Girls State Tournament

cbg

With girls/female wrestling the TSSAA only has one state tournament for all classifications which includes D1 A/AA, D1 AAA and D2.  If it's an unfair advantage for the D1 A/AA & D1 AAA to compete against the D2 schools in all other sports why would that not be the same for the girls/female wrestlers?  I am not even sure that any of the D2 schools offer a girls/female wrestling program but if they do will the TSSAA have a D1 & D2 state tournament or will they do what should be done with the boys and have one individual state tournament for everyone?

• Upvote 1

On 1/9/2018 at 1:33 PM, cbg said:

With girls/female wrestling the TSSAA only has one state tournament for all classifications which includes D1 A/AA, D1 AAA and D2.  If it's an unfair advantage for the D1 A/AA & D1 AAA to compete against the D2 schools in all other sports why would that not be the same for the girls/female wrestlers?  I am not even sure that any of the D2 schools offer a girls/female wrestling program but if they do will the TSSAA have a D1 & D2 state tournament or will they do what should be done with the boys and have one individual state tournament for everyone?

If it’s an individual state tournament, why does it matter if the wrestler attends a big public school, a small public school, or a private school?

I totally understand and believe there should be multiple divisions, the more the better actually for team Duals but not for individual state.  The more teams that compete and have a shot to place at state tournament the better for growing our sport.  

But, individual state, boys or girls state the more we water down the individual state the more it hurts our state. For individual states all the athletes should be in a single state tournament.  The interest would be huge and would most likely triple the attendance at the state tournament.  Our sport needs to grow and this is the single best way we can grow our sport.  Plus, This would make placing at the state individual tournaments a true achievement. 

28 minutes ago, durdon said:

If it’s an individual state tournament, why does it matter if the wrestler attends a big public school, a small public school, or a private school?

I totally understand and believe there should be multiple divisions, the more the better actually for team Duals but not for individual state.  The more teams that compete and have a shot to place at state tournament the better for growing our sport.  

But, individual state, boys or girls state the more we water down the individual state the more it hurts our state. For individual states all the athletes should be in a single state tournament.  The interest would be huge and would most likely triple the attendance at the state tournament.  Our sport needs to grow and this is the single best way we can grow our sport.  Plus, This would make placing at the state individual tournaments a true achievement. 

I totally agree with what you are saying and have said for years that Tennessee should only have one state champion in all individual sports.  However, if it's not fair for the boys then it's not fair for the girls.  If one single D2 schools decides to offer wrestling the TSSAA will legally have to conduct a D2 girls state championship tournament.  

29 minutes ago, durdon said:

I usually agree with you but not on this one. I think that having 3 divisions in Tennessee is watering it down a little to much, but there definitely needs to be a private and public split. Private schools have so many more connections, boosters, and really a lot more freedom to travel to tougher tournaments and get better competition. Now i know that there are some public schools who have good funding and can travel good but thats like 1 out of every 50 teams in Tennessee. For example Mccallie, Christian Brothers, and Baylor have all got to travel to tournaments that make the state tournament in Tennessee look like a begginers tournament. Most of your public schools won't be able to leave Tennessee because they either they don't have the funds or they don't have the transportation.