Fulton @ OR

SweetScience

8 hours ago, froshpop said:

Rather than being so negative about our team, why not be positive about the fact that we didn’t play well and still had a chance to tie the game against the #1 team in the state in the last minute. And don’t forget all the great things Booker has done at QB before just giving up on him. 

I love Herbert and think he was best Ath on the field in Fulton game.But Booker has trouble in the passing game.Doing good vs sub par teams is good but we gotta see the bigger pic and do whats best for team.I said it weeks ago that Oak Ridge has to be able to pass to beat a good team.We don't have a good enuff Oline to run the ball 85% of the time.Teams are loading box and bringing the house almost every play.If they stick with Booker I will back him100%.He would be a better RB/WR but he plays where the coaches tell him.

2 hours ago, STILLNUM1 said:

I love Herbert and think he was best Ath on the field in Fulton game.But Booker has trouble in the passing game.Doing good vs sub par teams is good but we gotta see the bigger pic and do whats best for team.I said it weeks ago that Oak Ridge has to be able to pass to beat a good team.We don't have a good enuff Oline to run the ball 85% of the time.Teams are loading box and bringing the house almost every play.If they stick with Booker I will back him100%.He would be a better RB/WR but he plays where the coaches tell him.

I love the way Booker plays. He's a great football player.

Edited by catswild
  • Like 1

On 10/27/2018 at 8:35 AM, froshpop said:

Rather than being so negative about our team, why not be positive about the fact that we didn’t play well and still had a chance to tie the game against the #1 team in the state in the last minute. And don’t forget all the great things Booker has done at QB before just giving up on him. 

I don’t think anyone is giving up on him. The issue isn’t Booker. It’s his role on offense. It’s no mystery he can handle himself against ‘ok’ teams. In big games it’s also no mystery he makes bad decisions. Again, not on him. It’s the Offensive play calling. It’s also no mystery that after every game HC calls out the offense. 

Only thing that’ll get these guys ready is by utilizing the best guy for the best role. That sophomore QB clearly has the talent and has a rocket arm. Why not go with him with Booker lined up at WR with some direct snap wildcat stuff? 

IMO, this OC is a solid position coach but nothing more. Let’s not forget he was loaded with talent a few years back with Higgins and several college prospects yet he couldn’t manage to get past the first round? 

IMO, until they make a change at the play calling, OR will continue to have big time issues in games that could’ve been won. These guys should be undefeated. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ORDT said:

I don’t think anyone is giving up on him. The issue isn’t Booker. It’s his role on offense. It’s no mystery he can handle himself against ‘ok’ teams. In big games it’s also no mystery he makes bad decisions. Again, not on him. It’s the Offensive play calling. It’s also no mystery that after every game HC calls out the offense. 

Only thing that’ll get these guys ready is by utilizing the best guy for the best role. That sophomore QB clearly has the talent and has a rocket arm. Why not go with him with Booker lined up at WR with some direct snap wildcat stuff? 

IMO, this OC is a solid position coach but nothing more. Let’s not forget he was loaded with talent a few years back with Higgins and several college prospects yet he couldn’t manage to get past the first round? 

IMO, until they make a change at the play calling, OR will continue to have big time issues in games that could’ve been won. These guys should be undefeated. 

I think a wholesale change at this time would signal "panic" to the team. Let me pick apart your post. You say in "big games" Booker makes bad decisions. Was Farragut a "big game? I say yes it was. Was it Booker's fault that he threw not one but TWO perfect passes to wide open receivers that were dropped? I would have a hard time blaming Booker for that and I would have a hard time saying he made bad decisions in that game. What beat OR versus Fulton, IMO, was some penalties that came at terrible times (not blaming the referees), the fact that our defense put NO pressure on Malone, and the fact that our offensive line didn't pick up the pressure from Fulton. Plus the fact that our so-called great secondary isn't so good after all. I don't think Booker was the problem other than he missed a couple of open receivers. The OC may be a liability but it's up to Gaddis to correct that, or take it over himself.

40 minutes ago, bonkers said:

I think a wholesale change at this time would signal "panic" to the team. Let me pick apart your post. You say in "big games" Booker makes bad decisions. Was Farragut a "big game? I say yes it was. Was it Booker's fault that he threw not one but TWO perfect passes to wide open receivers that were dropped? I would have a hard time blaming Booker for that and I would have a hard time saying he made bad decisions in that game. What beat OR versus Fulton, IMO, was some penalties that came at terrible times (not blaming the referees), the fact that our defense put NO pressure on Malone, and the fact that our offensive line didn't pick up the pressure from Fulton. Plus the fact that our so-called great secondary isn't so good after all. I don't think Booker was the problem other than he missed a couple of open receivers. The OC may be a liability but it's up to Gaddis to correct that, or take it over himself.

Booker made bad decisions in the Powell game (awful pitches when he should've eaten it). His biggest problem is his inconsistency passing the football...but I love it when the ball is in his hands!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bonkers said:

I don't think our secondary is as bad as you guys are letting on. Yeah, they didn't have the best game, but it all goes back to getting no pressure on Malone. He's a really good QB, and he has very good (athletic) WR's. I mean, you can only guard really athletic guys like that so long before they eventually get open, you know? I think our lack of getting any pressure on Malone only  made our secondary look worse than it really is. That's a good group back there. Maybe not great, but they aren't nearly as bad as some people on this thread are making them out to be. Any good QB is gonna pick apart a good secondary if he has enough time to and has quality WR's like Fulton has. Just my 2 cents. Getting pressure= A better chance of our secondary succeeding.

Edited by SweetScience

5 hours ago, bonkers said:

If a wholesale change means starting the best player at the best position then so be it. 

18 hours ago, catswild said:

Booker made bad decisions in the Powell game (awful pitches when he should've eaten it). His biggest problem is his inconsistency passing the football...but I love it when the ball is in his hands!

100% agree. Kid can do some tremendous things with his legs, but he'll also make his share of head-scratchers. I think OR will be fine. I just think you guys are who you are at this point.

The last thing I would do is start your backup, unless you absolutely have no choice (i.e., Booker is injured). Your entire offense would have to change with him under center because he's not going to be running the football. If he takes one good shot to the torso, he's not getting up.

1 hour ago, osunut2 said:

100% agree. Kid can do some tremendous things with his legs, but he'll also make his share of head-scratchers. I think OR will be fine. I just think you guys are who you are at this point.

The last thing I would do is start your backup, unless you absolutely have no choice (i.e., Booker is injured). Your entire offense would have to change with him under center because he's not going to be running the football. If he takes one good shot to the torso, he's not getting up.

I go back and forth on this issue. I don't think it's important who starts but if the passing game is important to the game plan, then the sophomore has to play. Depending on how bad Booker is hurt, this may be a moot point.

3 hours ago, osunut2 said:

He's not that fragile. I watched him all year as a freshman and he ran it all year long and took some pretty hard hits. Running it may not be his 1st option, but he's very adept at running the ball. He's a tough kid. He isn't anymore smaller than Stanton Martin from AC was at that age, maybe a tad bit.

Edited by SweetScience

30 minutes ago, SweetScience said:

He's not that fragile. I watched him all year as a freshman and he ran it all year long and took some pretty hard hits. Running it may not be his 1st option, but he's very adept at running the ball. He's a tough kid. He isn't anymore smaller than Stanton Martin from AC was at that age, maybe a tad bit.

Tough kid or not, I'm just saying that I wouldn't want a 140-pound kid running that option offense week after week. Big difference when a 180-pound kid is taking those hits versus one who is only 140.