D2-3A which is stronger...East/Middle or Wsest?

PurplePanther

7 hours ago, eers said:

A talent like that gets recognized ANYWHERE (and certainly at the 5A/6A schools around them in Sumner County). I promise Golden Tate’s career had nothing to do with being at JP2.  That’s not a very good example.

Personally I would prefer to be somewhere you can win... but I guess some kids and parents like to think they’re special because they were “recruited”. 

It is actually a very good example that you are helping me make.  Nobody claims that JP2 "made" Golden.  Agreed he was a special talent and would have made it regardless of where he attended high school.  His mom valued a Catholic education.  Golden and Wesley both attended St Joseph's middle school so I don't believe their decision to attend JP2 had anything to do with being recruited or the need to feel special or to play football.

JP2 won even less in those days and played in the smaller division. In the end if you are good enough you are good enough.

Just my $0.02

Edited by JRB

4 hours ago, JRB said:

It is actually a very good example that you are helping me make.  Nobody claims that JP2 "made" Golden.  Agreed he was a special talent and would have made it regardless of where he attended high school.  His mom valued a Catholic education.  Golden and Wesley both attended St Joseph's middle school so I don't believe their decision to attend JP2 had anything to do with being recruited or the need to feel special or to play football.

JP2 won even less in those days and played in the smaller division. In the end if you are good enough you are good enough.

Just my $0.02

Not sure what your point is then. There a difference if you are catholic and you want to go to a catholic school. I’m speaking more directly about the kids in Sumner County that are being recruited by the coaching staff. You can say they’re not, but we all know they are. I have personally witnessed it. It makes ZERO sense for a kid to leave Beech, Gallatin or Hendersonville to go to JP2 for athletic purposes.  The most wins JP2 has ever had in a season is 7.  Just think about that for a minute.  

Edited by eers

6 minutes ago, Booger said:

Friday will give a good temperature ratin as to the strongest side.....the west 3rd place team MBA travels to the Suk Creek Campus to take on what sum r thinkin is a crossville bound Baylor team

Booger just sayin :mrgreen:

I agree with the instructive nature of the match-up, but to be clear MBA is in the '2' position in the West.... CoachT Standing have it wrong... MBA defeated MUS earlier in the season.

5 minutes ago, nashvillebound said:

I agree with the instructive nature of the match-up, but to be clear MBA is in the '2' position in the West.... CoachT Standing have it wrong... MBA defeated MUS earlier in the season.

well well ...that changes everthing...

.....wernt usin T for rankins....Booger nose yall beat MUS...but still chunkin yall to third just cause u have a region loss

Booger just sayin :mrgreen:

2 hours ago, nashvillebound said:

^ Understandable.

MBA has a long road to haul to return to the upper echelon...West or Middle/East. A good showing in River City adds to the momentum .

Slow start to the season, but the Big Red are rolling now with a good defense.  I’ve been wrong before in going against Baylor, but Big Red get it done on the road.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2019 at 12:40 PM, eers said:

Not sure what your point is then. There a difference if you are catholic and you want to go to a catholic school. I’m speaking more directly about the kids in Sumner County that are being recruited by the coaching staff. You can say they’re not, but we all know they are. I have personally witnessed it. It makes ZERO sense for a kid to leave Beech, Gallatin or Hendersonville to go to JP2 for athletic purposes.  The most wins JP2 has ever had in a season is 7.  Just think about that for a minute.  

My kids do not play football so I will do some speculating. Perhaps a family chooses JP2 because as student athletes they might be attracted to the academics, the smaller classroom size, the excellent athletic facilities and competition in the DII-AAA region.  And given no student is “zoned” for JP2, I fully expect the administration and coaches to find a way (within the rules) to get kids into the school.

As far as the record, yes JP2 struggles for wins in the region.  I think any Sumner County school would be pressed to win 7 games playing the likes of BA, MBA, Ensworth, McCallie, Baylor, MUS, etc. every year.

8 minutes ago, JRB said:

My kids do not play football so I will do some speculating. Perhaps a family chooses JP2 because as student athletes they might be attracted to the academics, the smaller classroom size, the excellent athletic facilities and competition in the DII-AAA region.  And given no student is “zoned” for JP2, I fully expect the administration and coaches to find a way (within the rules) to get kids into the school.

As far as the record, yes JP2 struggles for wins in the region.  I think any Sumner County school would be pressed to win 7 games playing the likes of BA, MBA, Ensworth, McCallie, Baylor, MUS, etc. every year.

It is true that there is more talent in the hallways of Beech, Gallatin, and Hendersonville.  JRB makes a great point about excellent academics (which should be a parent’s primary concern) and smaller class size.  JP2, while not a top program in the state, seems to get a lot of schools on campus to check out their players.  Louisville, Vandy, Kentucky, Missouri are some of the names that people want to hear, but Dartmouth, Brown, and a few others are impressive as well.  I’m an outsider looking in, but it seems that the staff is working hard for their players.  Every kid isn’t going to the pros...what is more impressive on a resume....Louisville or one of the Ivy League schools?

keep doing what you are doing Coach G!

1 minute ago, PurplePanther said:

Who in Sumner county plays this schedule and goes undefeated?  These games are every week and not 2 or 3 big games a year.

On 10/21/2019 at 7:27 PM, PurplePanther said:

Who in Sumner county plays this schedule and goes undefeated?  These games are every week and not 2 or 3 big games a year.

They have ZERO Region wins and that non-region schedule is anything but stellar. Let’s not try to make it something it’s not.

Mad far as college coaches go, if you’re an athlete, they will find you.

Academics are an easy way to deflect the real issues we were discussing. The reality is if a kid can score high enough on the ACT/SAT, they will get in to those Ivy League schools. I’ve had teachers at JP2 tell me it’s more effective to save the tuition money, take the AP classes at the public school, and pay for a good ACT prep; as we know test scores is really what drives it all when it comes to college acceptance.

Unless the real concern is ego and presumed status... or as I have personally heard: “yeah, JP2’s recruiting me” and/or the student athletes concerned being able to tell their Middle School teammates/classmates this same thing.