Greeneville @ MoWest

DevilMan03

Morristown West is a very good football team, and they can run the football.  That will give them a chance to win the game.  Greeneville will need to play better on offense than they did against DB to win as easily as people are suggesting.  Greeneville caused some turnovers and was the beneficiary of some costly DB penalties last week, so their problems on offense were masked somewhat.  But they will have their hands full with Morristown West's running game and will need to score points.  If you go back and watch the Morristown West-Greeneville game from last year, it was very similar to the DB game last week.  Morristown West was running the ball at will, but couldn't punch it in due to some turnovers.  Then, they got impatient, started trying to throw the ball, and the problems just snowballed from there.

Greeneville better respect West, and Greeneville better be sharp on offense and tackle well on defense.  Either way, it is going to be a dog fight, as these two schools hate each other.

4 hours ago, DeeJay32 said:

Morristown West is a very good football team, and they can run the football.  That will give them a chance to win the game.  Greeneville will need to play better on offense than they did against DB to win as easily as people are suggesting.  Greeneville caused some turnovers and was the beneficiary of some costly DB penalties last week, so their problems on offense were masked somewhat.  But they will have their hands full with Morristown West's running game and will need to score points.  If you go back and watch the Morristown West-Greeneville game from last year, it was very similar to the DB game last week.  Morristown West was running the ball at will, but couldn't punch it in due to some turnovers.  Then, they got impatient, started trying to throw the ball, and the problems just snowballed from there.

Greeneville better respect West, and Greeneville better be sharp on offense and tackle well on defense.  Either way, it is going to be a dog fight, as these two schools hate each other.

Hate is a strong word for myself.I always respected the Morristown teams and players in all sports.It will take a very good game to beat MW this week,as it does pretty much every year.

5 hours ago, DeeJay32 said:

I think you might want to go back and re watch the Morristown West vs Greeneville game from Last year if you thought Morristown West was running the ball at will.  Daymion Blevins was the leading rusher with 22 yards on 14 carries and Forback 8-of-23 passes for 149 yards with West being held to under 200 yards of Total offense.  DB put up 422 yards with 164 coming on the Ground.  Your right it will be a dog fight because it always is, but to say the two schools hate each other is a little far fetched (Both teams respect each other).  I have many friends from both East and West when i played at Greeneville and went on to win quite a few intramural championships at UT playing with players from Greeneville, West, and East.  (Still friends to this day)

• Upvote 1

Perhaps the rivalry isn't as bitter as it was when West and Greeneville were in the same conference, but back when they were, there certainly was no love-loss for each other.  I think the teams have always respected each other because they both have been consistently good for so long.  But there are many rivalries in sports where the teams really dislike each other but still have mutual respect.  I think from Greeneville's perspective, that dislike/hatred had a lot to do with the fact that many years Morristown West was that hurdle they could not get over to make deep runs in the playoffs.  Greeneville was able to beat West a few times in the 2000-2010 era, but many of Greeneville's best teams over the years were put out of the playoffs by West.  Greeneville's distaste also likely stemmed from being a 2A-sized school having to get through West every year- a very good team playing at the top-end of 4A at the time with 100 players vs. Greeneville's 35.

I think all that really gave Greeneville a bad taste in its mouth towards West.  And maybe it was one of those one-sided rivalries where one team (usually the winning team) doesn't really have much of a reason to dislike the other.  And given Greeneville's recent success against West, maybe the rivalry isn't as bitter as it used to be.

But i promise you that if you ask anyone who was on those teams when they both were in the IMAC conference up until when Greeneville finally started playing in the classification for its actual enrollment, Greeneville and West was a very heated rivalry. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, DeeJay32 said:

Perhaps the rivalry isn't as bitter as it was when West and Greeneville were in the same conference, but back when they were, there certainly was no love-loss for each other.  I think the teams have always respected each other because they both have been consistently good for so long.  But there are many rivalries in sports where the teams really dislike each other but still have mutual respect.  I think from Greeneville's perspective, that dislike/hatred had a lot to do with the fact that many years Morristown West was that hurdle they could not get over to make deep runs in the playoffs.  Greeneville was able to beat West a few times in the 2000-2010 era, but many of Greeneville's best teams over the years were put out of the playoffs by West.  Greeneville's distaste also likely stemmed from being a 2A-sized school having to get through West every year- a very good team playing at the top-end of 4A at the time with 100 players vs. Greeneville's 35.

I think all that really gave Greeneville a bad taste in its mouth towards West.  And maybe it was one of those one-sided rivalries where one team (usually the winning team) doesn't really have much of a reason to dislike the other.  And given Greeneville's recent success against West, maybe the rivalry isn't as bitter as it used to be.

But i promise you that if you ask anyone who was on those teams when they both were in the IMAC conference up until when Greeneville finally started playing in the classification for its actual enrollment, Greeneville and West was a very heated rivalry. 

Well,I played against them but didn't hate MW.I'd have to say that the only team I had a pretty big dislike for was Erwin .That's because of the way the fans treated us in football or baseball when we went up there.Standing behind us,Drinking ,cursing and saying some pretty bad things,trying to pick a fight with us.Oh yeah,their offspring were a chip off the block as well.I told one of my coaches I was going to kill the next one of them that spit on me or bit me.MW,I respected .

10 hours ago, BatmanDevil said:

Well,I played against them but didn't hate MW.I'd have to say that the only team I had a pretty big dislike for was Erwin .That's because of the way the fans treated us in football or baseball when we went up there.Standing behind us,Drinking ,cursing and saying some pretty bad things,trying to pick a fight with us.Oh yeah,their offspring were a chip off the block as well.I told one of my coaches I was going to kill the next one of them that spit on me or bit me.MW,I respected .

im just glad the erwin people didnt urinate on you through a crack in the  "backer barn" door. That would have definately infuriated you i bet.....bottom line is MoW and GHS just basically dont care much for one another. Tomorrow night should once again be another hard hitting, close, finger nail munching barn burner.....forgive the flashback there batman.....with our Greene Team coming out with their pitchforks still intact 

3 hours ago, BVDevil said:

im just glad the erwin people didnt urinate on you through a crack in the  "backer barn" door. That would have definately infuriated you i bet.....bottom line is MoW and GHS just basically dont care much for one another. Tomorrow night should once again be another hard hitting, close, finger nail munching barn burner.....forgive the flashback there batman.....with our Greene Team coming out with their pitchforks still intact 

That's ok bvd,it would be funny if it had happened to anyone else in the world at the time.I don't know what all I said but I can still remember you laughing and keeping the door shut so I couldn't get to you..How about this one.Remember me challenging your manhood and talking you into letting your 3 or 4 year old nephew  punch you in the jaw.Still funny thinking about how hard it landed.I might have failed to mention that I'd taught him how to throw a pretty good punch.

2 hours ago, DeeJay32 said:

Given the lack of chatter, has everyone basically taken for granted that Greeneville wins this game easily?? Am I wrong for thinking this will be a very close game? 

Anyone thinks this will be a walk in the park,doesn't know their football history.Nobody wants to eat crow just like last week .Greeneville has a lot of work left to do and these 6A teams are a huge challenge but great for getting the team ready.Remember the loss during the back to back years.

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 10:42 AM, DeeJay32 said:

Doesn't look like West is doing anything at will except maybe turn the ball over...