Freshmen phenoms

RankWrestlers

1 hour ago, JMorton said:

Jonathan Morton from Elizabethton is ranked fourth in the state at 170 pounds and isn’t on this list. 

Sorry no offense but that means nothing. That’s in A/AA. Wouldn’t sniff the rankings in AAA. He has alot of losses and no significant wins. 170 is a very shallow weight in A/AA. He/you...I say you cause with a screen name like that...ya know. But anyways, Jonathan may end up being pretty good but right now there’s no way he’s done enough to be on this list. Best of luck in the future

Edited by Bump11

6 hours ago, Thethunda190 said:

No one going to throw Cooper Flynn into thi? I mean everyone does realize he is still a Tennessee kid and will wrestle In Tennessee this summer. 

Flynn is a monster. But he goes to school in Maryland right now and therefor doesn’t really fall on a list of Tennessee freshman

On 1/24/2018 at 1:11 PM, minnesota said:

While I understand and no doubt there are freshman in this category, or all grades for that matter. While I was coaching we received a tranfer from Paris Graham, his name was Robert Manier. And was JV behind Bo Nichols. Point being he was never ranked those years, and beat the Ohio state champ at Va nats when he started for us. It is too subjective I think to base on more than records during the current year. Even tho there are other great wrestlers who will shine soon 

im trying to follow this.. are you referring to Bo Nickal who is at Penn State

1 hour ago, Bump11 said:

Flynn is a monster. But he goes to school in Maryland right now and therefor doesn’t really fall on a list of Tennessee freshman

True.  Let's not forget that kids that attend private schools in Pennsylvania that compete in the National Prep School Tournament are not allowed to wrestle for Team Pennsylvania in the Dapper Dan Classic.  It's difficult to claim kids that do not even attend school in your state.  

2 hours ago, cbg said:

True.  Let's not forget that kids that attend private schools in Pennsylvania that compete in the National Prep School Tournament are not allowed to wrestle for Team Pennsylvania in the Dapper Dan Classic.  It's difficult to claim kids that do not even attend school in your state.  

Yep. Hopefully one day we will be lucky enough to have him here. Kid sure is fun to watch

3 hours ago, gettozero said:

im trying to follow this.. are you referring to Bo Nickal who is at Penn State

Yes,I was, sorry I was in a hurry when I wrote that in reference to there being very good freshman wrestlers in the state that are behind another good wrestler. I was coaching in Germany at a school for our (military) kids. We had a transfer who was JV behind Bo. He was incredible, AA(4th) at VA nationals for us that year and went on to wrestle for navy. And the point was that there are very good wrestlers not starting because of the school or wrestler they are behind. But to rank them without competition this year would be too subjective and in my opinion unfair to those who are competing. 

Edited by minnesota

17 hours ago, Bump11 said:

so not trying to argue but your telling me that since flynn decided to try to find the best opportunity for himself and went to a school that will travel and get him the opportunities and competition that he needs that tennessee doesn't want to claim him? His residence is still Tennessee and he will compete in the Tennessee freestyle/greco state tournament 

2 hours ago, Thethunda190 said:

so not trying to argue but your telling me that since flynn decided to try to find the best opportunity for himself and went to a school that will travel and get him the opportunities and competition that he needs that tennessee doesn't want to claim him? His residence is still Tennessee and he will compete in the Tennessee freestyle/greco state tournament 

I think the point is that since Cooper is wrestling his high school competition in Maryland that it would be tough to put him in a list compiled from freshmen wrestling for TN high schools.  I am willing to bet if we look that there is at least one GA resident in that list but he is competing for a TN high school, just the inverse situation.

I am sure TN will happily claim Cooper at events like Southeast Regionals, Cadet / Junior Duals, and Fargo if he does come back to TN in the spring / summer.  I don't think his exclusion from this list has anything to do with not wanting to claim Cooper... he just doesn't fit the parameters they are looking at.  Not to mention, that if we are being realistic, the list is compiled by a national service that is just data mining and wouldn't look into that kind of depth.

38 minutes ago, ghouse said:

I think the point is that since Cooper is wrestling his high school competition in Maryland that it would be tough to put him in a list compiled from freshmen wrestling for TN high schools.  I am willing to bet if we look that there is at least one GA resident in that list but he is competing for a TN high school, just the inverse situation.

I am sure TN will happily claim Cooper at events like Southeast Regionals, Cadet / Junior Duals, and Fargo if he does come back to TN in the spring / summer.  I don't think his exclusion from this list has anything to do with not wanting to claim Cooper... he just doesn't fit the parameters they are looking at.  Not to mention, that if we are being realistic, the list is compiled by a national service that is just data mining and wouldn't look into that kind of depth.

Well said