State Rankings

GreeneDevil123

On 1/7/2021 at 12:08 PM, NWhoopaholic said:

To answer the original question about rankings, the first AP poll will be released Monday. Everyone may begin criticism of us at that time. All rankings are criticized and everyone has an opinion. No, we can't see teams all across the state, even under normal conditions few people do. But the voters represent all parts of the state and share information with each other. It is as accurate as the information that's shared. When you compare final rankings to who makes the final 8 it stands up pretty well. Glad we have a season at all to disagree about.

Will the link be posted on this thread once the polls come out?

8 hours ago, warmachine7954 said:

For the TSSAA to find them eligible they have shown proof. 

I have an idea since the majority of your posts are ranting about this.

Come to Shelby County and check all these eligibility requirements for yourself. Then you can report it to the TSSAA. 

These great athletes are suddenly showing up at Houston High School because Mike Miller is the coach. Isn't that obvious? Can you not see that? Miller has Hoops City AAU as his advantage. If Miller was at Kirby, Collierville, Mitchell, Melrose he'd get the same kids. His advantage now is that out of state kids don't have to live in Germantown. They can just move into the commuting area and apply as a student in the district. Germantown is pretty expensive. The cheapest house right now is $220,000. But that doesn't matter with the rules the way they are. 

I'm sure some coaches are really upset. I beat Southwind is livid. They used to be the school that pulled the talent from the area but he won't be able to touch what Miller can do. 

Wanna blame somebody? Blame the TSSAA and the State Department of Education. Everything that is happening is well with in the rules that they set.

As long as winning the the top priority in high school athletics then this is what's gonna happen. The NFHS sold basketball out a long time ago to the shoe companies and with that the AAU and it's culture took hold.

Contact the TSSAA, start a petition, call your local representative. It is what it is and no amount of moaning and crying is gonna change it.  

I disagree when you say they must have shown proof because tssaa ruled them eligible.  Just ask Fayetteville's football team a year ago when a player was ruled eligible at the beginning of the year but  then ruled ineligible at the end of a year based upon a fraudulent  address.  

8 hours ago, warmachine7954 said:

One trick is to say that a kid is following "XYZ path" to graduation and his zoned school doesn't offer the classes for that. But magically the new school offers all the elective/major classes for that. 

Who is going to stop a kid from pursuing his dream of becoming a chef, police officer, mechanic, airplane mechanic, contractor, and numerous other programs that schools might or might not offer? Just so happens this student just happens to be good at basketball or football.

(baseball doesn't matter much in SC because CBHS, MUS, Collierville, Arlington, Houston, or Bartlett are getting those players when they're freshman anyway) 

This isn't anything new.  Hamilton High used to get kids from all over the city in the 90's by being the only high school in Memphis to offer dry cleaning.  

14 hours ago, Karl said:

I disagree when you say they must have shown proof because tssaa ruled them eligible.  Just ask Fayetteville's football team a year ago when a player was ruled eligible at the beginning of the year but  then ruled ineligible at the end of a year based upon a fraudulent  address.  

You can disagree all you want.

It doesn't change the fact that eligibility is based on a certain set of documents that have to be provided. 

I've coached in Shelby County and I'm a teacher in the system. I know what has to be submitted for an athlete of a student to transfer. Just because you disagree doesn't mean the process hasn't been followed truthful or not.

The bottom line in Shelby County is that coaches aren't going to turn other coaches in public schools into the TSSAA for these kinds of violations. There are two reasons.

1: It hurts the kids. If a kid is a good player then him missing a year does more harm than good. No matter what the coaches aren't going to stop these kids from playing. I mean many times its the parents shopping kids around because they either "think" their kid has this massive potential (they usually don't) and they want that payday down the road. Coaches aren't going to stop a kid from playing.

2: Other coaches don't want to get turned in themselves. There are some coaches that shamelessly talk to kids in the hand shake lines after games. Then there are coaches that have a kid or two they know (usually not a big name kid) that they could influence to come to their school. Then a decent role player might change schools, not necessarily to play ball but to have a better opportunity at a different school, and that kid wants to play and can contribute. Coaches won't bother because they don't want to hurt the kid and because if they have a kid come in they don't want people to turn them in. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, warmachine7954 said:

It doesn't change the fact that eligibility is based on a certain set of documents that have to be provided. 

I've coached in Shelby County and I'm a teacher in the system. I know what has to be submitted for an athlete of a student to transfer. Just because you disagree doesn't mean the process hasn't been followed truthful or not.

