cloudland vs hampton

THE KING

4 hours ago, orngnblk said:

We are alot alike about that subject.Passing is fun to watch when its working but to many variables in close games.If there is a chance i can keep it on the ground and win thats what i would do.Kinda like Thurs,we dug in and ran it down their throats.I like that kinda football.

They invented passing to help  a team that struggled to run. You need a solid threat to keep the D honest, some teams can make a living on it ,but very few. Hampton knew Cloudland wasn,t going to throw it and they sold out on the run. Cloudland tried to burn um a few times but passing never hurt Hampton. Bottom line ,if Cloudland can run the ball ,its game on ,if not, its game over, its a fine line.

18 minutes ago, pujo said:

They invented passing to help  a team that struggled to run. You need a solid threat to keep the D honest, some teams can make a living on it ,but very few. Hampton knew Cloudland wasn,t going to throw it and they sold out on the run. Cloudland tried to burn um a few times but passing never hurt Hampton. Bottom line ,if Cloudland can run the ball ,its game on ,if not, its game over, its a fine line.

If Cloudland had caught those very good passes, it would have been game over much sooner. 

17 minutes ago, uknoit2 said:

If Cloudland had caught those very good passes, it would have been game over much sooner. 

And thats a reason people hesitate to throw the thing, too many things can go wrong. Its a huge benefit to have a good passing game  but you have to have good pass protection, a smart an acurate QB  ,dependable receivers who run good crisp routes.Football is a pretty complicated game these days ,its morphed over the years.

2 hours ago, pujo said:

And thats a reason people hesitate to throw the thing, too many things can go wrong. Its a huge benefit to have a good passing game  but you have to have good pass protection, a smart an acurate QB  ,dependable receivers who run good crisp routes.Football is a pretty complicated game these days ,its morphed over the years.

+1

4 hours ago, pujo said:

We threw the ball more in 93 and 94 than any other cloudland team ever.  Robbie and Eric were good qb's.  I have 7 games on VHS where we threw the ball over 20 times.  We had 4 recievers who weren't blazing fast but they had good hands.  Jon Bare caught 2 touchdown passes in the last 5 mins to beat Unaka after they had shut us out the bulk of the game.  Donnie Sosh caught I don't know how many TD's.  He caught one to beat HV that same year.  And Brian Russell threw 2 to him in 93 to beat coalfield.  The bread and butter has always been the running game but no one put 9 men in the box against us during those years

2 hours ago, THE KING said:

We threw the ball more in 93 and 94 than any other cloudland team ever.  Robbie and Eric were good qb's.  I have 7 games on VHS where we threw the ball over 20 times.  We had 4 recievers who weren't blazing fast but they had good hands.  Jon Bare caught 2 touchdown passes in the last 5 mins to beat Unaka after they had shut us out the bulk of the game.  Donnie Sosh caught I don't know how many TD's.  He caught one to beat HV that same year.  And Brian Russell threw 2 to him in 93 to beat coalfield.  The bread and butter has always been the running game but no one put 9 men in the box against us during those years

It's a BLAST when you have backs and receivers with good hands and a QB that can put it on line in the pocket or off a scramble.

I don't think LJ dropped one pass at back...Heck, JJ Chambers may have never dropped a pass either. We loved to see 8 in the box! 

We weren't as fast as those hampton teams but we were loaded with players who could catch and backs who could run.  Arnett, Barnett,  and Webb were the backs. Bare, Sosh, markland, and Johnson were the receivers.  The competition was tough.  We were in a region with coalfield and knox Catholic.  Unaka and hv were both strong.  The hampton rivalry was still there. Every single game was hotly contested.   We never could get far in the playoffs because battle ground academy,  DCA, south pitt were all loaded