Quarterfinal (Round 3) Covington @ Dyersburg

CHARGERFAN

On 11/13/2021 at 2:59 PM, stacmot said:

Coach Stowe was the head football coach at Haywood from 2001-2008.  While at Haywood he led the Tomcats to 55 wins and 40 losses.  Coach Stowe's playoff record at Haywood was 7 wins and 8 losses.  He guided HHS to the quarterfinals once (2007) losing to Memphis Mitchell 14-16.  He never made it to the semifinals.

From my point of view, and my point of view only, it's time for Stowe to get the gorilla off his back. He has proven that he is a good regular season coach, but has little success in the playoffs. This is a game that I feel like the teams are really close to being evenly matched, not like a 2018 when Haywood rolled in to Dyersburg. Dyersburg was overmatched in that game and the only reason Dburg won the game in the regular season that year is because Haywood was missing SEVERAL key players due to injury. Tomorrows nights matchup is not the same. I truly feel that the game could go either way. If Stowe is going to ever step up into a semi elite level he has to pull this game out. I know the players on the field ultimately decide the game, but the coaching staff plays a huge role in putting them in the right positions to be successful. 

7 minutes ago, Dash said:

From my point of view, and my point of view only, it's time for Stowe to get the gorilla off his back. He has proven that he is a good regular season coach, but has little success in the playoffs. This is a game that I feel like the teams are really close to being evenly matched, not like a 2018 when Haywood rolled in to Dyersburg. Dyersburg was overmatched in that game and the only reason Dburg won the game in the regular season that year is because Haywood was missing SEVERAL key players due to injury. Tomorrows nights matchup is not the same. I truly feel that the game could go either way. If Stowe is going to ever step up into a semi elite level he has to pull this game out. I know the players on the field ultimately decide the game, but the coaching staff plays a huge role in putting them in the right positions to be successful. 

I like and agree with your post! Dburg is a great regular season team but lack in the playoffs season! The crazy thing is they have the talent every year to compete with anyone, just for some reason can't be a major threat in the playoffs. I also believe that Dburg and covington are evenly matched. Where Covington has the edge is the culture there. It's just different. Covington has won games where they were outmatched as far as talent (dating back to early 2,000's) but the culture embedded in those guys is on a different level. If and when Dburg gets that taste, The culture in Dburg will begin to change! 

Dyersburg comes in somewhat healthy on the offensive side of ball. We do have 2 defensive lineman that played the first time around that will not play this time. This is a toss up in my opinion.  I do believe that Dyersburg has the better team this year but that means nothing when you are talking playoffs and rivalries. 

1 more day!!! Looking forward to making the drive to D'Burg, eating some wings at Mojo's, and hopping over to that nice stadium Dyersburg has. Covington needs to be extra focused. Many of you may not know that AC Mason's mother and Grandmother were shot after the game last week and in critical condition at the Med. I know they will be on the hearts and minds of many players out there Friday night. Last I heard, AC was going to attempt to play because that's what his mother would want. I hope the good Lord gives him and his family strength as they go through this tough time. 

It should be a great game. I think it will definitely be a one score ballgame and each team is going to have to play without mistakes.  

2 hours ago, Chargercats said:

I like and agree with your post! Dburg is a great regular season team but lack in the playoffs season! The crazy thing is they have the talent every year to compete with anyone, just for some reason can't be a major threat in the playoffs. I also believe that Dburg and covington are evenly matched. Where Covington has the edge is the culture there. It's just different. Covington has won games where they were outmatched as far as talent (dating back to early 2,000's) but the culture embedded in those guys is on a different level. If and when Dburg gets that taste, The culture in Dburg will begin to change! 

Agree 100%

1 hour ago, 00Chargers said:

1 more day!!! Looking forward to making the drive to D'Burg, eating some wings at Mojo's, and hopping over to that nice stadium Dyersburg has. Covington needs to be extra focused. Many of you may not know that AC Mason's mother and Grandmother were shot after the game last week and in critical condition at the Med. I know they will be on the hearts and minds of many players out there Friday night. Last I heard, AC was going to attempt to play because that's what his mother would want. I hope the good Lord gives him and his family strength as they go through this tough time. 

