Webb versus Ensworth

BreadTruck28

I will try not to be the villain.  I know Webb has a great coach, but sometimes I think old school coaches and whoever else signs off on schedules live in the past a little too much. That's a good question- who approves a football schedule? Coach and/or AD?  What I mean is IMO Webb has no business playing Ensworth and McCallie back to back.  One of those teams? Sure, but I see a 32 man roster for Webb vs 62 for Ensworth and don't know that I believe this on the website, but double that for McCallie.  Toughness, stamina and teamwork are great to build on playing tough, large teams, but injury and downright pessimism can result when you are pummeled repeatedly.  Pull out a gutsy win over Ensworth at the cost of losing a precious lineman or even a TB and was it worth it?  Injuries can happen in any game, but I think they are more prone to happen when the starting tailback is also your starting LB or a receiver is a DB or a lineman simply swaps sides on downs and it's the 4th quarter and the other team platoons in fresh players.  Iron man ball is great if you are playing a team also playing iron man, but against larger, bigger teams, I just don't get the benefit.  One big team on the schedule? Fine. Multiple?Somebody who set the schedule isn't the one or doesn't have a kid suiting up to face the dragon. Please feel free to pound me.

1 hour ago, chainsaw2 said:

I will try not to be the villain.  I know Webb has a great coach, but sometimes I think old school coaches and whoever else signs off on schedules live in the past a little too much. That's a good question- who approves a football schedule? Coach and/or AD?  What I mean is IMO Webb has no business playing Ensworth and McCallie back to back.  One of those teams? Sure, but I see a 32 man roster for Webb vs 62 for Ensworth and don't know that I believe this on the website, but double that for McCallie.  Toughness, stamina and teamwork are great to build on playing tough, large teams, but injury and downright pessimism can result when you are pummeled repeatedly.  Pull out a gutsy win over Ensworth at the cost of losing a precious lineman or even a TB and was it worth it?  Injuries can happen in any game, but I think they are more prone to happen when the starting tailback is also your starting LB or a receiver is a DB or a lineman simply swaps sides on downs and it's the 4th quarter and the other team platoons in fresh players.  Iron man ball is great if you are playing a team also playing iron man, but against larger, bigger teams, I just don't get the benefit.  One big team on the schedule? Fine. Multiple?Somebody who set the schedule isn't the one or doesn't have a kid suiting up to face the dragon. Please feel free to pound me.

Webb’s numbers use to be way higher and this wasn’t such a tall task but now....I agree. But no public’s in Knoxville will play so that’s what’s left. The big privates. 

2 hours ago, chainsaw2 said:

Even though you're rooting for Boyd bigtime this Friday, truth is truth....you are spot on! Webb will be battle tested, but will they be beaten up, physically? They're a proud program with great players and great coaches. They for sure won't be beaten up mentally. It has to be toughest on the linemen that might be going both ways. 

1 hour ago, IrishBBall said:

I understand they are struggling upfront. Hearing that they may hold out some of their RBs these next two games to have them healthy when they play schools their size.

Surely that’s not true. I cannot imagine a good football coach suggesting such, good football players agreeing, and parents supporting such.  Live and die as a team...

On 8/28/2018 at 12:14 PM, Spartan4Life said:

Webb’s numbers use to be way higher and this wasn’t such a tall task but now....I agree. But no public’s in Knoxville will play so that’s what’s left. The big privates. 

......havin programs like Ausitn East, Knox West, Fulton and Oak Ridge candyin out against Haslams Petro School Spartans is one thing....but when you got Rankin and his tinheads  tails tucked between their legs and runiin for the door Sparty...

...makes Booger feel proud to have Webb on the Irish schedule

Booger just sayin :shock:

Edited by Booger

48 minutes ago, IrishBBall said:

Heard those exact words come out of the mouth of someone that would know last night Sparty…..

...at least they get to spend two weeks after playin Ensworth, McCallie and GCA in the ice baths healin up those chasis before they travel down to Vermont Ave....those Karns snake handlers ant gonna bruise them up to bad, but they will run them rapid......

....them Spartans may even get sum time on that off week to frolik around in that endzone pool Haslam built for all them mamas to hang out around tannin while their boys practice football

Booger just sayin summer_52.gif~c200

13 hours ago, Booger said:

...at least they get to spend two weeks after playin Ensworth, McCallie and GCA in the ice baths healin up those chasis before they travel down to Vermont Ave....those Karns snake handlers ant gonna bruise them up to bad, but they will run them rapid......

....them Spartans may even get sum time on that off week to frolik around in that endzone pool Haslam built for all them mamas to hang out around tannin while their boys practice football

Booger just sayin summer_52.gif~c200

LOL! NOW.....it's football season. We've got the Webb booster sale on suntan lotion going full blast! They might want to buy one of those big ice machines for the pool after the next two games......or, does Haslam school already have those fancy cryogenic machines or hydro-therapy tubs? Wouldn't surprise me......

Sparty and I are on the same page.....no disrespect to a knowledgeable Irish fan intended. There's no way Webb doesn't let those studs play against top competition. That's why those boys want to play for a top program....to play the best. And, they're for sure not worried about saving those rabbits for the likes of lil ole GCA. If they do, they should be ashamed of themselves. Those boys are as good as any in the state, and they deserve an opportunity to prove it. What type message does that send to the players AND the folks paying the big bucks for those kids to play? I'll guarantee you this.....if our coaches had held out my son v Alcoa, he would've been HOT........almost as hot as his dad.

• Like 1

I understand the Irish poster has some info from someone he deems a reliable inside source. I'm not debating that. My question is, if the coaches actually do want to sit a few starters for risk of being injured, what does that say to the backup who they throw out there? I know they're not the starter for a reason, but you're basically telling them that you're not important to the team and your body is dispensable. It's just messed up all the way around if that's what Meske and staff are thinking. Why schedule those teams in the first place? And don't give me the line about nobody wants to play you. There's plenty of teams in our area that have a tough time filling a schedule. My point is, if you're going to schedule them then tuck your tail and cry in the corner, don't schedule them. These schedules were set in November '16 - February '17, so Webb knew exactly what type of team they would have for these home / home series.