The Knoxville News Sentinel

QSouth89

On 12/7/2017 at 10:08 PM, RaiseEmRightnPray said:

Is anyone surprised, given the disaster that was the local HS football coverage? It is horrible across the board. The girls get even less! It is past pitiful, and I don't even have a daughter playing. My subscription is now cancelled!

As for Packer......he gives SOME HS KIDS a lot of pub. But, he has a chosen handful of programs he chooses to promote, and that is it.....Farragut, South Doyle, Catholic, Maryville and his newfound pet, Greenback. They all had multiple games on TV this year, and there were a bunch of other worthy programs to promote that had great matchups.

That's STATE CHAMPION GREENBACK to you Karns Christian folk!LOL!

3 minutes ago, QSouth89 said:

Getting back on topic, it's PATHETIC that a city the size of Knoxville has no High School coverage.  I wish I owned a printing press, I'd do my own coverage and scores.

We didn't realize how good he was until Jesse Smithey moved up in the world and left the KNS. He was committed to great coverage.....still is, just not in daily newspaper form.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, RaiseEmRightnPray said:

We didn't realize how good he was until Jesse Smithey moved up in the world and left the KNS. He was committed to great coverage.....still is, just not in daily newspaper form.

Smithey was great, but by the end of his tenure with KNS, it was evident that he had nothing to work with, resource-wise. Even when Smithey was there, a lot of the prep content was freelance. I don't think it really matters who the Prep editor of the KNS is anymore. Given the current KNS business/advertising model, we can say goodbye to local prep sports coverage. Sad but true.

Edited by osunut2

23 hours ago, osunut2 said:

Smithey was great, but by the end of his tenure with KNS, it was evident that he had nothing to work with, resource-wise. Even when Smithey was there, a lot of the prep content was freelance. I don't think it really matters who the Prep editor of the KNS is anymore. Given the current KNS business/advertising model, we can say goodbye to local prep sports coverage. Sad but true.

100% agree. It really is amazing if you think about it. We can get info on anything related to pro and college sports via ESPN, and many other sites. However, we cannot gain access to local youth sports news via other sources. They've effectively chosen to eliminate a whole generation of sports news availability.

43 minutes ago, RaiseEmRightnPray said:

100% agree. It really is amazing if you think about it. We can get info on anything related to pro and college sports via ESPN, and many other sites. However, we cannot gain access to local youth sports news via other sources. They've effectively chosen to eliminate a whole generation of sports news availability.

Now that the KNS is part of the USA Today network, there is little (if any) chance that their local prep sports coverage is going to improve. Not without additional funding/ad revenue.

I'm still surprised that, with all of the money/ad revenue being thrown at sites that cover college recruiting extensively (e.g., m#xpreps, 247sports, rivals, etc), many markets still struggle to provide quality prep sports coverage. As a financial supporter of the T, I would love to see Jim add a database that would allow plus users the ability to input box scores, statistics, and even game summaries or write-ups for a variety of prep sporting events (similar to what NFHS/Digital Scout).

Edited by osunut2