District 9-AAAA 2021-22

repoman

7 minutes ago, trebs said:

Did Green Hill just take the air out of the ball to keep the clock running?

Yes they slowed the game down but Cookeville was just ice cold shooting.   4-12 from FT  and 2-13 from 3.  There were some horrible calls that went GH way but we just didn’t execute.  Missed a layup to win game at the buzzer but it should have never been close.  GH had a good game plan and they stuck with it.   They deserved the win tonight.    Hopefully this will burn a little and set a fire under them as they move to Region tourney.

40 minutes ago, LadyCavsFan said:

Yes they slowed the game down but Cookeville was just ice cold shooting.   4-12 from FT  and 2-13 from 3.  There were some horrible calls that went GH way but we just didn’t execute.  Missed a layup to win game at the buzzer but it should have never been close.  GH had a good game plan and they stuck with it.   They deserved the win tonight.    Hopefully this will burn a little and set a fire under them as they move to Region tourney.

I think Green Hill's defense had something to with it. Tonight was by far their best defensive effort as a team. Also Coach Abner created a good game plan and the girls executed it. 

Sometimes a loss is a good thing for an undefeated team...better they lose now than in an elimination game. Good motivation moving forward!

36 minutes ago, 79champs said:

10-7 halftime score, Cookeville and Lebanon are now in separate brackets again, seems like a loss to a 35 point underdog worked out very well for everyone. 

It was 10-7 score at the half with cookeville pressing almost entire first half.  GH broke press and backed ball out and ran 1-2 min off the clock each possession.  It definitely wasn’t a fun game to watch.   Of course if Cookeville converted some shots they wouldn’t have been able to do that but they couldn’t make anything.   If we play like that again we can lose to anyone in the Region.   I’ll give GH credit they didn’t just stall the ball.  They played really good half court defense all night.  And they made big shots at the end of the game.  They made the plays to win the game and Cookeville didn’t.

Just a lot of odd things went on last night seeing the game in person makes you question things that went on late in the ball game on the cookeville side.  Green Hill game plan was great start to finish and they stuck with it, Cookeville attacked the rim at will and after the timeout called late in the third stopped doing that on offense. 

2 hours ago, secretagentman said:

Just a lot of odd things went on last night seeing the game in person makes you question things that went on late in the ball game on the cookeville side.  Green Hill game plan was great start to finish and they stuck with it, Cookeville attacked the rim at will and after the timeout called late in the third stopped doing that on offense. 

Cookeville was forcing turnovers in the 3rd with the press and scoring and GH was taking quick shots on the press break which was leading to transition opportunities for Cookeville.  GH called the timeout and their coach calmed them down and they stopped taking shots in transition and instead backed it out and slowed it down again.   It worked because we missed FT's.  Otherwise they wouldn't have been able to play that way down 3+ possessions. 

15 minutes ago, GREENWAVE84EG said:

Gallatin should beat Mt Juliet relatively easy, but I think the other 3 region games are very competitive and close.  Cookeville and Lebanon may be considered the favorites, but all 4 district 10 teams have good talent and are capable of making runs here.

Anything can happen during tournament time.  But I wouldn't want to be the team that plays Cookeville next.  I suspect it will be a bloodbath.  They are going to be angry.

29 minutes ago, LadyCavsFan said:

Cookeville was forcing turnovers in the 3rd with the press and scoring and GH was taking quick shots on the press break which was leading to transition opportunities for Cookeville.  GH called the timeout and their coach calmed them down and they stopped taking shots in transition and instead backed it out and slowed it down again.   It worked because we missed FT's.  Otherwise they wouldn't have been able to play that way down 3+ possessions. 

Anything can happen during tournament time.  But I wouldn't want to be the team that plays Cookeville next.  I suspect it will be a bloodbath.  They are going to be angry.

Coach Gillies called a timeout after scoring on back to back slashing cuts to the basket in which they pushed ahead they got a stop and then Cookeville comes out and goes to holding the basketball losing all the momentum they had gained on Green Hill, the Hawks could not guard the curl cut all night and we stopped using it, just seemed a little odd.  

Edited by secretagentman

14 hours ago, ballfan said:

Sometimes a loss is a good thing for an undefeated team...better they lose now than in an elimination game. Good motivation moving forward!

This right here. I mentioned that to several folks last night. Being undefeated is hard to do, especially once you get into the tournament. That one loss blemish will serve Cookeville well in the tournament. Hendersonville could get absolutely throttled this Friday night.