White House Football

Devil21

14 hours ago, Copacanobra13 said:

Yes... another good season... "the greatest barrier to be great, is being good."  Being good makes you complacent, it makes you satisfied with being just above average and prevents and from achieving everything you're capable of achieving.  

It is not u realistic to compare coaching.  If I would've been coached in high school the way I was coached in college I would've been an all state player at least.  I swear the difference was astounding! If you think there's no room to bash coach porter then you obviously have never played for him.  

Once again, I love coach porter.  He's a great family friend (I get in arguments with my family about him often), a great community man, a great fundraiser! But as far as Xs and Os, he just doesn't have it. Bottom line.  Idk how the 90s guys feel about him, but any player I've talked to from 2003 and on will tell you the same thing.  

Cop..What year did you graduate and how many years of college ball did you play?  Did you start in college?

Here's the truth of the situation. I am not a WH fan. Never have been. Never will be. With that said I find it incredibly distasteful that a former player that claims to be family friends of Coach Porter bashes him. Critique? Sure, but to pretend the man knows nothing of football is silly. WH went 0-10 last year. They changed their schedule up to insure that didn't happen again and it cost them come playoff time. I called it, but hey they were 11-1 and not 0-10, so kudos on a great season. 

1 hour ago, BooWhoWiseMan said:

Cop..What year did you graduate and how many years of college ball did you play?  Did you start in college?

2011 was my senior year of high school football.  I played special teams my freshmen and sophomore year in college, but I had to leave before the start of my junior year because of the financial situation.  

1 hour ago, eers said:

Here's the truth of the situation. I am not a WH fan. Never have been. Never will be. With that said I find it incredibly distasteful that a former player that claims to be family friends of Coach Porter bashes him. Critique? Sure, but to pretend the man knows nothing of football is silly. WH went 0-10 last year. They changed their schedule up to insure that didn't happen again and it cost them come playoff time. I called it, but hey they were 11-1 and not 0-10, so kudos on a great season. 

I don't really think I said anything distasteful.  I complimented him in a lot of areas because I think he's a good dude.  All I said was he's not good with the Xs and Os.  Its not like I'm the only person to say this stuff.  A lot of people that I talk to around White House football have similar opinions.  Like you said, you're not a White House fan and have probably never even interacted with coach Porter on a football field, so you really wouldn't know.  

2 minutes ago, Copacanobra13 said:

I don't really think I said anything distasteful.  I complimented him in a lot of areas because I think he's a good dude.  All I said was he's not good with the Xs and Os.  Its not like I'm the only person to say this stuff.  A lot of people that I talk to around White House football have similar opinions.  Like you said, you're not a White House fan and have probably never even interacted with coach Porter on a football field, so you really wouldn't know.  

I have interacted with Coach Porter, but that's neither here nor there. It's just distasteful for a fan and alumni to make the comments you're making on a public forum. If you want a different coach, I get it. Every coach understands they will have those that want change, it's part of it. Now that you have experienced that great collegiate coaching, perhaps you should go make a difference and coach...

12 minutes ago, eers said:

I have interacted with Coach Porter, but that's neither here nor there. It's just distasteful for a fan and alumni to make the comments you're making on a public forum. If you want a different coach, I get it. Every coach understands they will have those that want change, it's part of it. Now that you have experienced that great collegiate coaching, perhaps you should go make a difference and coach...

I'm not sure what comment I made that was so terrible.  I would love to coach football.  If I wasn't a part of my family's business, coaching is absolutely where I would want to be.   But for now I'll have to stick to being a has been wishing I could relive the glory days lol 

22 hours ago, Copacanobra13 said:

2011 was my senior year of high school football.  I played special teams my freshmen and sophomore year in college, but I had to leave before the start of my junior year because of the financial situation.  

