am not on the panel that picks the finalists, I cannot tell you what criteria they used.  I can tell you that perhaps one such criteria may have been the level of competition.  It looks like 3 of the 4 nominees for Mr. Football in the D1-A back category come from the west.  Based upon the first round of the playoffs, the west seems to be the far superior to the division in which DCA plays. In fact, it appears that the only team that DCA played that is still alive in the D2-A playoffs was Webb, which administered a 41-17 beatdown in that game.  The other nominee is from Webb, which also played first round winner BGA, Alcoa and Oak Ridge.  No offense meant to DCA, 'cause they played the teams in front of them and have had a great year (and again, Walker is an excellent back), but it just might be a wee bit tougher to put up those kind of stats against some legitimate competition.  You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I will accept the opinion of those handing out the trophies over that of some anonymous homer on a message board.

And yeah, despite your protestations to the contrary, you are clearly implying that your candidate is more deserving than at least one of the semi-finalists, so you are showing disrespect to those nominated.  

Congrats to all of the nominees.

No doubt there is some subjectivity involved; would you have them just award it to the back with the most yards? If so, how should we distinguish between passing yards and rushing yards? Should we include return yards? Since I am not on the panel that picks the finalists, I cannot tell you what criteria they used. I can tell you that perhaps one such criteria may have been the level of competition. It looks like 3 of the 4 nominees for Mr. Football in the D1-A back category come from the west. Based upon the first round of the playoffs, the west seems to be the far superior to the division in which DCA plays. In fact, it appears that the only team that DCA played that is still alive in the D2-A playoffs was Webb, which administered a 41-17 beatdown in that game. The other nominee is from Webb, which also played first round winner BGA, Alcoa and Oak Ridge. No offense meant to DCA, 'cause they played the teams in front of them and have had a great year (and again, Walker is an excellent back), but it just might be a wee bit tougher to put up those kind of stats against some legitimate competition. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I will accept the opinion of those handing out the trophies over that of some anonymous homer on a message board.

And yeah, despite your protestations to the contrary, you are clearly implying that your candidate is more deserving than at least one of the semi-finalists, so you are showing disrespect to those nominated.

Congrats to all of the nominees.

Hey. Since you've now used comparative games if you feel inclined you can see how those up for the award did? Right?

Walker had 394 agaist FRA plus 175 Rec/return yards. Thats a good reference point for ya using your criteria.

I in turn don't need to look because I already know he was deserving of the nomination.

Sorry you cannot comprehend mutually exclusive comments. Once again I say congrats to the nominees.

Hey. Since you've now used comparative games if you feel inclined you can see how those up for the award did? Right?

Walker had 394 agaist FRA plus 175 Rec/return yards. Thats a good reference point for ya using your criteria.

Not sure I understand this point.  FRA finished their year 1-10.  Harding Academy beat them 48-16  on Friday, so I imagine that Harding's nominee for Mr. Football watched much of the game from the bench after having helped his team to an insurmountable lead.  DCA, on the other hand, beat FRA 48-34, so it stands to reason that Walker was involved from the first to the final whistle.  He apparently had quite an impressive night and that was no doubt a good win for DCA.  However, simply comparing yards under these circumstances is not really indicative of much of anything.  No other nominee's team got to run up their stats against FRA this year, so I am not really sure what you are trying to say.

I comprehend the concept of "mutual exclusivity" just fine - that concept does not come into play when you say Player A should have been nominated in lieu of Player B,C,D or E.  There are a lot of excellent players out there - some get nominated for awards while some do not.

Good luck to DCA this week - hope it's a good game with no injuries on either side. 

Not sure I understand this point. FRA finished their year 1-10. Harding Academy beat them 48-16 on Friday, so I imagine that Harding's nominee for Mr. Football watched much of the game from the bench after having helped his team to an insurmountable lead. DCA, on the other hand, beat FRA 48-34, so it stands to reason that Walker was involved from the first to the final whistle. He apparently had quite an impressive night and that was no doubt a good win for DCA. However, simply comparing yards under these circumstances is not really indicative of much of anything. No other nominee's team got to run up their stats against FRA this year, so I am not really sure what you are trying to say.

I comprehend the concept of "mutual exclusivity" just fine - that concept does not come into play when you say Player A should have been nominated in lieu of Player B,C,D or E. There are a lot of excellent players out there - some get nominated for awards while some do not.

Good luck to DCA this week - hope it's a good game with no injuries on either side.

Thank you for the well wishes.

I made the above post because it was your criteria (weak schedule) and you had data to use it now. Then, you conveniently switched the criteria when it potentially didn't support you by creating false narratives and hypotheticals.

The point is its all subjective. Evrery single bit of it. There is no set criteria because its in essence a beauty contest. People can pick apart stats and schedules all they want but at the end of the day the kid had almost 3000 all purpose yards with EVERY single team doing everything they could to stop him. I have no doubt in my mind he was worthy of being nominated and is arguably the best RB in the history of a school with multiple Mr Football winning RB's.

Good luck to all the teams and fans as they play and travel.

Edited by Playerscoach

You mistake my statement as being an invitation to debate, which I am not interested in. It makes no difference to me if someone else has or hasn't been nominated nor have I said it's never happened. Using Walker was all I used because those I actually gave a rip about knew who I was talking about. If I said the "mountains are pretty" would you have to know which ones and the state?

This board is full of sensitive little fellas who have a very real difficulty understanding exactly how this works? Getting critiqued over not using a first name and school is just odd to me? BTW I've never heard of Scotts Hill and don't care to even look it up. I sure as heck won't request you to tell me what division they are in or where it's located. See how that works?

