KINGSTON FOOTBALL MOVING TO 6A?

Jacketsfan2001

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure.they have tried this before. But never made it this far..it will take away the county rivalries. And alot of kids will miss out on sports.but coaches will be able to pick and choose who makes the teams..it's crazy

There are still some hurdles, so it's not quite a done deal. I believe the final feasibility studies/planning are now underway. Obviously, this comes down to dollars and cents. As someone who pays very close attention to municipal budgets, something like this was probably inevitable. So I'll ask you Jacketsfan (or anyone else who wants to weigh in) - if you were tasked with making the final call, what would be the best way to handle this?

Either leave the schools like they are.or just combine maybe kingston.harriman.and Rockwood. .too much travel involved for all 5 schools.especially for the location of the new school

If you look at a map of Roane County, the current setup makes the most sense, without question. But this consolidation (like most) has everything to do with money (or the lack thereof), so I don't think there is any chance things are going to be left alone at this point. So unless residents are prepared to pass some kind of tax levy, or agree to a property tax hike, some form of consolidation is inevitable. And in east TN, you couldn't pass a tax levy to save someones own mother.

I don't like the idea of consolidating 5 high schools into 1 brand new school, for many of the reasons you and others have already cited. However, if the cost of staffing and maintaining 5 high schools is no longer feasible, why not consolidate to 3 instead? That would seem like a reasonable compromise.

If you look at a map of Roane County, the current setup makes the most sense, without question. But this consolidation (like most) has everything to do with money (or the lack thereof), so I don't think there is any chance things are going to be left alone at this point. So unless residents are prepared to pass some kind of tax levy, or agree to a property tax hike, some form of consolidation is inevitable. And in east TN, you couldn't pass a tax levy to save someones own mother.

I don't like the idea of consolidating 5 high schools into 1 brand new school, for many of the reasons you and others have already cited. However, if the cost of staffing and maintaining 5 high schools is no longer feasible, why not consolidate to 3 instead? That would seem like a reasonable compromise.

5 schools into one wow....

Even rwo big schools would be more reasonable. Divide the county near the river or interstate. That would pair up Oliver Springs, Harriman, and part of Kingston, while the South would combine Rockwood, Midway, and part of Kingston as well. If they stick with one school, I believe a decent amount of students living near the county line would try to go outside of the county for school.