You would think a player as good as you claim to be could have earned some scholarship money.  I mean come on after getting that great coaching at the next level you would think the college would want to keep an athlete of your caliber!!  I mean "all state" with a little coaching.  Come on dude.  I have no clue about WH but I bet the reality is that like the majority of schools their athletes are no where as good as mommy and daddy think.  And the reason college coaching is better than that of high school is because they have athletes that are close to the same level while high school coaching have to work their butts off to get kids in position to just line up.  It is comparing apples to oranges and for you to do that shows how little football that you truly know.  Go play play Madden on the Xbox and stroke your own ego kid!!!  Rediculous to question a man such as Porter

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BooWhoWiseMan said:

You would think a player as good as you claim to be could have earned some scholarship money.  I mean come on after getting that great coaching at the next level you would think the college would want to keep an athlete of your caliber!!  I mean "all state" with a little coaching.  Come on dude.  I have no clue about WH but I bet the reality is that like the majority of schools their athletes are no where as good as mommy and daddy think.  And the reason college coaching is better than that of high school is because they have athletes that are close to the same level while high school coaching have to work their butts off to get kids in position to just line up.  It is comparing apples to oranges and for you to do that shows how little football that you truly know.  Go play play Madden on the Xbox and stroke your own ego kid!!!  Rediculous to question a man such as Porter

Kind of my point...

15 hours ago, BooWhoWiseMan said:

I mean you can watch my junior year highlights on YouTube, my name is Alan Cope.  I definitely was not a superstar by anyones standards including my mom and dad.  I went to a D3 school.  D3 schools technically don't give athletic scholarships.  The school costs $43,000 a year and we were paying  $22,000.  So I was getting a lot of scholarship money, but it still wasn't enough.  I just think it's hilarious that two guys who are not White House fans think they would know more about how good coach porter is at the Xs and Os of football than someone who has actually been a part of it.  I'll reiterate one more time, I like coach porter as a person. I think he is a good man, a good fundraiser, a good community man, and I think he does the best he can at instilling discipline in the kids.  But the Xs and Os just aren't there.  And the only people that ever disagree with me on this point are people who haven't played for him.  Now obviously I haven't talked to every former player so there's probably some that disagree with me, but up to now I've never talked to a former player that disagrees with what I am saying.  

I get what you are saying about college.  But WH does not have the athletes that others schools have.  Name the last DI athlete not lineman that came from WH.  They have tough good high school players.  No coach can perform maricles and more times than not the better athlete is going to win.  Yes you can scheme and make some plays here and there but you still have to have the athletes to execute.  A coach can call the perfect play to a WR that runs a 4.8 but that WR will get ran down after a 10-15 yard play by an athlete that runs a 4.6.  Did WH lose to a team with more athletes?

47 minutes ago, BooWhoWiseMan said:

I get what you are saying about college.  But WH does not have the athletes that others schools have.  Name the last DI athlete not lineman that came from WH.  They have tough good high school players.  No coach can perform maricles and more times than not the better athlete is going to win.  Yes you can scheme and make some plays here and there but you still have to have the athletes to execute.  A coach can call the perfect play to a WR that runs a 4.8 but that WR will get ran down after a 10-15 yard play by an athlete that runs a 4.6.  Did WH lose to a team with more athletes?

White House doesn't always have a ton of athletes every year, but every few years, including this year imo, they are loaded.  But every year no matter how many athletes we have we get put out in the 2nd or 3rd round of the playoffs.  Yes there were some pretty significant injuries this year, but we were better than JSS and should've played Springfield in the 3rd round.  I just want White House to raise the standard.  Right now everyone is satisfied with going to the second or third round and just being a 'good' team.  I understand you're not going to win state every year, but if that's not at least the goal then you're never going to win it. This was a good year and I'm proud to be a former blue devil.  Maybe I'm being ridiculous, but I want us to be great not just good.  That's all I'm trying to say.  

5 hours ago, Copacanobra13 said:

White House doesn't always have a ton of athletes every year, but every few years, including this year imo, they are loaded.  But every year no matter how many athletes we have we get put out in the 2nd or 3rd round of the playoffs.  Yes there were some pretty significant injuries this year, but we were better than JSS and should've played Springfield in the 3rd round.  I just want White House to raise the standard.  Right now everyone is satisfied with going to the second or third round and just being a 'good' team.  I understand you're not going to win state every year, but if that's not at least the goal then you're never going to win it. This was a good year and I'm proud to be a former blue devil.  Maybe I'm being ridiculous, but I want us to be great not just good.  That's all I'm trying to say.  

Not sure how a team that went 0-10 last year can all of a sudden be "loaded" this year.  If they played the same schedule as last year I bet they would be a 5-5 team at best.