Bearden open

HTV

10 minutes ago, edwardblake said:

According to the FiveStarPreps article they are allowing Shinlever to stay. What I'm wondering is how they are going to hire a coach with no teaching position available?

So, the former HC will remain in the building?   That won't help getting a new HC.  

Edited by oridgecat

10 minutes ago, edwardblake said:

According to the FiveStarPreps article they are allowing Shinlever to stay. What I'm wondering is how they are going to hire a coach with no teaching position available?

I would expect them to hire a paraprofessional and the booster club supplement the income, if that is the case. Money talks in West Knoxville.

6 minutes ago, edwardblake said:

This isn't commonplace, but we've seen coaches get hired in Knox County who weren't immediately placed at their school because they physically didn't have a position for them. Not ideal at all. I know that Rodney Ellison was teaching at Norwood Middle (in Anderson County) that first season at Powell, until they could hire him at the high school. It took a year and a half before he was physically teaching in the building at Powell.

Just now, edwardblake said:

The FiveStarPreps said he'd stay on as a PE teacher

I don't know how many of the 8 faculty coaches actually teach at Bearden, but if it's all of them than it is clear to see just how difficult it is for a new HC to bring even 1 or 2 assistants with him.  Many times the new HC is lucky to bring 2 of his "own guys" and the admin has to be pretty creative just to make that happen.  Making a change at the top that will have a chance to succeed is very difficult.   It's a tough situation these days.  Ain't like it used to be, it's tough. 

2 minutes ago, oridgecat said:

I don't know how many of the 8 faculty coaches actually teach at Bearden, but if it's all of them than it is clear to see just how difficult it is for a new HC to bring even 1 or 2 assistants with him.  Many times the new HC is lucky to bring 2 of his "own guys" and the admin has to be pretty creative just to make that happen.  Making a change at the top that will have a chance to succeed is very difficult.   It's a tough situation these days.  Ain't like it used to be, it's tough. 

Agreed. It would be something awful if a new HC was hired and those coaches decided not to work there anymore but continued teaching. It is hard to understand how a school as large as Bearden has these limitations in regards to staffing their school.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, oridgecat said:

Agree. And it seems that HVA has a PE position to deal with their job according to the KCS job board. I figured HVA's administration would be more serious about finding a way to hire a quality candidate than Bearden. Dr. Speas knows what it takes, he has been around successful football.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, oridgecat said:

So, the former HC will remain in the building?   That won't help getting a new HC.  

Maybe, maybe not.  I don't know this for sure, but I am hearing that there is a possibility he will be teaching at Farragut, where his former principal is.  

26 minutes ago, oridgecat said:

As I said earlier, in Knox County it's commonplace for assistant coaches to teach at other schools than the one they coach at.  Staffs are fortunate if the have half of their assistant football coaches teaching at the school where they coach.  

8 minutes ago, HTV said:

As I said earlier, in Knox County it's commonplace for assistant coaches to teach at other schools than the one they coach at.  Staffs are fortunate if the have half of their assistant football coaches teaching at the school where they coach.  

If you cross-reference the assistant coaches list from TSSAA on the directory mentioned earlier in this thread with the BHS staff directory, BHS had three varsity assistants in their school building (four if you count the former HC). In one of the largest schools in Knox County. Wow. 

• Like 1