Covington @ SS --- SGC @ Wooddale

Jokur

On 3/6/2020 at 4:05 PM, Jokur said:

LOL my original post was low class? By saying you should save your $ so you can afford that private school you so desperately aspire to be? Hit a nerve didn’t I? We’re talking ball and you bring up ACT scores. What else were you trying to get across?

oh and congrats on beating an inner city Memphis team in the playoffs. To think that doesn’t happen often in class 1A-4A is comical. SGC is known for choking in the postseason. 

Baseball? Choke.

Football? Choke.

basketball is a non factor to make it to state unless they somehow get aligned with middle Tennessee in substate matchups one day.

but let’s get back to the ACT talk, isn’t that what the CoachT SPORTS forums are for? Ha!!!

Considering South Side has been around since 1960 and South Gibson has been around since 2009, I    would say that this schools athletic program has done an impressive job. Most schools in their district and region have been around a lot longer than South Gibson has. Making it to sub state in basketball the last three years in a row is a impressive thing to do. Not many schools have done that in their schools history.(No matter a win or lose) And again this is from an outsider looking into an argument like this one. 

On 3/6/2020 at 4:05 PM, Jokur said:

LOL my original post was low class? By saying you should save your $ so you can afford that private school you so desperately aspire to be? Hit a nerve didn’t I? We’re talking ball and you bring up ACT scores. What else were you trying to get across?

oh and congrats on beating an inner city Memphis team in the playoffs. To think that doesn’t happen often in class 1A-4A is comical. SGC is known for choking in the postseason. 

Baseball? Choke.

Football? Choke.

basketball is a non factor to make it to state unless they somehow get aligned with middle Tennessee in substate matchups one day.

but let’s get back to the ACT talk, isn’t that what the CoachT SPORTS forums are for? Ha!!!

I don't think that you can say, "we're talking ball," and have the crux of your original post be some sort of slap at the socioeconomic makeup of a school. If you don't like their school, that's fine. But don't be surprised when their fans get defensive because you took a cheap shot at them. 

That being said, if you want to talk ball, I don't see how you can say that SGC is synonymous with choking.

Football is the youngest program in West TN and has performed at a relatively high level in their decade of existence. The only real choke I think you could point to would be in 2012 when they went undefeated in the regular season and got upset in the opening round of the playoffs. Outside of that, they've at least performed to expectations, if not slightly exceeding expectations. They had the toughest region in 3A this past year and played exceedingly well to win it.

Basketball has made substate the last two seasons, so it is hard to say that isn't impressive. I doubt many would have placed higher expectations on them than that.

I don't follow baseball on a state or even local level, so I can't speak to that. I do know that SGC has performed well in a variety of other sports (girls soccer, softball, cross country, etc.). 

I don't have a dog in the hunt, but I'm not a fan of people mischaracterizing situations. The person that turned it into an argument about ACT scores was wrong too. If we are talking sports, leave it at sports. If you don't think SGC makes it to the Boro, there is a good argument in favor of your opinion. Leave it at that, no need to try and take shots below the belt.