TSSAA please help with Officating

OrangeGuru

On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 11:18 AM, DCDadCoachFan said:

TSSAA has to come on board and do something to help in training officials  that work the basketball games for the sake of the girls and boys that play the game. I am not looking for perfection just consistency. But competence should be required. Each year for past 10 years I am amazed at the ever increasing lower and lower standard the games are called at.  Last night I witnessed the games in Henry County, I would have been ashamed to have those referees call a game if I was TSSAA or show up in our home gym and do what they did on the floor last night. TSSAA should adopt the system other states use and grade referees after each game with coaches having to file a report within 24 to 48 hours of the performance by each referee. Them eliminate the consistently bad reports after reviewing game film each school could provide.  Review and Replace needs to begin now. Its just sad that kids work so hard on both teams to be subjected to a referee would shouldn't be on the floor. It takes away from the game.

I was at that game and although there were a handful of calls that could have gone the other way, most of the calls were the right call.  I was at Dyer county last year in the same scenario and I would say that you were probably quite pleased with the calls there.   I watched a very physical game from the Dyer county side and thought that the referees got tired of calling fouls and started letting a lot go.   My opinion is biased and so is yours.   The referees were probably the only ones in the gym that were not.

22 hours ago, Tnrazrbac10 said:

I have tried to get people to sign up to officiate, but they say the same thing " THERE IS NOT ENOUGH MONEY TO GET ME ON THAT COURT AND TAKE THAT ABUSE."

+100

Bottom line - When you don't have the bodies, quality will eventually suffer, and that's what we are seeing. The only realistic way you combat this problem is to pay officials more money, and that's not going to happen, especially at this level.

Edited by osunut2

3 hours ago, HCHSladyPats said:

I was at that game and although there were a handful of calls that could have gone the other way, most of the calls were the right call.  I was at Dyer county last year in the same scenario and I would say that you were probably quite pleased with the calls there.   I watched a very physical game from the Dyer county side and thought that the referees got tired of calling fouls and started letting a lot go.   My opinion is biased and so is yours.   The referees were probably the only ones in the gym that were not.

Ahh pay back lol. Just a joke. Look I believe there was far more than a handful. If you remember the game, there were no fouls called until 7:40 in the 2nd quarter and with as many as fouled out they certainly didn't quit calling fouls it just began. But even so the ones they called were just so crazy. Non the less, I am referring to the overall officiating I have seen this year and not at all only the game Monday night. It was just the latest poor example I am referring too.  I actually really enjoy coming to HC, it a fun place to watch a game. I hate it when it is so poorly officiated. I do believe if the game film was looked at, and hind site is 20/20, you and I would laugh together at some of the calls that were just terrible.

The only thing I have to add to this is there should be a physical requirement. The officials should be physically able to get to the right spot on the floor to put themselves in a position to make the right call. The games I have seen this year have been pretty bad and most of the missed calls come from the officials not being in the right spot. Not because they are not trying but because they are not physically able to get there.

Having a physical fitness requirement will help but not eliminate bad officiating. As long as humans are officiating there will be bad calls.

2 hours ago, mrbigster said:

Maybe the bigger schools like Dyersburg and Dyer Co are getting the elite and the small schools like LC are getting the worst I'm pretty sure the older or more elite officials get to pick their games and they choose to get the Dyersburg and Dyer Co games etc.So we get left with Jessie.Seems like the TSSAA should sign the games out and mix them up.If they send him to Gibson Co.,South Gibson,Obion Central,Dyersburg,Dyer co,no way we should see him twice a week and then at the middle school games.We have had him at the middle school the past 3 games..Please ,I pray I go to the gym tonight and I don't have to see him against Gleason.The police dept needs to ste up every time he does the Lc games and pull him over for something. Speeding, impersonating a TSSAA official. Then maybe he gets enough fines, he wont want to keep coming to Lake Co.

If Dyer County is getting the elite, man do I feel for you guys. I know the guy you referenced and we get him too. Along with some other that are not good.

The Gleason girls team you will see tonight is really talented. They have two Division 1 playes and they know how to play the game.  I enjoyed watching their point guard absolutely run the show. See the floor, controls tempo, makes the pass and makes sure best shot is taken. The other kid can flat score. I didn't see Gleason Boys team.

