Brentwood vs Central at Crump - Round 2

kwc

The Brentwood Bruins (7-4, 5-2) must leave the comfy confines of Brentwood TN and travel westward down I-40 to Memphis to face the Central Warriors (10-1, 7-0) in round 2 of the TSSAA, Class 5A playoffs.

Brentwood's four losses have come by D1, 5A, AP Poll #1, ranked Independence, Region 7 Rossview, D1, 6A, AP Poll #6 ranked, Franklin, and fellow Region 7, Class 5A, AP Poll #3 ranked, Centennial.  Central's lone loss came at the hands of D2, AA, AP Poll #1 ranked MUS.

Both teams have played Rossview and Kirby. Brentwood beat Kirby in the 1st round of the playoff by a score of 55-28. Central beat them in the regular season by a score of 15-12. Brentwood lost to Rossview in the regular season by a score of 17-13. Central beat them in the 1st round of the playoffs bt a score of 47-24.

This game is being played at Crump Stadium in Memphis.

Who wins this game?

Edited by kwc

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting note here KWC, the only true way to compare these teams is off the one common opponent they share. That's Kirby, it seems like Kirby gave Central all they could handle in a 15-12 loss, while Brentwood steamrolled that same Kirby team 55-28. I think Central hasn't faced this potent of an offense yet this year, Brentwood has to bring that same A game they did against Kirby.

I like Brentwood here. Think the Rossview game was an outlier. They've played a great schedule. I'm sure Central will have the guys to make it a game though. Don't know much about them, but I think Brentwood could possibly make it to the semis if they can string together a couple of Friday nights where it all clicks. The staff up there does a good job of putting their players in the right situations.

I like Brentwood here. Think the Rossview game was an outlier. They've played a great schedule. I'm sure Central will have the guys to make it a game though. Don't know much about them, but I think Brentwood could possibly make it to the semis if they can string together a couple of Friday nights where it all clicks. The staff up there does a good job of putting their players in the right situations.

The Rossview game may or may not be an outlier, as you say. However, that was who Central beat in the 1st round. That was actually a high scoring affair, considering what Central has done all year long. They held MUS to 19 points in their loss to them. This Central team has a very aggressive, nasty 'D'. According to the Shelby Metro SportsBlog website's 'Updated Team Stats through 11-4-16' page ... Central's defense is second in Shelby County in points allowed at 9.7 ppg. They only team in Shelby County holding teams to a lower points scored per game average is Whitehaven at 8.5. Their defense is rated in the top of all of the statistical categories for Shelby County teams. Their defense is listed as the 6th best in total yardage given up per game through out all of the teams in Shelby County. That is a very elite list.

Central hangs it hat on defense. I'm going with the defensive team in this one. I've seen Brentwood on four different occasions on Williamson County TV. They are a very good solid team. 

This will be another good one. Central hosts in their back yard at Crump. I think that gives them a slight advantage.

Edited by kwc

I like how my man kwc gives yall facts and stats to let you know why one team or the other should win... well I'm going to keep it funky with you, Memphis Central should win because they are playing a team that's 7-4... Don't care what any of you folks say, Brentwood was 6-4 in the Regular season for a reason. They are likely less talented, top to bottom, than Central, so as long as Central doesn't blow their toes off they should win, right or wrong?

Edited by BlackHavenSenator

It's refreshing to actually talk a little football on this board.

I went back and looked at Central a little more. This should be a great game. I just think Brentwood's played a tougher schedule. Sure, 4 losses, but look who they came against...

I understand the Rossview game, but for reference, HC thumped Rossview 31-6 and then turned around and got beat pretty handily by Brentwood. Using the transitive property in HS football can be dangerous.

Edited by RedSwarm

It's refreshing to actually talk a little football on this board.

I went back and looked at Central a little more. This should be a great game. I just think Brentwood's played a tougher schedule. Sure, 4 losses, but look who they came against...

I understand the Rossview game, but for reference, HC thumped Rossview 31-6 and then turned around and got beat pretty handily by Brentwood. Using the transitive property in HS football can be dangerous.

The Independence L is the only one that's reasonable, isn't it?

The Independence L is the only one that's reasonable, isn't it?

Well, Franklin is playing White Station this week. Their only 2 losses were in OT to Mount Juliet, and in week 1 against Centennial. Centennial has only lost one game this year.... and that was against Indy. Lot of talent in Wilco.

Edited by RedSwarm