Birth of a new rivalry: West Ridge at Dobyns-Bennett

TribalEmpire

Somehow this has the feel of that first DB vs. South game in 1980.    It went back and forth and was anybody's game until the end, DB 20-13.       So here we are 41 years later and we may have a back and forth game as both teams struggle to establish local 6A dominance.           Who else remembers that first game?

7 hours ago, blazer1set said:

DB is way better than most people thought they would be so as you say it will take a complete effort in order for WR to win.  Pulling for you guys

I watched D-B scrimmage with Knox Central and Lord Botetourt, and saw the film of their scrimmage with Anderson Co. They struggled with multiple things in all of those scrimmages, but record wise, D-B is still where I thought they'd be at this point. IMO WR will be the best team they've faced so far in the regular season and I think WR will probably hang around for the better part of 3 quarters with D-B pulling away late. The atmosphere should be electric. 

10 hours ago, 83SouthRebel said:

I agree that WR doesn't throw alot whether by choice or forced. For WR to have a chance, they cannot come into J. Fred "starry eyed", they must play mistake free and control the LoS. They must also finish drives in the red zone. Praying for a great game with no injuries!!!!

I dont think WR will be intimidated. For starters, I think playing with SH for a bit will give them some confidence. Second, DB made this their homecoming. What I worry about with WR s they come in too amped, and make silly mistakes ;because, theyre almost trying too hard.

On 9/16/2021 at 9:35 AM, blazer1set said:

DB is way better than most people thought they would be so as you say it will take a complete effort in order for WR to win.  Pulling for you guys

23 hours ago, WaCoJaCo said:

You're trying to set this up for a big upset. No DB is not way better than most people thought. Their pretty much right where people thought they'd be. After graduating 30+ players last year their in rebuilding mode. Their undefeated at this point because the teams they have played have not been very good. I don't think anybody can look at any game DB has played so far and say they played really well. I expect West Ridge will come in fired up and ready to prove themselves. It's just rare to see any DB team come out on the field and look fired up. They look the same every time. Throw in the ton of mistakes that are already built in so that part of the game will go in WR's favor. The most interesting part will be in the trenches. DB started the season with a bunch of inexperienced lineman but last week they did a pretty good job against a pretty good DC team. They say WR likes to play smash mouth so it will be a good test for DB. I'm thinking WR takes a early lead and DB comes back late to win it. A total guess.

Db is not way better than most expected. DB is down compared to the last few years. I expect Db to win this game and stretch it out late similar to how SH did. I wouldn’t be surprised if Db won by 3 or more TD’s. WR offense plays into the strength of DB’s defense which is stopping the ball. WR likes to smash mouth it and DB’s front 7 has played well against the run. If WR was more of an aerial team similar to how Volunteer was and could throw it well I would say WR would win the game. DB’s secondary has struggled this year and years past but I don’t look for WR to throw it a whole lot. If they do and their receivers can catch it I look for them to have some success throwing it.

On 9/15/2021 at 10:43 AM, blazer1set said:

We can probably all agree that the big city schools generally win over the smaller county schools.   And they should, they have more money, resources, students, facilities, etc.    They can afford to hire the top coaches (although that doesn't always happen due to the GOB system in a lot of places).      Not sure of exact numbers, but WR is probably close to the size of DB in terms of # students.   More students means a higher percentage of good athletes from which to choose.   Over time there may be way more parity between WR, DB and SH.     But for this week's game, I'm still going with DB.   WR has to prove they can play a complete game and put it all together.     Pulling for the Wolves but just don't see them winning this one.

What does more money,better facilities do for a kid living in low income playing FB?And then explain to me the Maryville running over teams twice the enrollment they have and also Alcoa, Greenville?

1 hour ago, toocool1991 said:

Db is not way better than most expected. DB is down compared to the last few years. I expect Db to win this game and stretch it out late similar to how SH did. I wouldn’t be surprised if Db won by 3 or more TD’s. WR offense plays into the strength of DB’s defense which is stopping the ball. WR likes to smash mouth it and DB’s front 7 has played well against the run. If WR was more of an aerial team similar to how Volunteer was and could throw it well I would say WR would win the game. DB’s secondary has struggled this year and years past but I don’t look for WR to throw it a whole lot. If they do and their receivers can catch it I look for them to have some success throwing it.

One would think the opposing team would just forget the run and throw the ball on every play against DB.   Really surprised at how many teams don't do that.

1 minute ago, DBturningitAROUND said:

What does more money,better facilities do for a kid living in low income playing FB?And then explain to me the Maryville running over teams twice the enrollment they have and also Alcoa, Greenville?

Maryville, Alcoa, Greeneville are all CITY schools.     Can you cite examples of where COUNTY schools consistently win over CITY schools?          For the most part it does not happen, but please feel free to show where it does.   We are all here to learn...

2 hours ago, blazer1set said:

One would think the opposing team would just forget the run and throw the ball on every play against DB.   Really surprised at how many teams don't do that.

DB hasn't played a team yet this year with a good passing attack with the exception of Volunteer. And Volunteer is still Volunteer. They have a good QB and a couple of decent receivers and that's it. I expected DC to have better success passing last week but DB's defensive line perked up and put a lot of pressure on the QB. Their receivers were still running open on the field but the QB didn't have time to find them. Tonight will be interesting. The WR QB isn't known to be much of a passer and their run game is their strength playing against the DB strength of stopping the run. I wouldn't be surprised if we see WR throwing a bunch of short passes. Maybe even some to the backs out of the backfield. 

2 hours ago, blazer1set said:

Maryville, Alcoa, Greeneville are all CITY schools.     Can you cite examples of where COUNTY schools consistently win over CITY schools?          For the most part it does not happen, but please feel free to show where it does.   We are all here to learn...

lol, so now its CITY vs, County? I thought it was the school size that was the argument. But I'm going to agree with you just because the "village idiot" is disagreeing with you.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, blazer1set said:

Somehow this has the feel of that first DB vs. South game in 1980.    It went back and forth and was anybody's game until the end, DB 20-13.       So here we are 41 years later and we may have a back and forth game as both teams struggle to establish local 6A dominance.           Who else remembers that first game?

I was a junior offensive lineman during that game. The game was at DB and was packed..South had a real good team back in the early 80's..neat DB 3 out of 5 first games played..after that DB had their way with them..they won a couple of times over the next 30 years but usually it wasn't a close game...Waco can tell you about the time South was sure they were going to win with a Big Ten college commitment at QB.  :)