Austin East TN @ Huber Heights Wayne OH

Brickcity

16 hours ago, osunut2 said:

I'll add my two cents. I would be shocked if AE is classified D2 by OHSAA. With ~300 male students, they are pretty much a lock for D3 status in the OHSAA computer rankings. Also, Knox County isn't officially open zone, although there are rules/stipulations for a student to be able to transfer. Knox County has a number of private schools that can recruit, which is becoming a big challenge for the KCS public schools.

AE looked good against Gibbs this week, but I would be very surprised to see them beat a team like Wayne, even if they are expecting a down year.

By those stipulations I don't know if anywhere in TN would be considered open enrollment?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, WarEagleCartman said:

By those stipulations I don't know if anywhere in TN would be considered open enrollment? 

In my book, open zone/enrollment is pretty simply. For example, you live in a county/system with multiple schools, and there is no geographic zoning; your family is free to enroll their child(ren) in the school of their choosing. Many of the school systems in the Columbus area work like that, particularly when a new school is opened in a district with multiple schools. In a roundabout way, that's how NCLB worked in the early 2000s, if your child attended a failing/at-risk school.

In Knox County, it would be almost impossible for me to send my children to a school other than the one we are zoned for. That's not always been the case, but it's become much tougher than it was 20 years ago. When I was at Powell in the 90s, KCS handed out transfers like candy. That began to change around 2000-ish (with the exception of NCLB). My wife taught for KCS for a decade, and based on what she's told me, today you'd essentially need a hardship waiver related to a student's safety/well-being. Or you need to convince KCS that you have a program/class/special need that your zoned school can't provide.

Edited by osunut2

Not much of a game.

Wayne jumped all over Austin-East putting up 35 points in the first 13 minutes of the game and led 42-0 at the half.  AE had one nice pass play but other than that it was 3 and out.  AE's best offense in the first half was Wayne's defensive penalties.  Wayne scored on every possession in the 1st half. The 2nd half with a running clock Wayne had their JV team in.  It was 56-6 when AE broke off some big plays, one was a 90+ yard run by their QB and another a long pass to make the final 56-20.

Huber Heights Wayne OH 56 Austin-East TN 20

Best of luck to AE on the rest of their season.