Whitehaven at Houston - Round 2

reddyrebel6

The Commercial Appeal wrote an article about this Houston team in today's print. I've cut and paste it for you to read. 

Houston football turnaround led by Navy commitment who credits hockey for his success

Khari Thompson, Memphis Commercial AppealPublished 12:28 p.m. CT Nov. 8, 2018 | Updated 2:16 p.m. CT Nov. 8, 2018

Houston Offensive Lineman Kip Frankland Kip

(Photo: Brad Vest/The Commercial Appeal)

Three years ago, the Houston High football team finished 1-10. Coach James Thomas was an assistant back then, and the only Mustang victory was a 38-6 win over Bartlett.

This year, Houston (10-1), is hosting its second-round Class 6A playoff matchup with Whitehaven. A win would put the Mustangs in the quarterfinals against the winner of Central at Germantown and extend their winning streak to 10 games.

Perhaps the most dramatic difference between now and then is the Mustang offense. In 2015, Houston's best offensive performance was in that lone win. This year, the Mustangs are averaging a region-best 38.5 points. Running back Lincoln Pare deservedly gets a lot of the credit for the turnaround, but Thomas says the heart and soul of the offense is senior lineman Kip Frankland. 

"Every game comes down to the battle in the trenches. We're a power-spread offense and we'll throw it around a little bit but we want to run the ball," said Thomas. "When it boils down to it, Kip is our bell-cow. As he goes, we go."

The Lineman Who Scored

Frankland has been a starter since his freshman year. He plays offense and defense, but will likely play offensive guard in college. He is committed to Navy, picking the Midshipmen over Air Force, Virginia and Middle Tennessee State. 

Two weeks ago against St. George's, Frankland scored his first high school touchdown when Spencer Smith failed to protect the ball on a quarterback sneak.

Frankland, a senior lineman, recently scored his first career touchdown Khari Thompson, The Commercial Appeal

"Our nose guard kind of plugs it up, and our linebackers fill, and the quarterback is sitting with the ball on his back hip," said Frankland. 

Frankland ripped the ball away, bobbled it a bit, and wrestled off a running back who tried to tackle him. Then, the 6-2, 280-pound senior dashed 40 yards into the end zone. 

Embedded video

Scored my first TD last night

"It was awesome, you know, you always see Lincoln kind of stealing the spotlight. We finally got some recognition for the linemen. It felt great. I think the whole line was pretty excited for it." said Frankland. 

Why more linemen should play hockey

Before he developed into a standout lineman, Frankland grew up playing hockey. His father played defenseman for Michigan State and started Frankland and his younger brother RH early on the skates.

"My dad grew up in Michigan, so he brought hockey down to the South. (It was) real special growing up, it was kind of our love before football in the family," said Frankland. "We'd have to drive 30 minutes down to Southaven every weekend and almost every weeknight to go practice, but it was awesome. It really brought me and my brother closer together." 

Frankland stopped playing hockey in eighth grade to focus on football. He said his hockey background helped him become a better football player. Like football, hockey is a physical sport so he was able to get used to hitting early. But unlike football, hockey is a continuous sport — there aren't many breaks in between plays, which can help with conditioning. Frankland said the most helpful skill that hockey gave him was improved balance and command of his feet, both of which are important for linemen. 

Anchors Aweigh

Frankland said he became a fan of Navy's triple-option offense during his freshman year, watching Keenan Reynolds star at quarterback. 

November 08 2018 - Houston offensive lineman Kip Frankland during practice on Wednesday.

November 08 2018 - Houston offensive lineman Kip Frankland during practice on Wednesday. (Photo: Brad Vest/The Commercial Appeal)

"That offense is perfect for him. He's going to be cut-blocking a little bit, but a lot of straightforward just smashmouth football and he's going to be awesome," said Thomas. 

His first offer came his junior year from Murray State, and the attention from college coaches began to grow. He took official visits to Navy and Air Force. 

"Serving in the military is obviously an honor. I can't even really explain it, it's just such an honor and I'd love to be a part of it," said Frankland. 

Edited by kwc

3 hours ago, dannyq said:

Whitehaven (8-3) at Houston (10-1)
The last time these two teams met in the playoffs was all the way back in 2000 as the Tigers won 29-0. They have played in the regular season in 2015 & 2016 and both of those were won by Whitehaven. You take a look at Whitehaven's record and think that it was a down year by their standards. However, when you dig a little closer, you will see that the combined record of the three teams that Whitehaven lost to (Lausanne, North Little Rock, Germantown) is 31-0. 11 of the 12 teams they have played this year have/are still playing in the playoffs.

RB Cameron Sneed had 3 TD in the opening round victory over Collierville and has over 1,000 yds rushing and 12 TD on the year. QB Vincent Guy, a UT Martin commit, has over 1400 yds passing with 25 TD and only 3 interceptions. South Carolina commit WR Keveon Mullins, has 32 catches for 656 yds (20.5/catch) with 10 TD while Vandy commit Devin Boddie averages almost 15 yds a catch with 6 TD. The Tigers have always been outstanding on defense and last week vs Collierville, they had 4 interceptions including a 100 yd pick 6 for Ariyon Paige. Whitehaven allowed 187 yds on 74 plays (2.5 yds per play). I think Coach Saulsberry would be happy with that again this week.

Houston's only loss on the year came to Germantown back in week 2 and the Mustangs have been rolling ever since. Standout RB Lincoln Pare led the way in their playoff win over White Station with 191 yds rushing and 4 TD. Pare has 1870 yds rushing on the year (8.2/carry) & 25 TD.  QB Ethan Burns has had a good year throwing for over 1500 yds & 18 TD. WR Grayson Hitt has 9 of those TD & is averaging over 20 yds/catch. Nick Anewalt has been solid in all phases of the kicking game for the Mustangs. Houston is 5th in the Shelby Metro area at 376 yds/gm on offense.

Where did you find this article dannyq?

Let's talk about the comeback later... Houston's PA team was as bushleague and classless as they come as they were playing a SUPER LOUD FANFARE OVER THEIR PA SYSTEM ALL WHILE WE HAD THE BALL! We would NEVER DO THAT ! They had a band, we had a band, let the gat dang bands play!!! They were wrong as 2 left shoes and I went over to their side to call them out and I Janked they arses!