West at Farragut

FHS_Admiral

Would somebody be kind enough to give the lowdown on West?   I see that they won a close one against Bearden.   What's expected of West this year?   What are their strengths and weaknesses?    What kind of athletes do they have?  Are they better on offense or defense?

I know Farragut struggled some with the athleticism, elusiveness and speed of Bradley's QB and backs, but Bradley is supposed to be really good this year on offense.   Should Farragut expect the same from West?  

Let's get some talk going West fans!

1 hour ago, FHS_Admiral said:

Would somebody be kind enough to give the lowdown on West?   I see that they won a close one against Bearden.   What's expected of West this year?   What are their strengths and weaknesses?    What kind of athletes do they have?  Are they better on offense or defense?

I know Farragut struggled some with the athleticism, elusiveness and speed of Bradley's QB and backs, but Bradley is supposed to be really good this year on offense.   Should Farragut expect the same from West?  

Let's get some talk going West fans!

Farragut should be fine. West is strong defensively as always have been. Smaller team and don’t trust offense to score enough to last with Farragut. I have Farragut winning by 10+

I never count West out because I think they always have enough talent and athleticism to give just about anyone a run for their money. I saw them play Bearden and was impressed with their defense. I think Farragut’s conditioning and discipline give the ads an advantage in this one. I think (hope?) Farragut wears them down and gets the win. I think Farragut also has a really good defense. If our offense comes to play, I think we should win. But like I said, West is never easy and I’d never discount them or count them out of anything. I have a lot of respect for their athleticism.  They’ve definitely got playmakers. 

1 hour ago, Bluegreymom said:

I never count West out because I think they always have enough talent and athleticism to give just about anyone a run for their money. I saw them play Bearden and was impressed with their defense. I think Farragut’s conditioning and discipline give the ads an advantage in this one. I think (hope?) Farragut wears them down and gets the win. I think Farragut also has a really good defense. If our offense comes to play, I think we should win. But like I said, West is never easy and I’d never discount them or count them out of anything. I have a lot of respect for their athleticism.  They’ve definitely got playmakers. 

Well, Farragut's defense didn't look all that great to me against Bradley.   They looked slow, and missed a lot of tackles.   The offense however, looked pretty good to me against Bradley, outside of the turnovers that is.   Playing West is always a little scary because they usually have really good athletes and good team speed that gives Farragut trouble.   Maybe it's just me but Farragut looks slower overall as a team this year then they have in the last several years.   I mean Farragut is never a blazing speed team, but they just look kinda slower than usual to me.   I hope this doesn't bite them in a few games this year, but I fear it might.

25 minutes ago, FHS_Admiral said:

Well, Farragut's defense didn't look all that great to me against Bradley.   They looked slow, and missed a lot of tackles.   The offense however, looked pretty good to me against Bradley, outside of the turnovers that is.   Playing West is always a little scary because they usually have really good athletes and good team speed that gives Farragut trouble.   Maybe it's just me but Farragut looks slower overall as a team this year then they have in the last several years.   I mean Farragut is never a blazing speed team, but they just look kinda slower than usual to me.   I hope this doesn't bite them in a few games this year, but I fear it might.

Yeah I agree. Based on practices, scrimmages and such, defense looks to be our relative strength. #20 might help out with that on the offense tho. And yes, in my own opinion, I don’t think our team is quite as fast, strong, experienced, ready as the teams we have fielded in the last few years and I share your concern that this may give us some trouble this year. I think we are well coached and well conditioned and I hope that bridges some of the gap.

i wasn’t super impressed with either offense or defense for three out of four quarters at the BC game. I agree our defense missed a lot of tackles and we struggled with the speed and elusiveness of Bradley’s guys. The fortunate part is I don’t think we will see too many teams with that type of speed. I also felt #11 was uncharacteristically off for a lot of the game and running backs didn’t always run where they should have. 

It was week one tho and I’m hoping that we have a good practice week and iron out some of the problems. We have a great QB and some really great athletes of our own. I think West will be a tough team no doubt, but I think we can do it. 

16 minutes ago, BCsportsfan said:

This will be a great game. Alcoa scrimmaged West and Bradley back to back before the season opener. West is a better team, Especially on defense. West and Bradley where close offensively, West ran the ball a little better.

I'll still take Farragut by 7 points. 