It should be a great game. I think it will definitely be a one score ballgame and each team is going to have to play without mistakes.  

Prayers to the young man and his family!

2 hours ago, 00Chargers said:

I had not heard this.  My thoughts and prayers are with AC Mason and his family.

Looking at playoff history and experience a little closer:

This will be Dyerburg's 9th appearance in the quarterfinals.  The Trojans have a 3-5 quarterfinal record, and Dyersburg is 0-3 in semifinal games.  

This game will mark Covington's 15th appearance in the quarterfinals.  The Chargers have a 10-4 quarterfinal record, and Covington is 6-5 in semifinal games.  (I know the numbers don't add up there, but there were no quarterfinal games in 1971 (only semifinals and finals).

Tradition and history do seem to favor Covington, but I'm looking at another factor as well.  Covington and D'burg have pretty much played the same caliber teams since their regular season match up with one exception. Covington played 4A undefeated Haywood.  

Even though Covington lost the Haywood game, I believe the Chargers benefited from that loss as it became an opportunity for them to learn, make adjustments, and get motivated to work and play harder.  

The Chargers have regrouped, they are looking for revenge, and I believe they are more than ready to take on an undefeated Trojan team.  It's going to be a good game.

4 minutes ago, stacmot said:

Looking at playoff history and experience a little closer:

This will be Dyerburg's 9th appearance in the quarterfinals.  The Trojans have a 3-5 quarterfinal record, and Dyersburg is 0-3 in semifinal games.  

This game will mark Covington's 15th appearance in the quarterfinals.  The Chargers have a 10-4 quarterfinal record, and Covington is 6-5 in semifinal games.  (I know the numbers don't add up there, but there were no quarterfinal games in 1971 (only semifinals and finals).

Tradition and history do seem to favor Covington, but I'm looking at another factor as well.  Covington and D'burg have pretty much played the same caliber teams since their regular season match up with one exception. Covington played 4A undefeated Haywood.  

Even though Covington lost the Haywood game, I believe the Chargers benefited from that loss as it became an opportunity for them to learn, make adjustments, and get motivated to work and play harder.  

The Chargers have regrouped, they are looking for revenge, and I believe they are more than ready to take on an undefeated Trojan team.  It's going to be a good game.

Preach Stacmot!!! Covington plays Haywood & Dburg plays Booker T Washington is basically the difference because I believe all the other games in between were region and playoff games. Covington loses the Haywood game convincingly and Dburg beats BTW convincingly. But who benefited the most? In my opinion Covington even with taking the loss.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Dash said:

Preach Stacmot!!! Covington plays Haywood & Dburg plays Booker T Washington is basically the difference because I believe all the other games in between were region and playoff games. Covington loses the Haywood game convincingly and Dburg beats BTW convincingly. But who benefited the most? In my opinion Covington even with taking the loss.

And 1A BTW finished the season 3-6.  I agree with what you said.

I heard some of the details today on the shooting of AC Mason’s mom and grandmother. No need to dwell on the how or the why. I’m  just praying for AC’s family members, and also praying that we find some way to stop the senseless violence in our communities. Our youth need to be able to enjoy life and their extra-curricular activities without worrying about shooting, injury, and death.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The Commercial Appeal says this about the game:

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/high-school/2021/11/17/tennessee-high-school-football-playoffs-tssaa-memphis-predictions-top-games/8606899002/

Covington (9-2) at Dyersburg (11-0)

When: 7 p.m., Friday

This is a Week 7 rematch won by the Trojans, 29-22. The Chargers joined Munford as the only team to score in double digits against Dyersburg during the regular season. The Trojans eliminated Millington last week, 49-20. Covington got 182 rushing yards from Eumorrion Flowers, and Class 3A Mr. Football semifinalist Jamarion Dowell upped his 2021 rushing total to 1,387 yards in a 35-0 victory over Ripley. Dowell also scored a pair of touchdowns to give him 20. Fellow Charger running back Jalen Fayne finished with 156 yards and has 1,001 yards on the season.

Prediction: Covington 28, Dyersburg 27

• Like 1