Playoffs - Quarterfinals - Oak Ridge vs West

CardinalGrey

6 minutes ago, SweetScience said:

I agree with you. Load the box. The best defense is a ball control offense, but I don’t see us doing a very good job of that in this game. Really there’s nothing wrong with punting and going 3 and out though. Not every time obviously, but would much rather do that than hand them turnovers. We can’t have ANY to win I don’t think. A tall task any way you look at it.

59 of 118 possessions (50 percent) by opponents have resulted in three-and-outs.

5star shared that stat in a recent article about the west D.  That's a crazy stat.  Particularly when you consider that many of the other possessions have to be against the second and third string.

29 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

Powell never really tried to establish the run in that game, although I don't think it would have mattered. Even when they did run it, there wasn't much there. Powell continued to throw the ball because it was working.

Ultimately, they just couldn't stop West's offense.

I don't know.  They ran it 21 times for -3 yards.  They tried to establish it.  They just couldn't.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, guthook said:

59 of 118 possessions (50 percent) by opponents have resulted in three-and-outs.

5star shared that stat in a recent article about the west D.  That's a crazy stat.  Particularly when you consider that many of the other possessions have to be against the second and third string.

Crazy stats, indeed. The West D is extremely impressive and has been since Lamar has been there. Such a great coach he is. Mo-West hasn’t been the same since he left. A tremendous pickup by West.

3 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

I think you have to load the box, and make Dance beat you with his arm, especially if you have a secondary that is comfortable playing man-to-man. I would also watch the blitzes, because Dance is a very capable runner. Much more capable than I ever gave him credit for. Powell made some great second half adjustments against West's running game, but on more than one occasion, Dance took off running when Powell never accounted for him. That played a big part in the final result of that game.

Very few high school teams can consistently burn you passing the ball. Most successful teams want to run and control things. Last year West wanted to pound it, Central went with 4 down linemen but split them out to headup/outside shoulder of the guards and tackles, and put two linebackers, foot-to-foot, two yds off the ball directly in front of the center. West couldn't block it, especially with Fortner and the other outside LB/DE coming off end. They forced Dance to try and beat them. Fortner blind-sided Dance early in the 2nd quarter and the kid was scared the rest of the game, afraid to wait long enough for his receivers to run their routes. Again, if you set back and let a team run their (good) offense, they will! You have to take them out of their comfort zone!

LOL, I'm sitting here saying all of this and don't know who I want to win your game. You're both good! And we have to win our game with SD. Good luck and again, "may the covid not be with you!

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, SweetScience said:

True. Dang Bonks, can you give me some kind of hope here? I’m excited about the game, but I keep going back to the regular season game and we just couldn’t muster up jack you know what on O. I know we’ve improved a lot since then, but I don’t think enough. Maybe we will have the game of our lives or something?? Ha.

I can't see OR going from negative yards rushing to 150-200. I'm not quite sure how OR beats West but I sure hope it happens. 

3 minutes ago, dawgs82 said:

Very few high school teams can consistently burn you passing the ball. Most successful teams want to run and control things. Last year West wanted to pound it, Central went with 4 down linemen but split them out to headup/outside shoulder of the guards and tackles, and put two linebackers, foot-to-foot, two yds off the ball directly in front of the center. West couldn't block it, especially with Fortner and the other outside LB/DE coming off end. They forced Dance to try and beat them. Fortner blind-sided Dance early in the 2nd quarter and the kid was scared the rest of the game, afraid to wait long enough for his receivers to run their routes. Again, if you set back and let a team run their (good) offense, they will! You have to take them out of their comfort zone!

LOL, I'm sitting here saying all of this and don't know who I want to win your game. You're both good! And we have to win our game with SD. Good luck and again, "may the covid not be with you!

The only problem with that is that we don’t have a LB the caliber of a Fortner (heck, who does?) We do have #38 who is excellent, but not on Fortner’s level.

4 minutes ago, SweetScience said:

The only problem with that is that we don’t have a LB the caliber of a Fortner (heck, who does?) We do have #38 who is excellent, but not on Fortner’s level.

Fortner walks up to a defensive end position (actually overloads the side). We had two other kids at inside LB. The problem for the offense was they didn't have enough blockers to handle the number rushing. And if the DE's see a RB releasing to the flats, they go with them. The whole idea is pressure, pressure, pressure! Craney is so good at coming up with the correct defense as the game proceeds.

• Upvote 1

I really think Oak Ridge needs to load the box and if they beat you deep passing you live with it.The Oak Ridge defense dont have the depth to let West pound them with the run and have long drives that keeps them on the field.Two things that should help the Oak Ridge offense is Jackson playing better and not just returning from missing a few weeks like last time.And if u remember Oak Ridge had just lost our center and was playing a new center that messed up the snaps all night.Oak Ridge probably had -30 yards rushing in snaps over the QBs head.Late in game it happened on 3 straight plays and we went from 1st and 10 to like 4th and 30 or more.Lets hope for one game the Oak Ridge OC runs some things we havent seen yet that West is surprised by.Line is down half a pt West -21