Whitehaven picks up 10th game!

dannyq

21 hours ago, BlackHavenSenator said:

S/O to Cordova for having GUTS

The Memphis Sports Zone preseason highlight of the 2017-2018 Cordova High School football team.

That video is precisely what Danny and I are talking about with Cordova. Those guys have dedicated the season to beating Whitehaven. It's whats driving them. Just listen to how they answer the questions about this up and coming season ... to a man it's Whitehaven, Whitehaven, Whitehaven, and Whitehaven again.

Guts? ... nah ... it's deeper then guts with these guys.

Edited by kwc

Just now, kwc said:

The Memphis Sports Zone preseason highlight of the 2017-2018 Cordova High School football team.

That video is precisely what Danny and I are talking about with Cordova. Those guys have dedicated the season to beating Whitehaven. It's whats driving them. Just listen to how thy answer the questions about this up and coming season ... to a man it's Whitehaven, Whitehaven, Whitehaven, and Whitehaven again.

Guts? ... nah ... it's deeper then guts with these guys.

If you dedicate your season to beating 1 team, that's better than you, you're setting yourself up for disappointment. 

6 minutes ago, BlackHavenSenator said:

If you dedicate your season to beating 1 team, that's better than you, you're setting yourself up for disappointment. 

I don't know about all of that. What I'm confident in is this. Cordova isn't the only team on our schedule who is tired of losing to Whitehaven. I'm sure Ridgeway is pretty sick and tired of it as well. White Station is in the same boat. I'm not stating anything we don't already know though. I just didn't know how bad Cordova was feigning to beat us. Now I do. It's on wax.

Its easy to see why Cordova dropped the Madison game. That, and a really big payday because this game is going to be standing room only!

Edited by kwc

12 minutes ago, kwc said:

I don't know about all of that. What I'm confident in is this. Cordova isn't the only team on our schedule who is tired of losing to Whitehaven. I'm sure Ridgeway is pretty sick and tired of it as well. White Station is in the same boat. I'm not stating anything we don't already know though. I just didn't know how bad Cordova was feigning to beat us. Now I do. It's on wax.

Its easy to see why Cordova dropped the Madison game. That, and a really big payday because this game is going to be standing room only!

Oh it's definitely a MAJOR MONEY MOVE and we know Coach Jones not out here like these mealy mouth coaches and ADs from Upper MS Larger HS, Area Private Schools and the other so-called Regional Powers. He got the GUTS to sign that Home and Home. I salute him and his program. These other coaches need to take some notes from Coach Jones

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, BlackHavenSenator said:

Oh it's definitely a MAJOR MONEY MOVE and we know Coach Jones not out here like these mealy mouth coaches and ADs from Upper MS Larger HS, Area Private Schools and the other so-called Regional Powers. He got the GUTS to sign that Home and Home. I salute him and his program. These other coaches need to take some notes from Coach Jones

That being stated ... the season is Mithcell, Ridgeway, Cordova, Lausanne, Memphis East, Hamilton, Trezevant, Memphis Central, White Station, and then Germantown. Only one team on that schedule didn't play in the playoffs last season ... Hamilton. There is one team that lost in the 1st round ... Germantown, one team that lost in the 2nd round ... White Station, three quarter-finalists ... Mitchell, Ridgeway, and Central, one semi-finalist ... Cordova, and three state champs ... Lausanne, Trezevant, and East.

I think that is a pretty good and solid schedule in the preseason. Plenty of competition on that schedule. 

Edited by kwc
  • Upvote 1

21 hours ago, kwc said:

That being stated ... the season is Mithcell, Ridgeway, Cordova, Lausanne, Memphis East, Hamilton, Trezevant, Memphis Central, White Station, and then Germantown. Only one team on that schedule didn't play in the playoffs last season ... Hamilton. There is one team that lost in the 1st round ... Germantown, one team that lost in the 2nd round ... White Station, three quarter-finalists ... Mitchell, Ridgeway, and Central, one semi-finalist ... Cordova, and three state champs ... Lausanne, Trezevant, and East.

I think that is a pretty good and solid schedule in the preseason. Plenty of competition on that schedule. 

The Memphis Sports Zone highlight preview of Whitehaven's fellow Class 6A, Region 8 member ... the 2017-2018 Germantown Red Devils.

The Memphis Sports Zone highlight preview of Whitehaven's fellow Class 6A, Region 8 member ... The 2017-2018 Central Warriors.

Sunday Sports Brunch: Tigers-Wolves set for Sept. 1

John Varlas, USA TODAY NETWORK – Tennessee Published 10:00 a.m. CT Aug. 6, 2017

Tigers-Wolves set for Sept. 1

After a long summer of searching, the Whitehaven football team has finally found a 10th game for the 2017 season. And it will be a doozy.

On Sept. 1, the Tigers will play at Cordova in what will be a rematch of last year's 6A state semifinal. Whitehaven won that one 42-19 and went on to defeat Murfreesboro Oakland the following week to cap a 15-0 season and win its second championship.

"I thinks it's a great opportunity," said Cordova coach Anthony Jones. "I wanted to help out (Tigers) coach (Rodney) Saulsberry ... and with the game being on Labor Day weekend, I think it's going to be great."

Cordova had originally been scheduled to visit Madison, Miss. to play Ridgeland on Sept. 1 but were able to buy out their contract. The revenue generated by the crowd the game should draw will likely help compensate.

The addition of the Wolves makes an already-difficult Whitehaven schedule that much tougher. The Tigers also have games against the other Shelby County schools that won state titles last year, Lausanne (Sept. 8), East (Sept. 14) and Trezevant (Sept. 29).

Altogether, Whitehaven will play eight teams that had winning records in 2016.

Sunday Sports Brunch is a weekly look at movers, shakers and newsmakers on the Memphis sports scene, from youth level to the pros. If you have an item of interest, please contact John Varlas at john.varlas@commercialappeal.com.

Edited by kwc