PORTLAND AT FORREST

GeneralForrest

I’ve decided I am going to go with Portland Friday. For a few reasons.

1.       This is not the 2015/2016 Forrest team, and I am not going to pretend they are, until they show me. These boys have just as much physical talent, but mentally they haven’t proven that they are on the level of the 2015 and 2016 Region 4 champs.  

2.       Portland may or may not be a great 4A team, but they have played some top 4A competition, and I think that is a big advantage. Forrest has played some great teams the last two years, but hasn’t beaten any of them. BGA, Watertown, Waverly, Forrest is 0-6 against those 3 teams. They are also 0-2 each against Eagleville, Lewis Co., and Columbia Academy. I’m not drinking the KoolAid off a beatdown of a, ER team that had one great player.

3.       The penalties by Forrest, 25 or so in the first game, are a huge problem. This team still has discipline lapses that boggle the mind.

4.       Caleb Mandrell, Portland's QB. On film he reminds me of a Heath Price type. HP dominated Forrest on both sides of the ball from start to finish last year.

5.       Portland OL and DL. This ain’t East Robertson. Forrest’s line played a fine game Friday, but this is a different animal, and I expect Forrest to struggle up front on both sides.

Final Score:

Portland:             28          

Forrest:                20

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I expect a tough game much like our Macon County scrimmage a few weeks ago. We should have a team speed advantage. They will have the size and depth advantage. 

Last thing we need before region play is to get banged up by a big, physical 4A team that may be the most meaningless game on our schedule. I would rather the JV play 75% of the game and lose 49-7 than the starters win a close 21-20 war and have some injuries. Same scenario as Page and Lauderdale Co. Alabama 5-6 years ago- when you try to win a battle against a big school it sometimes costs you your region war. We can run the table on the rest of the schedule if healthy.