TSSAA please help with Officating

OrangeGuru

8 hours ago, Bkbfan4ever said:

Totally disagree. Officials leaving saying that the "coaches, fans, and players" are the reason why there are less officials than the past is simply bologna, BS, whatever. I'm not buying that, and I will never buy that. It's a SCAPEGOAT! simple. 

An officials job is to ignore the criticism from fans. It's their job, simple. If an official feels like he/she made the right call and gets booed, or criticize by coaches/players, why bother? The official felt like he/she made the right call.

To sit here and blame it all on players, coaches, and fans is garbage and asinine. Sorry, just not buying it.

"Get paid to ignore the criticism.  It's their job, simple."  Who is this guy? 

How many of you would want to do a job where you get yelled at EVERY TIME you blow your whistle.

Fact is that every time an official makes a call, wrong or right, half the gym is happy and the other is not,  one coach is happy the other mad, that is just the way it is.   That will never change.   So how many of you want to do that job?  Not me.  Why would anybody?

Don't give me this mess about lowering standards because it is not like they had a choice.  You want games cancelled?  Kids not getting to play?  Number of games decreased?  Don't think so.  They don't have enough officials so they had to get them from somewhere so standards may have been lowered.  There are bad officials and good officials, just like  there are good and bad wherever you work.  

If you want to make things better, get a whistle and get involved.  More $ is not the answer, that will only hurt schools and attendance-can't tell me most people are not upset paying $6 to go to a game-because they have to pay those officials.  There is no easy answer but getting more people involved in the solution is a start.

I think fans, parents, coaches and officials have forgotten what they are there for - THE KIDS

Dîsagree that every time a whistle is blown half the gym is mad. I have seen countless times a whistle is blown that everybody in the building agreed. Problem is the exact same infraction is not called the next trip down the floor. That's what brings out people frustrations. It's the inconsistancy. It's officials who say they want and are there to do a good job and they know better than any one else in the room about the rules are too lazy to put the effort on the floor. Looking in the crowd, blowing bubbles with their gum and looking in the crowd for the momma that booed at them last time they called a foul when there was 4 players to block their view and was at opposite side if floor right in front of another ref with a clear look of the action. 

i do agree that money isn't the answer. in fact maybe the should lower the pay to get the ones that just want the check and see how fast they can get the game over officials out of the rotation of games. How about letting the coaches and fans get to show by voting right after the game by a show of hands if refs get the full check for doing a good job or for a bad job they can get 9cents because they were not worth a dime for the sorry job they just did. 

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 10:28 PM, crazzyness said:

I'm saying that's why the stock of good officials is dwindling. Because a decent chunk of new officials don't stick with it because after a year or two, they decide the abuse and ridicule they have to put up with simply isn't worth it, for ANY amount of money.

On another note, this is also why good teachers are getting harder and harder to find.

That's fine with me. As stated before, toss the rules. Let's get the high school level of sports to where the state Champs are known before the season begins. If your a kid and want to play for the fun of it, that's great. Make no mistake the way it's going the winners are not getting it done on the playing field. And it's not the refs falt.

12 hours ago, DCDadCoachFan said:

Dîsagree that every time a whistle is blown half the gym is mad. I have seen countless times a whistle is blown that everybody in the building agreed. Problem is the exact same infraction is not called the next trip down the floor. That's what brings out people frustrations. It's the inconsistancy. It's officials who say they want and are there to do a good job and they know better than any one else in the room about the rules are too lazy to put the effort on the floor. Looking in the crowd, blowing bubbles with their gum and looking in the crowd for the momma that booed at them last time they called a foul when there was 4 players to block their view and was at opposite side if floor right in front of another ref with a clear look of the action. 

i do agree that money isn't the answer. in fact maybe the should lower the pay to get the ones that just want the check and see how fast they can get the game over officials out of the rotation of games. How about letting the coaches and fans get to show by voting right after the game by a show of hands if refs get the full check for doing a good job or for a bad job they can get 9cents because they were not worth a dime for the sorry job they just did. 

Yes it is true.  Fans are biased and everytime a whistle is blown half the gym doesn't like the call, right or wrong. 

Are there bad refs, Yes.  Just like there are bad carpenters, plumbers, bankers, nurses and any profession you can think of.   There are people doing it who shouldn't be.  Getting younger people involved and properly training them is part of the answer, the other part is to keep crazy people from acting crazy at games.  Who would want to ref after going to any high school game in the state and watching fans, coaches, and players act nuts.

59 minutes ago, atrisk said:

That's fine with me. As stated before, toss the rules. Let's get the high school level of sports to where the state Champs are known before the season begins. If your a kid and want to play for the fun of it, that's great. Make no mistake the way it's going the winners are not getting it done on the playing field. And it's not the refs falt.

east not complaining about officials lol

1 hour ago, Bkbfan4ever said:

Yes it is true.  Fans are biased and everytime a whistle is blown half the gym doesn't like the call, right or wrong. 

Are there bad refs, Yes.  Just like there are bad carpenters, plumbers, bankers, nurses and any profession you can think of.   There are people doing it who shouldn't be.  Getting younger people involved and properly training them is part of the answer, the other part is to keep crazy people from acting crazy at games.  Who would want to ref after going to any high school game in the state and watching fans, coaches, and players act nuts.

There are bad people in every profession but with carpenters, plumbers, doctors, lawyers, grocers or even undertakers you can always go to another and change. You don't get to change refs. You stuck with them. And the good ones suffer because of the bad.

Say what you want about officiating, but officials are just like teachers. Regardless of how many years an official has been officiating, they’ll always deal with 14-18 year old kids,  which are way smarter, faster, stronger, and bigger than the athletes in the last century. Sometimes,  officials can’t keep up with the athletes (both on the basketball court and football field), and they know it. However, they want to keep officiating for as long as they want, which is understandable, before reality kicks in and they call it quits. 

However, I won’t sit here and call a veteran official (10+ years) more “quality” than an official that is less than 10 years in service. Time shouldn’t be the determine factor whether an official is a “quality” official or not.