Cleveland Basketball violates rules

Gr8bballfan

I feel like there have been opportunities to set precedents in regard to rules infractions for the past several seasons that have been completely ignored, with regard to recruiting, illegitimate transfers, and issues with coaches breaking specific rules. I truly hope that this is thoroughly investigated and it is taken seriously. If all that has been reported is true, this is an egregious violation, or multiple egregious violations, and should be dealt with as such.

However, it has been my experience that obvious infractions get little or no attention.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched the Fast Break AAU teams play many times and played against the 8th and HS teams but never saw 8th play with HS kids! Can't say if they practiced together or not! I am sure this is happening all over the State so to pick one as an example is not going to change anything! 

On 8/26/2017 at 0:11 PM, MAD SCIENCE said:

I think your missing the point. They played 8th graders with high schoolers , together in tournaments and practices at Cleveland High school during March @ April . High school AD was coaching them. Who happens to be a former girls basketball coach at Cleveland. (Karen Hall). Plus her assistant was a Cleveland middle school basketball coach. A lot of coaches are watching to see what Benard Childress rules on this. If the punishment is light then get ready for many more coaches doing the same thing! In 2017 everyone knows you can't have your AD recruiting middle schoolers by mixing them with your high school players til the summer. Farther more the AD can't be Coaching kids that go to her school during the no practice time .We shall see what happens.

I must be missing the point as well. I don't see the 8th Graders playing with 9th Graders during March & April as being any type of TSSAA Violation. The possible issue I see is the AD and school coaches directly "coaching" more than 3 of their own kids during that time. 

My child is just now a freshman and doesn't currently play on a travel team with any kids from his school, so I've never dealt with this issue but it's my understanding that the 50% Rule does not apply from the time the school's basketball team is eliminated for the season to the start of the next school year. It only applies from the 1st day of the school year until the team is eliminated for the year.  

50% Rule – Participation (includes practice or games) during the school year on a non-school team prior to the school season by students that will play the following season on the high school team is limited to 50% of the number of players required to play the game, which would be three in basketball. Only the specified number of students participating on a non-school team prior to the school season may be placed on the high school eligibility list the following season. Those students cannot be interchanged on the school’s team roster.

Again, I personally have never dealt with this so I could be wrong and would like to see for myself what other rule it would fall under. 

On 8/25/2017 at 6:39 PM, MAD SCIENCE said:

If this thread is true, I would think those 8th graders would be ineligible at Cleveland high school in basketball this upcoming season. No way can a High school AD coach 8th graders with high school players last March and April. 

Just sad for the 8th graders. I'm sure their parents had no idea they were doing something illegal. Most players will do what is ask of them. And if they were ask to play then they shouldn't be punished but whoever ask them should.

From what I'm hearing, Cleveland self reported the violation and the following sanctions have been imposed.  No open facilities for 30 days this fall. This includes conditioning, weight training, and coaches working with players.  So basically a 1 month dead period.  CHS will also give up two preseason scrimmages.  Furthermore they cannot have spring practice in 2018.  Looks like TSSAA dropped the hammer.

Just to clarify...high school AD could not coach 9th and up. That is a violation. However, the coach himself would be absolutely allowed to coach any 8th grader in AAU...for examples just in this past year alone of high school coaches coaching 8th graders (which will attend their high school), you can look at TN Flight. A couple of their coaches coached 8th graders until they graduated middle school (at that point, they are not allowed to coach them any longer). 

However, one can look at any big name AAU program across the state and see high school coaches DIRECTLY coaching their players whether it be at practices or games. It happens all the time. Honestly, this rule only hurts the people that are trying to abide by it BECAUSE most of the bigger name coaches have influence on their kids aau programs but it is never mentioned and they know for the most part they will get by with it. 

To say that TSSAA should drop the hammer on Cleveland is naive considering how widespread it is. Honestly, for the coaches that don't care to work (as a lot of em would NOT), I wish TSSAA would consider changing their AAU policy. Let high school coaches coach AAU programs with the requirement that more than 50% can't be from their high school IF they coach high school age groups. Don't take the better coaches out of the AAU ranks. Some of these kids need that coaching and it would improve the overall product that the game is producing in my opinion. 

If you can practice your high school players in March, April, May and mix middle schoolers with them and play in tournaments, and the punishment is loosing one month of open gym next school year then everyone should be doing it. In the past I thought Benard Childress ruled those 8th graders ineligible for one year at the high school who violated this serious rule. You can't practice and play 8th graders with your high school team period . If your a employee at that high school. If one of the private schools did this they would have gotten the death penalty !

6 hours ago, Play 4 Fun said:

Just to clarify...high school AD could not coach 9th and up. That is a violation. However, the coach himself would be absolutely allowed to coach any 8th grader in AAU...for examples just in this past year alone of high school coaches coaching 8th graders (which will attend their high school), you can look at TN Flight. A couple of their coaches coached 8th graders until they graduated middle school (at that point, they are not allowed to coach them any longer). 

However, one can look at any big name AAU program across the state and see high school coaches DIRECTLY coaching their players whether it be at practices or games. It happens all the time. Honestly, this rule only hurts the people that are trying to abide by it BECAUSE most of the bigger name coaches have influence on their kids aau programs but it is never mentioned and they know for the most part they will get by with it. 

To say that TSSAA should drop the hammer on Cleveland is naive considering how widespread it is. Honestly, for the coaches that don't care to work (as a lot of em would NOT), I wish TSSAA would consider changing their AAU policy. Let high school coaches coach AAU programs with the requirement that more than 50% can't be from their high school IF they coach high school age groups. Don't take the better coaches out of the AAU ranks. Some of these kids need that coaching and it would improve the overall product that the game is producing in my opinion. 

WOW! So you are advocating a recruiting free for all! Should be exact opposite there are way too many TSSAA Coaches, asst Coaches, etc already Coaching AAU programs! The larger AAU programs thru out the State are already being Coached by too many HS and MS Coaches! Leaves too much room for recruiting! 

7 hours ago, Play 4 Fun said:

That's RIDICULOUS, you have got to be kidding. What 3 girls get to play for their coach. Who picks them? Those 3 would have the upper hand on the others "NOT FAIR". So the best 3 will play. You must be Clevelands head coach. No wonder they are in so much trouble. Keep the best forget the rest. Great policy. HS coaches have NO business in the AAU game.