District 11AA 2017

EveryoneFOCUS

Congrats to everyone on another season! Congrats to Camden for winning the regular season and district championship! I find it very sad however that Coach Dave Roberts was not given Coach of the Year. With all due respect to Creekwood's coach but I cannot remember a season that the coach of the reg season champs did not win coach of the year. Not sure what went on during the vote but IMO it should have gone to Coach Roberts. And as far as tourney MVP goes it was prob about even for Womack and Vick. Both had an excellent run during the tourney carrying their team at different times. I was happy to see that Vick won both his final season in 11AA. It has been great watching him grow into such an impressive player these past 4 years. And the story from Beagle about the little kid does not surprise me one bit. He is a very humble person and loves to speak to anyone who loves basketball! Best of luck to him at TN Tech. Best of luck to the teams in the regional tourney!

• Upvote 1

How hard did he recruit him?

Dunno if he did  but that was 5 years ago so he was a home schooled  8th grader and I believe has been a teacher at that camp  ever since.

Would it even be recruiting if a kid has never gone to public school in his life?

Edited by Beagle

Congrats to everyone on another season! Congrats to Camden for winning the regular season and district championship! I find it very sad however that Coach Dave Roberts was not given Coach of the Year. With all due respect to Creekwood's coach but I cannot remember a season that the coach of the reg season champs did not win coach of the year. Not sure what went on during the vote but IMO it should have gone to Coach Roberts. And as far as tourney MVP goes it was prob about even for Womack and Vick. Both had an excellent run during the tourney carrying their team at different times. I was happy to see that Vick won both his final season in 11AA. It has been great watching him grow into such an impressive player these past 4 years. And the story from Beagle about the little kid does not surprise me one bit. He is a very humble person and loves to speak to anyone who loves basketball! Best of luck to him at TN Tech. Best of luck to the teams in the regional tourney!

The Fairview coach should have gotten Coach of the Year. The turnaround they made from last year to this year is absolutely remarkable.

Was lucky enough to see all semifinal and final games. Some of the best games I have seen all year. All four representatives from 11AA moving to the region bracket played great. While the matchups may not favor the 11AA teams, they are definitely playing good basketball at the right time.

Good luck to all 4 teams.

Congrats to the 4 regional teams! Just bad luck for SC that CPA lost in the semifinals...meaning we will most likely host them in the 1st round of the regionals.

The Fairview - Creekwood matchup was as tight as everyone expected. 3rd time was a charm for Fairview as Bledsoe led the way. Dotson had an ok bounce back game for Creekwood, but wasn't enough to pull out the victory.

Which the main game I was there for was obviously the primetime matchup of Camden & Stewart County. The Rebels have hands down the best on-ball defender in the league with Caselli (which will be discussed at the bottom). He kept Vick contained all game. The problem for SC is not having anyone that could matchup against Diego. Cook played him tough early, but foul trouble allowed him to take over in the 2nd half. Camden's 3rd quarter run to start the half was the momentum shifter they needed.

Granted, no one expected the Rebels to make it to the championship. That in itself is a testament to the hard work and dedication those boys put in every day. I am just glad that we held our own for majority of the game.

Each game Saturday (boys & girls) was close, which allowed for some excitement...that's all we can ask for! #Entertainment

My opinion on the awards...

-Vick hands down MVP of the league...no questions

-Diego should have been Tournament MVP though. If not for him, they don't win against SC in finals

-Hard for me not to be biased on Coach of the Year...because Nick Wallace lost a slew of seniors from last years 2nd place team, plus lost Jacob Rose to injury in game 2 of the season (who can play any position on the floor and average 20 a game). Creekwood lost starters as well...but was Coach of the Year deserving? Its not like they dominated the District. Well Camden did dominate the district...but did coaching actually lead to the 2nd best player moving into town with Diego? Camden already had District 11AA's best player, most guys returning, and had a couple players move into town. Any way you slice it, you can argue for and against just about every coach in the top 4-5 teams...therefore, they just give it to the teams sitting at the top based on record.

-Now for Defensive Player of the Year, this is where I completely DISAGREE. Nothing against Spencer from Montgomery Central, but he is not a great defender. Offensive Player of the Year? I can agree with that if they had such an award for the best offensive guy after MVP. Spencer has been one of the best players in the district, but best pure DEFENDER (like the award states)? Easily Alessandro Casselli. Anyone at the tournament games saw how he dictated the play of two of the top offensive weapons in 11AA. He held Coulter Dotson to 12pts, with 3 of the made baskets being extremely tough shots on great defense. Casselli also held Vick in check to just 14pts, with a few of them coming with Casselli on the bench. Us in Stewart County have watched lock down defense like that all season.

When it comes to the first round regional games, I think Camden truly has the only chance of advancing. And even that isn't a given. District 12AA is just very tough top to bottom, and each of the top 4 could honestly make a solid run to the state tournament.

What are everyone else's opinions on the tournament, awards, & upcoming regional games?