Melrose @ Covington Round 1

CHARGERFAN

Melrose will make the trip to Covington to open the playoffs. This is apparently not the same type of Melrose team we have seen in the past. unapproved website shows them at 2-7. Covington has run off 9 straight wins after losing their opener to Munford (a 5A team ranked in the AP top 10 all year). 

I would expect the Chargers to take care of business here. How do you see it?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right now Covington is my pick to make the trip to Nashville to take on Pearl Cohn the day after Thanksgiving.

Melrose is no longer the feared team they once were back in the 90s and early 2000s. Still one of the best games I have ever seen live was the 2004 State Championship Game between Melrose and Maryville. You talk about a slobber knocker.

I'm thinking we will have to beat Milan and then Raleigh Egypt to do so but I think our boys are up to the challenge.

48 minutes ago, Gerry Bertier said:

Right now Covington is my pick to make the trip to Nashville to take on Pearl Cohn the day after Thanksgiving.

Melrose is no longer the feared team they once were back in the 90s and early 2000s. Still one of the best games I have ever seen live was the 2004 State Championship Game between Melrose and Maryville. You talk about a slobber knocker.

I like what Justin Fuente used to say when he was the Memphis coach "We need to go 1-0 this week". I'm very happy winning round 1, then we can discuss round 2.

The playoffs are unique - you win, you advance. You lose, you go home. Covington has a good track record in the playoffs, having played for the Gold Ball three times since 2000 (finishing second all three times). None of that matters this year, though, except for the fact that Coach Marty Wheeler has been there before. I do think that his playoff experience will prepare our guys to make a run.

On 10/28/2017 at 1:50 PM, Gerry Bertier said:

I appreciate the props, but I really would not relish having to play Pearl-Cohn on their field. The indicators I look at show them to be favored by between 13 and 17 points against a Covington team.

Now, if Covington could advance, I would sure make the trip, but Pearl-cohen's power ranking is formidable. It appears that they are ranked 15th in the state, regardless of classification. That means that they are ranked ahead of some pretty good 6A, 5A, and 4A teams. 

23 hours ago, Truck78 said:

It would surprise me if Raleigh Egypt beats Bolivar, boliver is a good team that has played a tough schedule,  Raleigh Egypt hasn't played anyone yet. Covington 47 Melrose 0

Don't think they will have problem with Bolivar unless Bolivar score like 50 points there defense is awful. Covington is looking good in practice this week!!

On 10/31/2017 at 0:34 PM, Truck78 said:

It would surprise me if Raleigh Egypt beats Bolivar, boliver is a good team that has played a tough schedule,  Raleigh Egypt hasn't played anyone yet. Covington 47 Melrose 0

I wouldn't call Region 7 - 6A, Arlington a nobody. They are currently the #2 seed going into the post season. Raleigh-Egypt beat them at their place in the first game of the season. This is Raleigh-Egypt's 2nd year in a row going undefeated. Raleigh-Egypt beats Bolivar easily. This isn't last year's Raleigh-Egypt team.