Honest, possibly uninformed question

Frauddle

As a fan who loves watching high school football, why haven't school administrations allowed students to opt for virtual learning for the remainder of the year. Doing so could possibly reduce contact tracing issues and allow students to finish out their fall semester sports/activities. As covid/contact tracing issues continue to ruin a teams season and possible playoff run, it seems to be a good option. Many school systems were virtual to begin the year so it seems the resources are there. It doesn't matter if it's football, band, or drama, all students should have the chance to participate and finish out their season, especially seniors who may not have a chance at the next level. Are the school systems looking out for the students best interest, is it political, not enough resources  or something different? Just wanting your opinion.

6 hours ago, Frauddle said:

As a fan who loves watching high school football, why haven't school administrations allowed students to opt for virtual learning for the remainder of the year. Doing so could possibly reduce contact tracing issues and allow students to finish out their fall semester sports/activities. As covid/contact tracing issues continue to ruin a teams season and possible playoff run, it seems to be a good option. Many school systems were virtual to begin the year so it seems the resources are there. It doesn't matter if it's football, band, or drama, all students should have the chance to participate and finish out their season, especially seniors who may not have a chance at the next level. Are the school systems looking out for the students best interest, is it political, not enough resources  or something different? Just wanting your opinion.

Many school systems have allowed that. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Frauddle said:

Many systems did offer virtual full year.  But there had to be a cut off date to declare virtual or in person for staffing and logistical regions.  Its just not realistic to let students switch from in person to virtual mid semester.  It would probably be possible for students to make the switch over Christmas break, but again there would have to be a hard deadline to declare one way or the other. 

2 minutes ago, oridgecat said:

Many systems did offer virtual full year.  But there had to be a cut off date to declare virtual or in person for staffing and logistical regions.  Its just not realistic to let students switch from in person to virtual mid semester.  It would probably be possible for students to make the switch over Christmas break, but again there would have to be a hard deadline to declare one way or the other. 

Also, from what i've heard, full online classes longterm are really difficult.  some students just can't do it.  Given the choice of playing sports or students' graduating, there's a pretty clear path.

2 minutes ago, guthook said:

Also, from what i've heard, full online classes longterm are really difficult.  some students just can't do it.  Given the choice of playing sports or students' graduating, there's a pretty clear path.

Yes, I agree with this.  My son is a virtual student and yes it is much more difficult than what the in person kids are being asked to do.  The  workload is much greater and there is no real instruction from a teacher, only zoom meetings if you have a question.  So, there is way more work and it is mostly higher level thinking required. I was told by a teacher at fall break that there was about a 40% fail rate for virtual students.  Had I known then what I know now, I would have sent him to school.  But, atleast he is more protected from the virus working from home.  

2 hours ago, oridgecat said:

That’s the situation where I live in Georgia. The parents of many athletes went this route just to be safe. The deadline has now passed here too.