Loretto at Forrest

GeneralForrest

That's the reason I've never been a big fan of players going both ways. I understand you want your best players on the field, I get it, and it's okay they play the most minutes, but the risk of injury certainly goes up. Sometimes they only miss a game or two like you said, or it's season ending which can really put a team at a disadvantage. How good is that starting player standing on the sidelines? I'd be totally fine with a rule that limits how many minutes a player can play both ways. Not sure how you'd police that other than a hard and fast rule of maybe 2nd string has to play at a given point in a game for x amount of minutes. Maybe 2nd string is for 2nd quarter, then play whoever whenever the 1st, 3rd, and 4th quarter. Gives your starters a break, and gives your backups some reps.  

49 minutes ago, EHSEagles said:

That's the reason I've never been a big fan of players going both ways. I understand you want your best players on the field, I get it, and it's okay they play the most minutes, but the risk of injury certainly goes up. Sometimes they only miss a game or two like you said, or it's season ending which can really put a team at a disadvantage. How good is that starting player standing on the sidelines? I'd be totally fine with a rule that limits how many minutes a player can play both ways. Not sure how you'd police that other than a hard and fast rule of maybe 2nd string has to play at a given point in a game for x amount of minutes. Maybe 2nd string is for 2nd quarter, then play whoever whenever the 1st, 3rd, and 4th quarter. Gives your starters a break, and gives your backups some reps.  

No way to mandate or monitor that in a competitive league. Playing both ways does seem to affect the linemen more than the skill positions. They get contact every play. We don't have a choice. Either play a senior 90% of the snaps or put a 9th or 10th grader out there who isn't ready. 

1 hour ago, Salem said:

No way to mandate or monitor that in a competitive league. Playing both ways does seem to affect the linemen more than the skill positions. They get contact every play. We don't have a choice. Either play a senior 90% of the snaps or put a 9th or 10th grader out there who isn't ready. 

Oh yeah, it definately effects linemen more than any other position. 

29 minutes ago, GeneralAmerigha said:

McClendon 368 all purpose yards including 318 rushing. Terrifying!

I am starting to think either Eli was on Thorazine last year or NM was hurt.  

Lots of frustration last season with one of the state's best players only touching the ball 9 times a game. Only one game with 15 or more touches in 2018 in 11 contests.

Problem appears to be corrected now. Already he has 18 plus carries in 3 out of 4 game for 2019. Averaging almost 11 yards a touch. A terror on defense as well.

22 minutes ago, Salem said:

Lots of frustration last season with one of the state's best players only touching the ball 9 times a game. Only one game with 15 or more touches in 2018 in 11 contests.

Problem appears to be corrected now. Already he has 18 plus carries in 3 out of 4 game for 2019. Averaging almost 11 yards a touch. A terror on defense as well.

18 carries in three games? I think they said Swafford for Meigs had 32 carries in the game against Greenback. I was the the game and he carried it a ton.