Top 10 in State 2016

owlman1967

yes, it's a shame because it didn't used to be like this. Privates and Publics used to be a lot more similar than they are today. The playing field was much more level and our state overall was better for it. I mean I still root for my alma mater but I really hate what this D2 thing has become...

I don't think anyone will become a boarding school. I think data has shown over the years that boarding school attendance is way down from previous generations. I guess anything is possible though.

Not what I heard. I know that it was stated on our local radio that MUS was in the planning stages of becoming a boarding school because Ensworth is going to become one. The coach who was on the radio stated ... "it's becoming an arms race".

Things may have changed since that was said over the airwaves, but that is what I and many Memphians heard on a local sports talk radio station.

Edited by kwc

Not what I heard. I know that it was stated on our local radio that MUS was in the planning stages of becoming a boarding school because Ensworth is going to become one. The coach who was on the radio stated ... "it's becoming an arms race".

Things may have changed since that was said over the airwaves, but that is what I and many Memphians heard on a local sports talk radio station.

it's been a rumor about Ensworth for a while...they certainly have the money and land to do it, if that's what they want to do.  I don't see MBA or BA going down that road, but again, anything is possible these days...

Some of you may laugh at this because of the success Ensworth has had in sports but it' is a very difficult academic school and routinely the kids get home from some sort of practice eat quickly and are up till 11 doing work every night -

IMO some of the experimenting Ensworth did in the past with kids coming in who may be amazing athletes but could not do the school work are over - those days are over

Ensworth is not an easy academic school nor is MBA or many of the others. I just don't know why they would need to be a boarding school with the explosive Wealth in Nashville - the city is booming with Growth and they turn away kids now as they all do

Edited by baylorbigdog1976

Some of you may laugh at this because of the success Ensworth has had in sports but it' is a very difficult academic school and routinely the kids get home from some sort of practice eat quickly and are up till 11 doing work every night -

IMO some of the experimenting Ensworth did in the past with kids coming in who may be amazing athletes but could not do the school work are over - those days are over

Ensworth is not an easy academic school nor is MBA or many of the others. I just don't know why they would need to be a boarding school with the explosive Wealth in Nashville - the city is booming with Growth and they turn away kids now as they all do

I'm just telling what was said over open airwaves during rush hour traffic on my way to work one morning. Like I said, those plans may have changed. I don't know. But, that is what was said.

We have played and beaten D2 schools (MUS and CBHS) back when they were on our schedule and our program was not on the level it is on now. Ensworth lost to a 2a school last year, even tho they beat them this year as they should. Our coaches and team doesn't fear playing anyone. I don't know the details of whatever proposal that the Ensworth guy is talking bout y'all just too cocky and arrogant for no reason at all. You think y'all would win, we think we would win... The saga continues

First of all, I think the bloggers that start these IFL "pissing contests" should be taken out and flogged before being shot.  My personal belief is that if you choose to participate, it's best just to name your top ten alphabetically and leave it at that.  That being said, some context to your above statement is needed for fairness.  The MUS team that WHS beat in 2001 went 8-4 overall and 4-3 vs DII.  The 2003 MUS team also lost but went 4-7 overall and 2-5 vs DII.  In other words, the Owls were not the "cream" of DII those years.  Moreover, those games were played only because they were part of the defunct Bridges Classic.  Public schools will never understand why the privates get so frustrated over the lack of interplay between the 2 divisions.  The better teams really do have to scramble just to get a 10 game schedule and almost always have to travel OOS to do so, which can get expensive.  I don't remember off hand the last time MUS didn't have to play 3 OOS games.  It's a shame that MUS, BA, MBA and EHS can't get more games with the better public teams, not because it would prove any pecking order, but because it would be tremendous HS football.