Well, it's apparent by now that YOU are that "sensitive little fella" who doesn't understand how things work.  Most normal rational people, when they start talking out of the blue about a PLAYER, at least mention the TEAM he plays for, whether they give a first name or not.  That's really just common sense.  Otherwise, readers like me who don't already know who he is can learn his identity and investigate him on their own.  Yet after making that simple request in my 1st post (#8), rather then responding like a normal rational person "Jayden Walker at DCA," you didn't answer my QUESTION (not a "critique") and became defensive and snarky. 

Your last post confirms that you are an anal pore, which really was the problem all along. 

Edited by owlbooster

Well, it's apparent by now that YOU are that "sensitive little fella" who doesn't understand how things work. Most normal rational people, when they start talking out of the blue about a PLAYER, at least mention the TEAM he plays for, whether they give a first name or not. That's really just common sense. Otherwise, readers like me who don't already know who he is can learn his identity and investigate him on their own. Yet after making that simple request in my 1st post (#8), rather then responding like a normal rational person "Jayden Walker at DCA," you didn't answer my question and became defensive and snarky.

Your last post confirms that you are an anal pore, which really was the problem all along.

Haha you are in attack dog mode yet I'm snarky and defensive. I actual feel bad for you now because you're clearly "that" guy that has issues with being "right". This response by me was over the top inflammatory "I wasn't being nebulous. Walker has been mentioned in here before." I actually lost my mind while typing it. I was completely out of control and snarky. Its amazing you start a post by demanding I "enlighten 1/3 of the state" and somehow I'm the bad guy for not reaponding? That's rich fella!!!! Lol

As far as my last post goes most objective thinkers can see how it's clearly a subjective award and that I debunked his criteria with ease.

Congrats on the "anal pore" label. That's a first for me. I would call you a hyper-sensitive twit but that would insult twits all over the world. So, instead, I'll just wish you a good day. 😂

Edited by Playerscoach

Beserk? We have different opinions of what the definition of that is. Hyperbole much?

Well, I'm sorry you want me to post differently. I made a statement. Others agreed with my statement. As far as me debating you again are mistaken because the only discussion towards me has been about confusion concerning where Walker played no the merits. I could give a rip if someone wants to discuss those.

I still could care less about where Scotts Hill is or that you like the mountains. Good for you.

You're confusing me...you're now debating about the definition of debating, and whether you in fact did debate without the expressed or implied intent to debate. You also mistakenly stated that the only discussion(debate) was the where and not the merits...yet you posted merits which I countered with merits from another player that was unrecognized as well, resulting in the debate. As far as you giving a rip about discussing (debating) the merits...that was the content of your original statement, so please make up your mind if debating​ discussing merits is off limits, and if so I request that you withdraw your original post containing merits and stick to the content that you are comfortable with.

By the way...thank you for the concern as to the whereabouts of our school, as well as my fondness for mountains (you did say that you could care less, just not how much less).

LOL...it's all in fun dude... the kid has some nice numbers, but only a few are nominated, and it's basically a year long popularity contest between "some" of the best. You mad???

You're confusing me...you're now debating about the definition of debating, and whether you in fact did debate without the expressed or implied intent to debate. You also mistakenly stated that the only discussion(debate) was the where and not the merits...yet you posted merits which I countered with merits from another player that was unrecognized as well, resulting in the debate. As far as you giving a rip about discussing (debating) the merits...that was the content of your original statement, so please make up your mind if debating​ discussing merits is off limits, and if so I request that you withdraw your original post containing merits and stick to the content that you are comfortable with.

By the way...thank you for the concern as to the whereabouts of our school, as well as my fondness for mountains (you did say that you could care less, just not how much less).

LOL...it's all in fun dude... the kid has some nice numbers, but only a few are nominated, and it's basically a year long popularity contest between "some" of the best. You mad???

1) A statement is not a debate. It stands alone.

2) You posted criteria and I showed you a new stat to use (not me to use). It was your criteria not mine so it was not used, or needed, by me to support my original statement.

3) The content of my original statement was not an invitation to debate. It was a declarative statement. Somehow that reasoning escapes you even though that statement was supported multiple times by me saying I wasn't debating it.

4) "Thank you for the concern"?? I have no concern. Not sure how you got this one mixed up? I'm sure its a great place and school but I have zero interest in it.

It is all in fun. Mad? I've dealt professionally for 25 years making and defending arguments against professionals so the answer is no. Working over folks on here is for entertainment. I have enjoyed sparring with you guys. Some are just goofy though. At least you tried to be glib and take some decent counterpoints. (:

Good luck to your team.

1) A statement is not a debate. It stands alone.

2) You posted criteria and I showed you a new stat to use (not me to use). It was your criteria not mine so it was not used, or needed, by me to support my original statement.

3) The content of my original statement was not an invitation to debate. It was a declarative statement. Somehow that reasoning escapes you even though that statement was supported multiple times by me saying I wasn't debating it.

4) "Thank you for the concern"?? I have no concern. Not sure how you got this one mixed up? I'm sure its a great place and school but I have zero interest in it.

It is all in fun. Mad? I've dealt professionally for 25 years making and defending arguments against professionals so the answer is no. Working over folks on here is for entertainment. I have enjoyed sparring with you guys. Some are just goofy though. At least you tried to be glib and take some decent counterpoints. (:

Good luck to your team.

Just can't resist...

(1) A statement is a declaration...when you and owlbooster went back and forth it was a debate.

(2) When you introduced a new angle to tabulate the criteria, you challenged the validity of it as it was...debate.

(3) You may or may not have intended to initiate a debate, but you entered willfully into it when your statement was declared incomplete by someone else.

(4) This is the easy one...you said "I could care less" meaning that you do care...the proper term would have been I couldn't care less.

I hope that you understand that this really is all in fun...good luck to your team also.