TSSAA please help with Officating

OrangeGuru

3 hours ago, OldSportsGuy said:

Okay. This thread is still going so here it is from the "Old Sports Guy":

Officials never get a close call right. It is always right on one side of the gym and wrong on the other. The biggest issue I have with officials is not being in the right spot, mechanics that are unrecognizable, and not talking with the players and coaches. I officiated for years and i rarely had an issue. When I did have issues it was always on close calls. Block/Charge is close at least 75% of the time. That is when being in the right spot, making the call with recognizable mechanics and talking with the players involved and the coach about what you saw. I officiated for decades and called 3 T's on coaches and a hand full of T's on players. Why? Because I was in the right spot, I used recognizable mechanics which reduced confusion, and I talked with the players and coaches.

It is a hard job that doesn't pay enough to make up for the miles, time, uniforms, fees, etc... I did it because I loved it.

So, to all the officials out there. If  you can't get to the right spot, your mechanics are awful, and you don't talk with the players and coaches I recommend you hang it up. It is not fair to the kids to keep officiating if you don't have those abilities.

Now to the fans, you paid your money yell as loud as you want but but don't make it personal. "You stink", "Awful call ref", "I can't believe you called that", etc... all good. "You are a ___________ fill in the blank", "I can't $@#%$#@ believe that", etc... Not good and you should be tossed.

Just an Old Sports Guy stating his opinions

Well said.  I would add that fans should not be yelling at officials by name.  I see it as disrespectful

1 hour ago, Indian said:

Last night's varsity refs did as well as I can remember in a while, and the reason, I barely remember anything they did. Hand checking, walks seemed to be called equally on both schools in both the boys and girls games. 

Refs do a good job not to make the game about them but about the kids. Its hard but those are always the best games. Consistency . Just call it and let the fouls land where they may if calling consistent.