Playoffs - Quarterfinals - Oak Ridge vs West

CardinalGrey

10 minutes ago, bonkers said:

I think OR will have to run the ball Friday night between 150-200 yards to win and I just don't see it happening. Has anyone rushed for even 100 yards on West this year? I hope I'm wrong but I think that success in the running game will give OR it's best chance to win.

I think there has been 2 teams rush for more than 100 and 2 teams rushed for negative yards.  Really hard to look at overall yards when starters were off the field in the second half in many games.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, bonkers said:

I think OR will have to run the ball Friday night between 150-200 yards to win and I just don't see it happening. Has anyone rushed for even 100 yards on West this year? I hope I'm wrong but I think that success in the running game will give OR it's best chance to win.

Catholic ran for over 100, and so did Clinton. In both cases though, Clinton and Catholic ran it 35+ times. Catholic averaged ~3.5 yards per carry, while Clinton averaged ~3 yards per carry. Note that about half of Clinton's yards came against the scrubs in the 4th quarter (on a handful of carries).

No one else could run for 75+ on them.

9 minutes ago, bonkers said:

I didn't mind lookin this up, because once I started looking I realized just how insane these numbers are...

Opponent                                       # Rushes- Yards                                      Total Yards

Farragut                                             30 - 66                                                       128

Karns                                                  32 - 69                                                        68

JeffCO                                                 33 - 46                                                         81

OR                                                       23 - -24                                                        54

HVA                                                     33 - 51                                                         196

CLinton                                               36 - 111                                                       210

PAL                                                      21 - -3                                                           369

Catholic                                              35 - 127                                                        379

Campbell County                               13 - 23                                                         170

LC                                                        24 - 31                                                           222

WV                                                        22 - 45                                                         147

4 minutes ago, guthook said:

I didn't mind lookin this up, because once I started looking I realized just how insane these numbers are...

Opponent                                       # Rushes- Yards                                      Total Yards

Farragut                                             30 - 66                                                       128

Karns                                                  32 - 69                                                        68

JeffCO                                                 33 - 46                                                         81

OR                                                       23 - -24                                                        54

HVA                                                     33 - 51                                                         196

CLinton                                               36 - 111                                                       210

PAL                                                      21 - -3                                                           369

Catholic                                              35 - 127                                                        379

Campbell County                               13 - 23                                                         170

LC                                                        24 - 31                                                           222

WV                                                        22 - 45                                                         147

It's hard to understand that two of the best teams West has played (Powell and OR) had the worst success running the ball on them. Does anyone have an explanation for that?  The way Powell ran the ball against the OR defense and then to see what West held them to is shocking.

3 minutes ago, bonkers said:

It's hard to understand that two of the best teams West has played (Powell and OR) had the worst success running the ball on them. Does anyone have an explanation for that?  The way Powell ran the ball against the OR defense and then to see what West held them to is shocking.

Powell never really tried to establish the run in that game, although I don't think it would have mattered. Even when they did run it, there wasn't much there. Powell continued to throw the ball because it was working.

Ultimately, they just couldn't stop West's offense.

6 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

Powell never really tried to establish the run in that game, although I don't think it would have mattered. Even when they did run it, there wasn't much there. Powell continued to throw the ball because it was working.

What do you think is the most effective way to slow down the West O? I know a poster a few days ago (I think Dawgs82) alluded to loading the box on them and mixing in some blitzes here and there? Not sure what I’d do TBH because they can hurt you in both departments (run & pass) which obviously produces quite the conundrum. We have to limit the big plays to have an inkling of a chance. Make them drive the field and win the field position battle. Easier said than done obviously.

Edited by SweetScience

6 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

Unfortunately, OR could neither run or pass for any significant yardage.

1 minute ago, SweetScience said:

What do you think is the most effective way to slow down the West O? I know a poster a few days ago (I think Dawgs82) alluded to loading the box on them and mixing in some blitzes here and there? Not sure what I’d do TBH because they can hurt you in both departments (run & pass) which obviously produces quite the conundrum. We have to limit the big plays to have an inkling of a chance. Make them drive the field and win the field position battle.

Keep the ball but if you can't run, that's a problem.

2 minutes ago, SweetScience said:

What do you think is the most effective way to slow down the West O? I know a poster a few days ago (I think Dawgs82) alluded to loading the box on them and mixing in some blitzes here and there? Not sure what I’d do TBH because they can hurt you in both departments (run & pass) which obviously produces quite the conundrum. We have to limit the big plays to have an inkling of a chance. Make them drive the field and win the field position battle. Easier said than done obviously.

I think you have to load the box, and make Dance beat you with his arm, especially if you have a secondary that is comfortable playing man-to-man. I would also watch the blitzes, because Dance is a very capable runner. Much more capable than I ever gave him credit for. Powell made some great second half adjustments against West's running game, but on more than one occasion, Dance took off running when Powell never accounted for him. That played a big part in the final result of that game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, bonkers said:

Keep the ball but if you can't run, that's a problem.

True. Dang Bonks, can you give me some kind of hope here? I’m excited about the game, but I keep going back to the regular season game and we just couldn’t muster up jack you know what on O. I know we’ve improved a lot since then, but I don’t think enough. Maybe we will have the game of our lives or something?? Ha.

4 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

I think you have to load the box, and make Dance beat you with his arm, especially if you have a secondary that is comfortable playing man-to-man. I would also watch the blitzes, because Dance is a very capable runner. Much more capable than I ever gave him credit for. Powell made some great second half adjustments against West's running game, but on more than one occasion, Dance took off running when Powell never accounted for him. That played a big part in the final result of that game.

I agree with you. Load the box. The best defense is a ball control offense, but I don’t see us doing a very good job of that in this game. Really there’s nothing wrong with punting and going 3 and out though. Not every time obviously, but would much rather do that than hand them turnovers. We can’t have ANY to win I don’t think. A tall task any way you look at it.