Powell vs. Catholic 2021

KnoxVil

8 minutes ago, HTV said:

You can't be that naive.  

Ask the coaches at the school you support why they won't play Catholic.  

The obsession with Powell on this board has become downright humorous.  

Obsession with Powell?? I assure you there is zero obsession! I find your obsession to defend them at every turn comical. But I do like having you around to keep it interesting. Why won’t you just say what you think it is? You don’t mind speaking up any other time.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, KnoxVil said:

What do you think it is about then?

Maybe there is some animosity with Knox County Schools and Catholic?  Catholic recruits Knox County Schools kids (As do Knox County Schools as well) but Catholic can get them all if they wanted to without having to jump threw hoops to get them.  So maybe there is some hard feelings between Knox County and Catholic?  JMO  

8 minutes ago, KnoxVil said:

Obsession with Powell?? I assure you there is zero obsession! I find your obsession to defend them at every turn comical. But I do like having you around to keep it interesting. Why won’t you just say what you think it is? You don’t mind speaking up any other time.

I'm not defending Powell.  I am flat out saying that no other public schools in Knox County are playing them, either, and you and everybody else in the county know why they aren't.  

Powell doesn't need me to defend them.  They are already playing 6A schools Maryville and Science Hill on the road, as well as at Anderson County - all non region.  They have nothing to apologize for when it comes to scheduling.  

Yep, obsessed is the correct word.  

12 minutes ago, keepitmoving said:

Maybe there is some animosity with Knox County Schools and Catholic?  Catholic recruits Knox County Schools kids (As do Knox County Schools as well) but Catholic can get them all if they wanted to without having to jump threw hoops to get them.  So maybe there is some hard feelings between Knox County and Catholic?  JMO  

He knows exactly why.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, KnoxVil said:

It’s no use Vil, your arguing with the village idiot. You know why he won’t say why? Because there’s a old saying, it would be the Pot calling the Kettle black :rolleyes:

I have no knowledge of either program.  What I doubt is the so called TV money amount from a local station for a High School game.  For example ESPN aired a R'dale vs Oakland game in its 'rivalry' series of telecasts and even it did not approach the amount rumored for this game.

As with anything in life, "Follow the Money" to find the truth.

The kabosh has officially been put on this one.  

According to a person whose signature would have to be on a contract to play such a game, no game has been proposed nor will it be.  It's not going to happen, and it's not because of "competitive" reasons.  

A couple of points:

1.  If Powell were "ducking" good opponents, would they have accepted a game with the then two time defending state champion Central Bobcats last fall on 4 days notice?  Would they have agreed to go to Maryville in week 2 of the 2021 season?  

2.  As for a potential "$17K gate", that's just not realistic.  Catholic doesn't have the following fan base to help generate their share that large a crowd, especially playing a game that's on television on a Thursday night.  Catholic doesn't have the alumni base or numbers of students/parents to support it, and Thursday night crowds just aren't that big, no matter who has played in those games.  TV does cut in to gate in a big way on Thursdays.  

Reasonable and rational thought, not to mention facts from one of the primary players, pretty much proves this as nothing but unfounded rumor.  

Time to move on to the next anti Powell conspiracy.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HTV said:

According to a person whose signature would have to be on a contract to play such a game, no game has been proposed nor will it be.  It's not going to happen, and it's not because of "competitive" reasons.  

A couple of points:

1.  If Powell were "ducking" good opponents, would they have accepted a game with the then two time defending state champion Central Bobcats last fall on 4 days notice?  Would they have agreed to go to Maryville in week 2 of the 2021 season?  

2.  As for a potential "$17K gate", that's just not realistic.  Catholic doesn't have the following fan base to help generate their share that large a crowd, especially playing a game that's on television on a Thursday night.  Catholic doesn't have the alumni base or numbers of students/parents to support it, and Thursday night crowds just aren't that big, no matter who has played in those games.  TV does cut in to gate in a big way on Thursdays.  

Reasonable and rational thought, not to mention facts from one of the primary players, pretty much proves this as nothing but unfounded rumor.  

In talking to some people today...there has been push to get this game on TV. The offer is there to my understanding.  

That Powell/Central game last year everyone knew Central was not the same team that won Two Titles in a row. I am a Powell guy and thought we would smoke CHS this past season. 

I hope this game happens as I will be in the stands on the 40 yard line about 11 rows up always!!! 

Go Panthers!!!! Come on Powell...let's get this thing poppin'!

6 minutes ago, PHSClassof92 said:

In talking to some people today...there has been push to get this game on TV. The offer is there to my understanding.  

That Powell/Central game last year everyone knew Central was not the same team that won Two Titles in a row. I am a Powell guy and thought we would smoke CHS this past season. 

I hope this game happens as I will be in the stands on the 40 yard line about 11 rows up always!!! 

Go Panthers!!!! Come on Powell...let's get this thing poppin'!

Believe what you want, but the 3-4 people who actually have to sign the contract would be the people the proposal would be made to.  

I was told by one of those folks less than an hour ago that it hasn't been proposed and it's not going to be proposed.  

17 minutes ago, HTV said:

A couple of points:

Funny that you say “ducking” good opponents.... who said that? All I asked was why Powell would not play Catholic.... nothing more. I know a “primary player” or two as well. I guess it just depends which one you talk to. Have a great weekend HTV!

also.... folks would be at that game regardless of how well Catholic travels...

Edited by KnoxVil