D2-3A which is stronger...East/Middle or Wsest?

PurplePanther

I've only seen East teams so far this year, but the top 4 teams in the West seem very close to each other - and all very good.  I don't know what to think of the East division - McCallie sits on top, but it seems the next 4 teams all could beat each other on any given night.  A really good team will not make the playoffs.  We'll know a little more about the relative strength of the divisions after Friday, when BA goes to MBA.  MBA already beat Ensworth and looks like they're playing very solid ball.

I'm looking forward to some really good games in the playoffs!

For what it's worth, it's just West and East now. No middle designation, which I welcomed as it often made for unwieldy explanations (East/Middle vs. West) during broadcasts.

I think it may be closer than some think between the two regions. MBA looked off-kilter with their early losses, but those happened against 6-1 Brentwood High (in OT), 7-0 Pearl Cohn, and 7-0 Briarcrest. MBA beating Ensworth and BA was impressive, and MBA's defense is perhaps a bit underrated.

McCallie has looked dominant and has already clinched a playoff berth, and I'll see them in person this upcoming Friday night 10/18. I've called a couple of games that featured DeAngelo Hardy and BJ Harris at McCallie, so I already know how talented they are; Harris was a breakout star as a freshman in 2017.

Baylor is also very strong with that great line, and their game in two weeks against MBA should be quite interesting. Can the aforementioned stout Big Red defense stop Baylor RB Elijah Howard?

Of course, the game itself means nothing for region ranking aside from overall win tiebreaker considerations. But MBA is in a unique spot to provide comparisons, with three II-AAA East Region teams on its schedule to go with the entire West Region.

With the smaller number of region games (at least for former E/M schools) and the higher stakes with only eight playoff spots, the tiebreakers could get very interesting. There is now a strong incentive for teams to book as easy of a non-region schedule as possible. Increased odds now of a three-way tie with each school 1-1 against the other two.

There are massive playoff implications for BA vs. Ensworth on 10/25. Both teams have a bye upcoming, which means extra time to prepare for the game. BA QB Wade Williams returned from injury last night in the Eagles' loss to MBA, and it's perfect timing with the bye to get Williams and WR Preston Sagan (also back from injury) and the rest on the same page ahead of the Ensworth game.

If BA loses to Ensworth, the four-time defending state champs will be in serious danger of outright missing the playoffs. And this is an Eagles team that only lost to McCallie by five.

Keshawn Lawrence of Ensworth had two punt returns for a touchdown in the game I called last Friday. As great as he is at safety, Lawrence is a special player when he has the ball in his hands.

And then there is Knoxville Catholic, with a huge game at Baylor this upcoming Friday. Have to think KC has momentum after the win over BA on national TV, but the Red Raiders are the real deal so it won't be easy. If Catholic can beat Baylor on the road, I will be VERY impressed.

Briarcrest is going to be a tough out in the West with that really strong run defense. Remember that the Saints had a 17-point fourth quarter lead on MBA. But CBHS, to their credit, played Briarcrest close and they have a great RB in Al Wooten.

MUS is lurking there at 6-1 overall, with only a three-point loss to MBA working against them. I'm not sure how MUS' rushing game would fare vs. Briarcrest. But the Owls have to be careful not to overlook JP2, as the Knights could end up at 2-3 with a head-to-head tiebreaker against MUS.

In short: if MUS wins out, they could get the West #1 seed. But if they lose to JP2 and Briarcrest, they risk possibly not even making the playoffs.

If nothing else, this configuration change for 2019 has added a level of drama to the end of the regular season that has been lacking in recent years.

II-AAA East
McCallie 3-0 (7-0) remaining: FRHS, Ensworth
Baylor 2-1 (6-1) remaining: KC, BA
Ensworth 2-1 (6-2) remaining: BA, McCallie
Knox Catholic 1-2 (5-2) remaining: Baylor, FRHS
Brentwood Acad. 1-2 (5-3) remaining: Ensworth, Baylor
FRHS 0-3 (1-6) remaining: McCallie, KC

II-AAA West
Briarcrest 4-0 (7-0) remaining: MUS
MBA 3-1 (5-3) remaining: CBHS
MUS 2-1 (6-1) remaining: JP2, Briarcrest
CBHS 1-2 (4-3) remaining: St.B, MBA
JP2 0-3 (4-3) remaining: MUS, St.B
St.B 0-3 (2-5) remaining: CBHS, JP2

• Like 1

3 hours ago, eers said:

If JP2 ever wants to make the playoffs, they better petition to let all 12 teams in, to play down to II-AA, or maybe to play in KY with Christian County. 

At least JP2 will have a division win when they play St. B.  FR has McCallie and KC let in the division.  Heck, they might loose to Libscomb Academy!

4 hours ago, PurplePanther said:

At least JP2 will have a division win when they play St. B.  FR has McCallie and KC let in the division.  Heck, they might loose to Libscomb Academy!

I see what you’re saying, but JP2 has one playoff win in the history of the school. 

Really not sure why anyone would choose to go there to play football?  Kinda silly actually. 

8 hours ago, eers said:

If JP2 ever wants to make the playoffs, they better petition to let all 12 teams in, to play down to II-AA, or maybe to play in KY with Christian County. 

they better b for kickin out bout 30 bodys outta them hallways if u want to get some of that d2-AA

Booger just sayin :mrgreen:

On 10/17/2019 at 6:21 AM, PurplePanther said:

JP2 into OT w/MUS. JP2 is playing without Roberts who had surgery on his hand last week.

Edited by JRB

2 hours ago, JRB said:

Seemed to work out ok for Golden Tate.

A talent like that gets recognized ANYWHERE (and certainly at the 5A/6A schools around them in Sumner County). I promise Golden Tate’s career had nothing to do with being at JP2.  That’s not a very good example.

Personally I would prefer to be somewhere you can win... but I guess some kids and parents like to think they’re special because they were “recruited”.