The bottom line in Shelby County is that coaches aren't going to turn other coaches in public schools into the TSSAA for these kinds of violations. There are two reasons.

1: It hurts the kids. If a kid is a good player then him missing a year does more harm than good. No matter what the coaches aren't going to stop these kids from playing. I mean many times its the parents shopping kids around because they either "think" their kid has this massive potential (they usually don't) and they want that payday down the road. Coaches aren't going to stop a kid from playing.

2: Other coaches don't want to get turned in themselves. There are some coaches that shamelessly talk to kids in the hand shake lines after games. Then there are coaches that have a kid or two they know (usually not a big name kid) that they could influence to come to their school. Then a decent role player might change schools, not necessarily to play ball but to have a better opportunity at a different school, and that kid wants to play and can contribute. Coaches won't bother because they don't want to hurt the kid and because if they have a kid come in they don't want people to turn them in. 

I guarantee you I've taught and coached in Memphis City Schools longer than you have. I assure you I know the process!  We both know how easy it is to get an address for a kid who can hoop.  Yes a process is followed for eligibility but it doesn't mean it is legit. It is a recruiting war every year for the top 8th graders in the city.  So in essence nobody says anything because nobody is following the rules. Is this what you are saying? 

1 hour ago, Karl said:

I guarantee you I've taught and coached in Memphis City Schools longer than you have. I assure you I know the process!  We both know how easy it is to get an address for a kid who can hoop.  Yes a process is followed for eligibility but it doesn't mean it is legit. It is a recruiting war every year for the top 8th graders in the city.  So in essence nobody says anything because nobody is following the rules. Is this what you are saying? 

I've never coached or taught in Memphis City Schools and it you still do then you're in an alternate reality because Memphis City Schools no longer exist. They haven't since 2013. 

Why are you asking me questions that I made clear to you? No one turns anyone in because of the two reasons I gave. Does everyone break the rules? Probably not. Are there coaches that do it out in the open because they know their not gonna get caught? Yes. I'd say 90% of job openings in Shelby County don't even get advertised. Administrators know who they want and know who they think will get the kids into play. Unfortunately, it's not always who can coach. It's who can get the kids. Take Lawson at Wooddale for example. I've had former players of his say he doesn't coach really. He does alot of yelling and might motivate the kids but as far as a game plan, Xs and Os, adjustments he either doesn't or can't. This is coming from guys that played D1 and pro internationally. Talent will win alot of games and at the HS level sometimes that's all that is needed.

If you know the process and you know all about what are you complaining about?

I'll tell you the same thing I told the other guy, who has been ranting and raving for years about this very thing, no amount of complaining here is going to do anything. Either take it upon yourself to work for the TSSAA as an investigator or petition the TSSAA to change the rules, get signatures to back it up, write a formal complaint or something but stop coming on here and whining about it.

Your, nor mine or anyone else's, opinion is valid, valued, or powerful in this. 

I disagree about Lawson, to the average Joe or a person who doesn't watch, you don't go undefeated at Hamilton and then come back and win a title with a school that has never won a state in anything in your first year coaching there (Wooddale). Lots of schools get players and they claim those schools have coaches who can coach but they never win or don't win to the level they should. They say Patino at White Station can coach but he has 1 title to show for it I think in 2009 and he had teams with 6-7 D1 players on them the last group being Chris Chiozza, Leron Black, Davell Roby, Curtis, Marvin Williams, Nych Smith and it was one more kid that went to SEMO that was 6'5..that's 7 d1 kids...the group before that may have been even better with Joe Jackson teams, so talent is great to have, very true but it alone doesn't always translate to wins or a title on the high school level. Mitchell had monster teams a few years back led by the late great Jerry Johnson but they didn't win and 1 team had Thad Young and 3 other d1 guys and a guy who could have been d1 but didn't have the grades. They didn't win...

I'm with you on the complainers....I guess they think the TSSSA guys or board members or Childress read and say hey, you know what, such and such with the screen name, "ImASnitch" is right, let's investigate that matter and come up with new rules...talking here does nothing but make you look a lil salty because another team gets players or that coach gets players and your school or the school your son goes too can't beat them when it comes time to.

Sorry I hurt your feelings.  No alternate reality here my man just telling you how long I've been around Memphis. I was around a long time before Shelby County schools consolidated.  Apparently you have not. I taught in both systems for your info.  I have earned my stripes.  I just think it is sad when rules are broken and nobody has the courage to say anything because  the mentality is everyone  else is doing it. 

3 hours ago, warmachine7954 said:

I've heard this from a coach in Memphis