Whitwell @ Copper Basin

TheCommander

1 hour ago, TheRefuter said:

Let's clear a few things up, pal. 

Basin lost 4 good-decent players to graduation. The rest are returning. Want a breakdown? 

4 out of 5 OL including an all-stater

3 out of 4 receivers

All-State QB

RB that has averaged well over 100 yards in each game.

Defense is relatively unchanged with the exception of some personnel moves and a year's experience.

I'm nice to everybody on this forum, and I have respect for most programs in the state, including South Pittsburg. None of us have said we are going to win, but you're a fool that hasn't seen a lot of football if you think it doesn't have the potential to get interesting. 

I hope you come to the Whitwell game like you said. It's not a very big stadium. Which considering you created a burner account to talk smack about a high school football team, I doubt you'll own what you say anyway...

I will be on the Whitwell side standing along the fence most likely and I will not be wearing red so if you want to find me pal I will break the game down and explain how Basin isn't good enough to keep the game close with the mighty Pirates this year. Last year everyone on here was talking about how close the game was going to be and I just didn't see it last year and I surely don't see it this year. The reason I am going to watch Basin is to confirm my belief but I have an open mind so we will see how it goes.

15 minutes ago, The1AOverseer said:

I will be on the Whitwell side standing along the fence most likely and I will not be wearing red so if you want to find me pal I will break the game down and explain how Basin isn't good enough to keep the game close with the mighty Pirates this year. Last year everyone on here was talking about how close the game was going to be and I just didn't see it last year and I surely don't see it this year. The reason I am going to watch Basin is to confirm my belief but I have an open mind so we will see how it goes.

Welp buddy not sure that the Whitwell game is happening,, or atleast anytime soon!

16 hours ago, The1AOverseer said:

I didn't see it last year either. We were too young and one dimensional and still scored more on you than anyone else did in the regular season, including the 2A state runner-up.

I'm making the trek to Huntland tonight to evaluate the Pirates, and I'll share my observations which are always entirely objective and as accurate as possible. 

I've got no problem saying Go Pirates and supporting them tonight against Region 5.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

On 9/16/2020 at 2:54 PM, TheRefuter said:

As usual, the alums and community get no news unless we dig for it. As of right now, though, I would assume so. You can follow The Friday Night Pressbox on twitter for updates. 

Gotta take in to consideration that some of that stuff isn’t set in stone. So they really have no reason to tell anyone until it is. Plus there is so much stuff that goes in to football scheduling and all of the other things outside of the field that there’s hardly ever time to send out a memo to alumni. That’s at any school. 

South Pittsburg vs Huntland Assessment

Defense: 

This year the Pirates look pretty sound defensively. Their box defense is one of the best I've seen in a long time. Interior DL have good size, strength, and discipline. #75 and #65 will continue to cause problems for people. In most sets, the ends are very strong up top and quick. #24 is a good ball player and is as quick as some receivers. The secondary is not as sound as last year, but one of their safeties is a centerfielder back there. 

As far as defensive strategy goes, the football IQ is pretty high across the board. They roll coverages and disguise coverages very well and adjust the front accordingly. 

Offense:

I have concerns about the OL this year. #52 and #58 are very good, and #50 looks very undersized but delivered some of the best trap blocks I've seen this year. Huntland achieved some penetration early on in the game with a pretty lackluster DL. The backs and receivers are phenomenal. #4 is exactly who I thought he was and #2 is just as deadly when healthy. #11 is a threat to anyone downfield and #28 has the frame to play football on Saturdays and is very effective in the short game. #1 is one of the best QB's in 1A this year. Very smart with the football and maintains very good control when passing. He probably threw 6 passes last night and at least 2 were touchdowns and only 1-2 were incomplete after being hurried. 

Special Teams:

The return game will be a solid source of points for the Pirates as usual. #4 and #28 thrive in an open field. 

Kickoff team covers very quickly and very well.

The punter is probably the biggest weakness of this football team. 

Edited by TheRefuter
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, TN225 said:

Copper doesn’t have the horses or line to play with Pitt. You should win a home playoff game but I personally don’t see you beating Gordonsville in the 2nd round. 

Quick objective breakdown having seen both teams play as of Week 5 and subject to change:

Basin OL < South Pitt DL

Basin DL > South Pitt OL

Basin Receivers > South Pitt DBs

Basin DBs < South Pitt Receivers

Basin LBs < South Pitt RBs

Basin RBs < South Pitt LBs

South Pitt is the better team, but I've seen Basin beat a lot of better teams and played on Basin teams that beat better teams. This is football, nothing is set in stone. 

But you're right as far as it's an uphill battle. In order to get a gold ball, we will likely have to beat Gordy and South Pittsburg, two VERY good teams, as well as what will likely be Coalfield in the semis. Don't think for a second, though, that this team is afraid of the big time or that they aren't going to show up swinging. 

Edited by TheRefuter
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, TheRefuter said:

Quick objective breakdown having seen both teams play as of Week 5 and subject to change:

Basin OL < South Pitt DL

Basin DL > South Pitt OL

South Pitt is the better team, but I've seen Basin beat a lot of better teams and played on Basin teams that beat better teams. This is football, nothing is set in stone. 

But you're right as far as it's an uphill battle. In order to get a gold ball, we will likely have to beat Gordy and South Pittsburg, two VERY good teams, as well as what will likely be Coalfield in the semis. Don't think for a second, though, that this team is afraid of the big time or that they aren't going to show up swinging. 

I agree with all that you said but I do think if Basin plays it right their line will be better than South Pitts dL a majority of the game

8 minutes ago, TheRefuter said:

Basin OL < South Pitt DL

Basin DL > South Pitt OL

But you're right as far as it's an uphill battle. In order to get a gold ball, we will likely have to beat Gordy and South Pittsburg, two VERY good teams, as well as what will likely be Coalfield in the Semis. Don't think for a second, though, that this team is afraid of the big time or that they aren't going to show up swinging. 

I'm glad you got to go see how good the Pirates are. While our line and dbs are both smaller than average I will say they make up for it with speed and I can't wait to go to the Basin and find out what y'all got cooking up in the pan.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, TheRefuter said:

Basin OL < South Pitt DL

Basin DL > South Pitt OL

I would say a fair assessment. But, like last year, I also see a big margin of victory for the Pirates as well. Time will tell.

• Like 2