Sycamore Open Again

topnight

2 minutes ago, ChineseFlu said:

I think Pickett County did this a few years back or may still do it.

I can see why a school with such limited staff positions, football experience, and resources would need to have a non certified person as head coach. However, no program pretending to field a competitive team would do so. 

1 minute ago, Sidelinehustler said:

I can see why a school with such limited staff positions, football experience, and resources would need to have a non certified person as head coach. However, no program pretending to field a competitive team would do so. 

I agree, I was just saying that a non certified teacher can not have the title of head coach

On 1/24/2021 at 4:29 PM, howdoitknow said:

Thank you for your confidence.  Sycamore will always be a special place to me.  I seriously hope that whoever they do hire is able to restore the proud tradition of War Eagles Football.  Pleasant View is a great place to raise a family and the community wants for it to be so good as it once was.  

If people want it to improve why haven't they forced the board's hand into making changes? The board works for them and is spending their money. From what I understand, the issue is coaching supplements.  It would not be that big an expense to pay three or four assistants $2000 or $3000 each. If you want better for your kids then go demand it.

4 hours ago, MondaymornQB said:

If people want it to improve why haven't they forced the board's hand into making changes? The board works for them and is spending their money. From what I understand, the issue is coaching supplements.  It would not be that big an expense to pay three or four assistants $2000 or $3000 each. If you want better for your kids then go demand it.

That's been a battle now for 18 years (since 2003).  I've been more opinionated than most regarding the challenges that the coaches in Cheatham County have to overcome just to have any semblance of a "level playing field."  There have been so many great coaches in many sports (not just football) who have coached kids and impacted their lives for the better.  Anyone who takes on the challenge to coach at Sycamore, Harpeth, or Cheatham County Central should be commended and given the greatest amount of support from the communities.  

8 hours ago, ChineseFlu said:

I agree, I was just saying that a non certified teacher can not have the title of head coach

To my knowledge that is incorrect. It isn’t in the TSSAA bylaws. If you could post that information I have missed it would be much appreciated. 

Edited by Sidelinehustler

3 hours ago, Sidelinehustler said:

To my knowledge that is incorrect. It isn’t in the TSSAA bylaws. If you could post that information I have missed it would be much appreciated. 

I don't have that info, I have always been under the impression (and I could very well be wrong) that a head coach must be a certified teacher.  Assistants don't have to be, but they have to take all the NFHS courses which ALL coaches have to take on a yearly basis.  

24 minutes ago, ChineseFlu said:

I don't have that info, I have always been under the impression (and I could very well be wrong) that a head coach must be a certified teacher.  Assistants don't have to be, but they have to take all the NFHS courses which ALL coaches have to take on a yearly basis.  

The required coursework is actually much different for non certified and classified personnel than for certified coaches. 

On 2/28/2021 at 8:10 PM, howdoitknow said:

John Harrison, a 1998 Graduate from Cheatham County Central High School and former Assistant Coach at Springfield High School, will be the next Sycamore War Eagles Head Football Coach.  Good Luck to Coach Harrison and the War Eagles on the upcoming football season.  

I could be wrong, but isn't he a coach that was on Hall's staff then quit before the season started and left Hall hanging with little or no help?  Not exactly sure of details.  May just have been a philosophical difference? Name seems familiar.

Edited by ocac

48 minutes ago, ocac said:

I could be wrong, but isn't he a coach that was on Hall's staff then quit before the season started and left Hall hanging with little or no help?  Not exactly sure of details.  May just have been a philosophical difference? Name seems familiar.

If so that would be a shame...tells me Hall never had a chance