News Paper coverage

QSouth89

It's truly disappointing that the Knoxville News Sentinel and local tv stations puts forth so little effort at covering local high school basketball. I was recently in Corbin Kentucky and they do 20 minutes of highlights on the local news. Do other areas of the state have similar issues? I know football is king here but it's gotten to the point of ridiculous. How do they pick an all KIL team or Prepxtra team when they don't see anyone play.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ease up Q. The New Sentinel has a full page every Friday to cover all high school sports. You expect something every day about every sport that's in season? What a concept....

Unless you're one of the big dogs in football, Fulton or Bearden in basketball and Farragut in baseball you're wasting your time perusing the paper.

We could start by wishing every box score made it in daily. You rarely get a basketball write-up. At least Saturday's paper has a small story about every football game. Show the kids a little love KNS!

The Leaf Chronicle does a horrible job.  They might cover a game or two a week, but with 8 high schools in Montgomery Co and numerous surrounding counties that doesn't seem nearly good enough.  Standings are never posted, which would be a lot more relevant for the local paper than more stories from the Associated Press.  

Thanks to media sources like majorprepsports.com, Memphissportszone.com, 901prepscoop.com, ultimateprepstv, iprepsmemphis, memphishoopers.com. etc,etc. We get our share of basketball news. The Commercial Appeal still does a great job of covering local high school sports overall, but not like they once did

The CA needs more writers, I think the city is too big for John Varlas to be covering sports by himself.

I'd love to see the same level of freelance effort for high school sports overall, not just football. I get that teams are playing multiple games per week, but in the case of basketball, I think a weekly summary in the Saturday edition of the paper would be reasonable. I'd buy a KNS subscription to support an effort like that.