TN records

cougars130

5 hours ago, JSamson7 said:

Greenback can have 8th graders on their team since they are K-12 on the same campus.

Quite a few A/AA schools can wrestle 8 graders just like some D2 schools can, it's why McTory and his record were SO impressive, dude was an absolute stud in a time where it was tougher to be a state champ and to post these records(at least in my opinion).  Unlike with D2 and A/AA I am not sure I know of many AAA schools that let 8th graders wrestle so you also won't see a 5 timer because of it. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, cobrakid8 said:

Quite a few A/AA schools can wrestle 8 graders just like some D2 schools can, it's why McTory and his record were SO impressive, dude was an absolute stud in a time where it was tougher to be a state champ and to post these records(at least in my opinion).  Unlike with D2 and A/AA I am not sure I know of many AAA schools that let 8th graders wrestle so you also won't see a 5 timer because of it. 

I agree, it's almost too easy to qualify for state and place these days. Charles is a very good friend of mine and class of '96 guy like myself. If he hadn't had won HS Nationals he may have ended up at UTC in my class as Leen was recruiting him super hard. In fact, Leen was the one who encouraged Charles to go to Nationals in the 1st place.

• Upvote 1

On 12/6/2019 at 5:44 PM, cobrakid8 said:

As far as 70 matches a year that's hard to do now and also sorry you don't count byes or forfeits into actual records.

Byes no, forfeits yes.  If you are scoring points for your team in a dual it counts as your record.  Yes, any scrub can go out there and get their hand raised, however, with the 3 guys mentioned I doubt that was the case.  I would be willing to bet there was several times that these teams were in a dual, and the opposing coach forfeited to these guys by choice.  These guys shouldn't take a no contest when they are ready to compete and the opposing coach chose not to wrestle.   They were going to get an easy win, and opposing coaches do not have the power to keep them from getting W in the stats column. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sx1234 said:

Byes no, forfeits yes.  If you are scoring points for your team in a dual it counts as your record.  Yes, any scrub can go out there and get their hand raised, however, with the 3 guys mentioned I doubt that was the case.  I would be willing to bet there was several times that these teams were in a dual, and the opposing coach forfeited to these guys by choice.  These guys shouldn't take a no contest when they are ready to compete and the opposing coach chose not to wrestle.   They were going to get an easy win, and opposing coaches do not have the power to keep them from getting W in the stats column. 

Pretty sure they didn't do that with McTory and his record, I know mine never included either of those with forfeits or byes. I mean I can go back over my books and include them I am all for it, would make my record actually more bearable LOL. Now also heavyweight is the hardest class to fill and you can go to a ton of tourneys and not see a full class. I am a Soddy boy and some years we would just beg a heavy football lineman to come out and get some wins for us. So I am sure there was some ducking going on, but I also would bet there were a few times there just wasn't a big boy to even wrestle. Besides 106 it's one of the easier first year wrestler can place weight class. Usually those boys stick with football and not wrestling as there is just more opportunity for them, it sucks but it is what it is.