I feel like after watching west/Bearden on Saturday, I’d rather face West than Bradley any day. Don’t misunderstand me, I have huge respect for West and they usually do give Farragut trouble and are very very capable of beating most everyone they play including Farragut. But dang, I hope we don’t have to come up against Bradley in the post season! That speed!  Their ability to make huge plays in a matter of a few seconds is scary for all of their opponents! I’m so proud of our team for getting the win on Friday but I’m very aware that one break out run on Bradley’s part could have easily resulted in a different outcome. 

As for West, I feel like they are limited mostly by themselves. It seems like they often under achieve relative to the talent they have.

Edited by Bluegreymom

29 minutes ago, Bluegreymom said:

I feel like after watching west/Bearden on Saturday, I’d rather face West than Bradley any day. Don’t misunderstand me, I have huge respect for West and they usually do give Farragut trouble and are very very capable of beating most everyone they play including Farragut. But dang, I hope we don’t have to come up against Bradley in the post season! That speed!  Their ability to make huge plays in a matter of a few seconds is scary for all of their opponents! I’m so proud of our team for getting the win on Friday but I’m very aware that one break out run on Bradley’s part could have easily resulted in a different outcome. 

As for West, I feel like they are limited mostly by themselves. It seems like they often under achieve relative to the talent they have.

Thank you for all the compliments for Bradley! Only thing stopping us from being a lot better than West is our defense. Which everyone was told that our defense will slow this Bradley team down big time. We're very young on defense and outsized by most likely every team minus walker valley that we will play this year. Outside of that, not many teams has the offense that Bradley has. Speed and talent wise. Maryville should be the only team that slows us down on offense from here on out. Still may lose games, but offense will put up points and look great.  No teams during scrimmages including Alcoa stopped us on offense. Just choked in the redzone. Good luck the rest of the way. That first time RB is the real deal also you all have. Y'all should be fine against West.

Edited by DaBears1976

4 hours ago, FHS_Admiral said:

As Farragut fans, I think we have to credit Bradley Central for making the Admirals look slow at times throughout the game – coupled with perhaps one of the more inexperienced teams Farragut has fielded in several years, i.e., occasional missed run fits, bad angles, over-pursuit, etc. Inexperience notwithstanding, Bradley Central has several special athletes and special athletes are going to make plays – that is a dangerous football team. Overall, based on what I have observed thus far, I think the defense has a chance to be pretty solid – they just need reps. I thought they really flew around, played hard and produced takeaways in the second half.

I was actually pleasantly surprised at Farragut's overall speed on defense. I thought the secondary (aside from maybe needing to do a little bit better job getting off blocks) did an outstanding job for the most part, particularly in coverage. Having seen him play last year, I knew White had wheels, but Foody is FAST! He broke up a couple of big deep balls in coverage.In addition, on one of the Bradley Central breakaways, Foody gave chase from the other side of the field and he was closing the entire way – I can see where he might be a deep threat on the other side of the ball as well.

Farragut has struggled to run the football against West for the last several years. As well as the Farragut offensive line played on Friday night, the West defensive front will be a monumental challenge. At the same time, I believe Farragut must stay committed to the run or Wilkinson will be the one running (for his life) when it comes time to throw the football.

I do agree with you... West is scary. 

Edited by Former44

I went to the west game last year and if my memory is correct they weren't a very disciplined team. They argued with the coaches a lot and it seemed like on one series they had so many penalties they ended up in a 4th and 60 plus yards situation. I watched the Bradley Central game yesterday on my laptop at the airport. Defense flew to the ball well but didn't finish once they got to the ball carrier. Defense really struggles open field tackling. #1 needs to be on the field more. Luckily the BC QB was not a very accurate passer. If he plays on Saturday it will be something other than QB. It seemed like it really took Farragut a while to get in sync on offense. Farragut seems to have found a RB but they are going to have to get on sync in the passing game. The QB didn't look like he has in the past but he also isn't surrounded by the big playmakers he's had the past couple of years. He did come out in the 2nd half and make some impressive throws so hopefully they are hitting on all cylinders to start the west game. Farragut has been spoiled the past few years by never having to worry about covering kickoffs. With the kicker transfer, the days of kicking into the end zone appear to be over. Coaches need to revisit the kick off coverage team and not use it as a chance to let kids get playing time.