Region 4-4A conversation thread

Region 4-4A will once again be one of the toughest 4A regions top to (almost) bottom in the state. Don't be surprised if the race for the four playoff spots once again goes down to the final Friday night of the regular season, and don't be surprised if 4-4A once again sweeps Region 3-4A in the first round of the playoffs.

In my opinion Maplewood and Nolensville are the teams to beat. The Panthers, behind third-year starting QB Bobo Hodges, have added D1 prospects and may be the fastest team in the region. The Knights have their first senior class and all 22 starters potentially returning, led by QB Brandon Wharton, but they must adjust to a new head coach.

Marshall County features Bryce Wallace at QB and the Tigers certainly know how to win playoff games if they can get to the postseason. Spring Hill is very talented, but they have to learn how to stay focused for a full 10 game schedule under a new head coach.

Tullahoma, the team I have done play-by-play for off and on since 1984, is the wild card in the region. The Wildcats return 16 starters and have better team speed and strength than they have had in the past five or six years. They must replace QB Nic Barstad and RB Amauri Burks, but the Cats should be better defensively. Can they beat one of the four teams above and earn a playoff spot?

Lawrence County is in a downward cycle when it comes to quality athletes, but David Marston always has the Wildcats playing up to their potential.

My dead period prediction is:

1. Maplewood

2. Nolensville

3. Marshall County

4. Tullahoma

5. Spring Hill

6. Lawrence County

Your thoughts?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/4/2018 at 10:10 AM, ScottShasteen said:

Region 4-4A will once again be one of the toughest 4A regions top to (almost) bottom in the state. Don't be surprised if the race for the four playoff spots once again goes down to the final Friday night of the regular season, and don't be surprised if 4-4A once again sweeps Region 3-4A in the first round of the playoffs.

In my opinion Maplewood and Nolensville are the teams to beat. The Panthers, behind third-year starting QB Bobo Hodges, have added D1 prospects and may be the fastest team in the region. The Knights have their first senior class and all 22 starters potentially returning, led by QB Brandon Wharton, but they must adjust to a new head coach.

Marshall County features Bryce Wallace at QB and the Tigers certainly know how to win playoff games if they can get to the postseason. Spring Hill is very talented, but they have to learn how to stay focused for a full 10 game schedule under a new head coach.

Tullahoma, the team I have done play-by-play for off and on since 1984, is the wild card in the region. The Wildcats return 16 starters and have better team speed and strength than they have had in the past five or six years. They must replace QB Nic Barstad and RB Amauri Burks, but the Cats should be better defensively. Can they beat one of the four teams above and earn a playoff spot?

Lawrence County is in a downward cycle when it comes to quality athletes, but David Marston always has the Wildcats playing up to their potential.

My dead period prediction is:

1. Maplewood

2. Nolensville

3. Marshall County

4. Tullahoma

5. Spring Hill

6. Lawrence County

Your thoughts?

I think this region will be the toughest and most competitive in the 4A, much like last year. I can see any one of the top three winning the region. And it will likely come down to the last Friday of the regular season.  Having said that, I am not sold on the order of finishing. While Maplewood has been talented for years, I've never been sold on their head coach. And speaking of head coach, as I recall Nolensville has a new one this season. Last year, before the head coach change I was seeing the Knights as a a favorite for taking the region. I think Marshall County's QB and coaching stability gives them an edge that the other two teams will find hard to overcome. Bottom line, all of the top three teams are good and can go far in the post-season.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tullahoma put the hammer down on Warren County 54-8 in last night's scrimmage at Wilkins Stadium. Briason Corn was unstoppable at running back and Ben Fulton found multiple receivers, including running free in the secondary. Except for a tipped interception attempt that resulted in a Warren County first down near the end zone, the Pioneers would not have scored. Keep your eye on Tullahoma sophomore JaKobe(?) Thomas.

My takeaway is the Wildcats definitely have some playmakers and their linebackers are a real strength. The Pioneers are really bad and will struggle to win a game.

Tullahoma may be on the upswing. But to be fair, Warren County is not the best measuring stick for a team with playoff aspersions. Having said that, I do hope the Wildcats are improving. A region full of competitive teams helps prepare for the post-season. Last season's sweep of Region 3 is a good example of that.

23 hours ago, midtnmale said:

Tullahoma may be on the upswing. But to be fair, Warren County is not the best measuring stick for a team with playoff aspersions. Having said that, I do hope the Wildcats are improving. A region full of competitive teams helps prepare for the post-season. Last season's sweep of Region 3 is a good example of that.

While that is true when a 4A team beats a 6A team 54-8 that is nothing to sneeze at regardless of caliber. It means that at least things are clicking.

On 8/4/2018 at 10:00 AM, ScottShasteen said:

Tullahoma put the hammer down on Warren County 54-8 in last night's scrimmage at Wilkins Stadium. Briason Corn was unstoppable at running back and Ben Fulton found multiple receivers, including running free in the secondary. Except for a tipped interception attempt that resulted in a Warren County first down near the end zone, the Pioneers would not have scored. Keep your eye on Tullahoma sophomore JaKobe(?) Thomas.

My takeaway is the Wildcats definitely have some playmakers and their linebackers are a real strength. The Pioneers are really bad and will struggle to win a game.

Warren County struggles to win games in most seasons.

They have Dekalb (who is also down) and White County the first two games. Even if Warren County is down from last year they still should have a chance to win those games against smaller teams who are struggling themselves.

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 10:00 AM, ScottShasteen said:

Did Tullahoma scrimmage Columbia Tuesday night? If so how did they do? Heard that Columbia is projected to be a contender for a playoff spot in Region 5 5 a.