2 hours ago, OldSportsGuy said:

The only thing I have to add to this is there should be a physical requirement. The officials should be physically able to get to the right spot on the floor to put themselves in a position to make the right call. The games I have seen this year have been pretty bad and most of the missed calls come from the officials not being in the right spot. Not because they are not trying but because they are not physically able to get there.

Having a physical fitness requirement will help but not eliminate bad officiating. As long as humans are officiating there will be bad calls.

Very good point.

1 hour ago, Indian said:

From what I've seen, the younger and/or less experienced ones are doing at least as well as the ones I've seen for years. In some cases better-when you don't even notice them.

Agree here too. Its seems some of the guys that have been around for a while might think the game is about them. There is this one guy we always get down around Munford and Brighton especially in the District and Regionals that looks a lot like Curly off the 3 Stooges and he will yell at the coach from across the floor if a coach even tries to ask a question. Will make a call from across and at other end of floor and like me needs to lose 25 pounds. Sweats like a cold beer in 100% humidity. But there is a guy we get in Dyer County some, Not enough though) that doesn't ever say a word. If the call is questions he just listens to the coach and goes on. Never seen him change his expression at all.  Just disappears and lets kids play. Does he get it all right , no. But is consistent. Unlike the Curly in Munford, that says he always gets it right no matter what.

15 hours ago, mrbigster said:

Maybe the bigger schools like Dyersburg and Dyer Co are getting the elite and the small schools like LC are getting the worst I'm pretty sure the older or more elite officials get to pick their games and they choose to get the Dyersburg and Dyer Co games etc.So we get left with Jessie.Seems like the TSSAA should sign the games out and mix them up.If they send him to Gibson Co.,South Gibson,Obion Central,Dyersburg,Dyer co,no way we should see him twice a week and then at the middle school games.We have had him at the middle school the past 3 games..Please ,I pray I go to the gym tonight and I don't have to see him against Gleason.The police dept needs to ste up every time he does the Lc games and pull him over for something. Speeding, impersonating a TSSAA official. Then maybe he gets enough fines, he wont want to keep coming to Lake Co.

Hey. not sure who you got tonight but we ended up with the guy you mention. Games weren't much contest but he had his moments of blowing the call. But you iwe us. we absorbed your pain  tonight. 

So this is a weird post of what I am about to say because I officiate Football in a local association, but I agree with points on fans side and the referees side. First let me say this, I could be wrong, but I don't think I am wrong. In basketball, they have camps during the summer at UTM where officials can come up to Martin and work a few summer games. If you attend those camps, a referee eligibility to call postseason games are still available. If you don't attend those camps, a referee lose the eligibility to call those postseason games. So I do believe basketball does have camps where they force referees to call games in order to obtain their postseason eligibility. They totally leave the option up to the referee.

Second, assigners are a problem because they will have "their buddies" that'll get all the games and leave others out to hang. Send officials to schools far away knowing that game will be a blowout. They'll do this to tell the official "you haven't earned the right to call bigger games" while they're buddies are just as good as the official that calls the bad games. It can be very political at times.

Third, there's no film, well, in football there isn't. Officials call there games, and they leave. They'll receive their evaluation score if they're being evaluated. However, there's no game film for the official that just called his/her game. Why? I don't know. The technology in this world and we're less than 30 days from entering 2018, I'm sure this is something that can happen. There are officials that have no access to the game film that they just worked.

On 12/8/2017 at 8:16 AM, OldSportsGuy said:

Agree and this is something I want. If you tell an official that you have to run a certain distance in a certain mile, then you'll piss officials off and they'll quit. A lot of these officials enjoy calling games and do nothing in the offseason to improve themselves as officials. Then, if someone questions themselves as "why didn't you run or maintain your shape in the offseason?" The official will come back and say "Well heck, we're only getting paid $95 a game."

What I just said primarily is to the older officials. If they younger officials maintain their shape and physicality, then they will probably won't be an high school official for long, they'll move up to the college level when they're more experience.

Point is, officials will do anything and everything to get more pay in games, but less work (off the field/court) to do.