What happened @ Sequoyah?

hsfootballfan777

What is going on there? Parents too involved? I heard something like a bunch of the kids took fall break and skipped out then thought they could just show back up and play? The talent is there but they hit rock bottom.What is going on out there in Chief land? I enjoy catching games there

The talent isn't there, they gave up 33 to Polk County and 50 to Sweetwater. Sequoyah has had 3 seasons with a winning record since 2000. This was just another average year for them. I've heard a rumor that they are going to combine Vonore's and Madisonville's 6th 7th and 8th graders into a middle school team. Not sure if there's any truth to that or if it will even help at all.

The talent isn't there, they gave up 33 to Polk County and 50 to Sweetwater. Sequoyah has had 3 seasons with a winning record since 2000. This was just another average year for them. I've heard a rumor that they are going to combine Vonore's and Madisonville's 6th 7th and 8th graders into a middle school team. Not sure if there's any truth to that or if it will even help at all.

As should the whole Sequoyah Conference......There should be 2 Middle School teams in McMinn County.....The foundation is in place to make that happen.....The Sequoyah conference needs to relent on the rule of a community having to have 4 teams...Go back to three....and let Middle School types football start in McMinn County, Tellico, Madisonville, Sweetwater....Play those on Thursday

As should the whole Sequoyah Conference......There should be 2 Middle School teams in McMinn County.....The foundation is in place to make that happen.....The Sequoyah conference needs to relent on the rule of a community having to have 4 teams...Go back to three....and let Middle School types football start in McMinn County, Tellico, Madisonville, Sweetwater....Play those on Thursday

Great idea!!!!!

I don't think reducing the number of teams will improve the product at the high school level. Some of those kids that aren't superstars but can be developed into good players or role players will turn away from football if they are cut from a team.

I will agree, though, that it would be good to have the older teams play on Thursday nights in their own separate league. Especially considering that Loudon, Lenoir City, and Greenback don't field Juniors teams anymore and Roger's Creek is shutting down.

Edited by TigerNation

I don't think reducing the number of teams will improve the product at the high school level. Some of those kids that aren't superstars but can be developed into good players or role players will turn away from football if they are cut from a team.

I will agree, though, that it would be good to have the older teams play on Thursday nights in their own separate league. Especially considering that Loudon, Lenoir City, and Greenback don't field Juniors teams anymore and Roger's Creek is shutting down.

What you may not be doing though is considering the kids that may continue playing football that quit after the eighth grade.  You obviously know football so let me explain my thought.  Many kids, on our side of the creek decide not to continue playing football.  I think it is because some of these kids are not in tune with a bond that is found in high school ball.  Many athletes are walking the halls that IMO, if they played with the kids at the 7th and 8th grade level, may be more likely to continue playing in high school.  Plus for some programs the interest in football is not there.  Year around basketball, baseball, and soccer is pulling some these guys away.

I know in Meigs, they do a good job of peaking these types of kids interest in football, in turn you have a successful program.

What you may not be doing though is considering the kids that may continue playing football that quit after the eighth grade. You obviously know football so let me explain my thought. Many kids, on our side of the creek decide not to continue playing football. I think it is because some of these kids are not in tune with a bond that is found in high school ball. Many athletes are walking the halls that IMO, if they played with the kids at the 7th and 8th grade level, may be more likely to continue playing in high school. Plus for some programs the interest in football is not there. Year around basketball, baseball, and soccer is pulling some these guys away.

I know in Meigs, they do a good job of peaking these types of kids interest in football, in turn you have a successful program.

I see what you're saying, and I'm not outright disagreeing with it, I just believe that if you want a successful program you need players and if you want players you need teams. You can only play 11 at a time so if you combine Englewood and Etowah, for instance, you will get a 40 player team. 10 of them are going to quit off the bat because they're not playing. That's going to leave 30 players and about 10 of them won't get much playing time, which means half your potential players are not being developed.

I think the big underlying factor is the coaching. Too many parents are involved for the wrong reasons and too many good coaches are ran off by the parents. All the teams in the Sequoyah League are community driven teams, they should invest in quality coaches, especially at the 7th and 8th grade level. Not saying there aren't good coaches at the level now, just think it should be a top priority if you want successful high school programs.

Little League over in Roane County and Spring City still has 4 little league teams and middle school gets 6-8 grade kids. We have 4-5, 6-7, 8-9, & 10-11 years olds

I see what you're saying, and I'm not outright disagreeing with it, I just believe that if you want a successful program you need players and if you want players you need teams. You can only play 11 at a time so if you combine Englewood and Etowah, for instance, you will get a 40 player team. 10 of them are going to quit off the bat because they're not playing. That's going to leave 30 players and about 10 of them won't get much playing time, which means half your potential players are not being developed.

I think the big underlying factor is the coaching. Too many parents are involved for the wrong reasons and too many good coaches are ran off by the parents. All the teams in the Sequoyah League are community driven teams, they should invest in quality coaches, especially at the 7th and 8th grade level. Not saying there aren't good coaches at the level now, just think it should be a top priority if you want successful high school programs.

I can be corrected if I am wrong, but I believe Englewood had to move a few boys up to make a junior team.  I do get your logic about to many players.  Maybe they could do a jv type junior game on Saturday with 7th graders, and 8th grade and more developed 7th on Thursday.  

Meigs Junior Team is the middle school team......I am pretty sure.....If  Loudon, Lenoir City and Greenback do not have junior teams, it is time for the Englewood and Etowah to end  to end the short-sightedness and play with just one 7th and 8th grade team.......No different than McMinn Fire, Central Knights Baseball.....Hurts the kids when they get to high school....

I can be corrected if I am wrong, but I believe Englewood had to move a few boys up to make a junior team.  I do get your logic about to many players.  Maybe they could do a jv type junior game on Saturday with 7th graders, and 8th grade and more developed 7th on Thursday.  

Englewood and Etowah should seek some compromise and combine the programs. Coach Derrick attempted to coordinate that but never did reach a consensus.....With the county doing middle school in baseball, softball, and basketball surely we can find a way to get football included.

Meigs Junior Team is the middle school team......I am pretty sure.....If Loudon, Lenoir City and Greenback do not have junior teams, it is time for the Englewood and Etowah to end to end the short-sightedness and play with just one 7th and 8th grade team.......No different than McMinn Fire, Central Knights Baseball.....Hurts the kids when they get to high school....

It is, it's just not technically affiliated with the school. The school has some influence in it though. I didn't know numbers were low at Englewood, Meigs didn't play them this year. The Sequoyah League won't change. It's nice to dream, though.