Who is going to pay for said hotel and meals? Who is going to make it a requirement? Certainly not the TSSAA. It's great in theory (as are these debates that have been going on for the better part of 10 years), but until the TSSAA wises up and changes a few things, it isn't happening. Think of a week 0 collection of games at Vandy/MTSU (central locations for the state...definitely not Cookeville), where you have BA, Ens, MBA, Mcallie, Baylor, etc play Marville, Alcoa, Oakland, Whitehaven, Ravenwood, etc...can you imagine how much gate that would bring in? Or rotate it every year between middle (vandy/MTSU/Nissan stadium), west (liberty bowl), and East (Neyland, UTC). The TSSAA would never have to worry about money ever again. It would settle a lot of this discussion and high quality football/exposure for the whole state. It would like the ACC/Big Ten challenge in hoops every year.

very good idea

Just my two cents here...during the MBA-BA game, Steven Hargis, columnist for the Chattanooga Free Press, tweeted "watching the level of talent between these 2 private schools reminds me why public schools won't schedule them anymore." The gap between D2 and D1 has never been wider than it is right now, and that's why there is a split. We are playing with COMPLETELY different sets of rules. There's no comparison, and nor should there be. Imagine if George Quarles were drawing players from all over the Knoxville area? Or if kids could follow Creasy to Oakland from anywhere in Rutherford, Davidson, or Sumner Counties? OR Blade at Independence had 11-12 players from Nashville? Then it would be a fair comparison.

MBA, BA and ENS now all 3 have players from all over Middle TN. All three have basically unlimited financial aid to give out, and since the TSSAA erased the limit on the # of financial aid recipients who can dress out for football, there are tons of players receiving financial aid playing football. Take a look at the facilities at those 3 schools, or the number of staff members. It's like college football.

Whitehaven, Oakland, and Maryville are like Alabama, FSU, and Ohio St. We are like the NFL...totally different set of rules.

Great post!

Aiight. I can respect that.

MUS was not deep, was battered at the end of the season and no longer a top team..  Unless they could have gotten into a thrashing match with crutches....

Hope you are still reading because I wanted to congratulate you on setting a CoachT record for "longest troll" that likely will never be broken.  Your fingertips must be black and blue.  It was hilarious how long it took posters to realize you were repetitively "yanking their chains" and how some never did. 

BTW it may amaze you that I didn't get around to reading this thread until today and did so from start to finish without a break.  Then I took a very long hot bath.  In rubbing alcohol.  LOL

Edited by owlbooster

MUS was not deep, was battered at the end of the season and no longer a top team.. Unless they could have gotten into a thrashing match with crutches....

Hope you are still reading because I wanted to congratulate you on setting a CoachT record for longevity of a troll that likely will never be broken. It was hilarious how long it took posters to realize you were repetitively "yanking their chains" and how some never did.

BTW it may amaze you that I didn't get around to reading this thread until today and did so from start to finish without a break. Then I took a very long hot bath. In alcohol. LOL

Yeah, I had fun with that for a little while. Trolling can be addictive, if you aren't careful. LOL.

Man, that is a lot or reading. I figured you were lurking in the background just wondering how far this peeing match would go. Lol.

By the way, what is the more factual version of the boarding school issue? I made mention of what I heard on the radio one day. However, I don't remember how long ago it has been since I heard it. What do you have to add to this topic, if anything?

Just curious.

Most everyone realized what kwc was doing and most people were doing the same. I'm sure they enjoy the banter since if has been a while since they have been in the discussion of best team in state .. Better than sitting at home scratching your head reviewing a year that ended early.

Kwc is well respected on both sides and has always been a good sport with the conversation. My only gripe is when bhs looses his head and throws personal jabs at people that shut down a thread.

Im about done for the year - on to basketball . Was glad we didn't make the trip to Memphis his year . There are not many great memories on that field for me. I'm looking forward to seeing you guys back in the mix as I am sure you will be. About time for you guys to go on a multiple state championship run again. Amazing how this division goes in cycles

MUS was not deep, was battered at the end of the season and no longer a top team.. Unless they could have gotten into a thrashing match with crutches....

Hope you are still reading because I wanted to congratulate you on setting a CoachT record for "longest troll" that likely will never be broken. Your fingertips must be black and blue. It was hilarious how long it took posters to realize you were repetitively "yanking their chains" and how some never did.

BTW it may amaze you that I didn't get around to reading this thread until today and did so from start to finish without a break. Then I took a very long hot bath. In alcohol. LOL