Tim Hammontree Resigns from Heritage

OrangePylon

38 minutes ago, BarneySox2007 said:

I would have thought 5 or 6 tops but not surprised. This is pretty much one of the saddest stories in all of Tennessee High School Football History. I've always said if there were a large school that would come so ever close to having to shut down it's football program this would be the place. I'm not making fun but just stating facts. 33 years with a 64-269 should wake somebody up somewhere but it hasn't. Now to make matters worse is the new Eagleton School and it don't take a rocket scientist to figure out where most of their players are going to come from. Most coaches with any knowledge of this isn't going to apply for that job because the worst is to come unless that job falls into the hands of a miracle worker by accident. I used to live in a home bordered by the football fence around Eagleton Middle and I can remember so well setting out on the deck back then watching the teams play and I can also remember the program getting axed and no games for years. I moved out behind Heritage in a nice home I can see the football lights shine and the noises from the games and the band practicing during the week. I sure would hate to go through that Eagleton experience again where I live now.

it really is sad, and it's terrible that one or two coaches are scapegoats when this has been ongoing and trending downward for decades.

i know when Coach Hammontree came in, he cleaned house and angered a lot of people. only problem was, the upstairs and attic of that house needed to be cleaned as well.

I'm not sure this coach is the answer. especially seeing all the social media posts in regard to his possible hiring. you can have a 'former college coach' but if nothing changes... nothing changes. 

it's a shame that there are people still walking on egg shells to save face. if you truly care about the students at HHS, do something. step up.

Edited by ftbllfan23

The only possible hope for Heritage is that some people have started planting the seeds in the youth program and the middle school turning out a great team this year. Who ever lands this job needs to make sure none of those kids leave the program for greener grass somewhere else because there isn't any.  That's usually an egotistic parent that has to find out the hard way uprooting their kid from their friends in order to find out they were wrong in the end. I knew things had to be bad for Danny Wilson to give up and leave like he did. A personal friend of mine that everyone knows on here told me the downfall started with a lady athletic director in his own opinion and long as I knew this person I can never remember him ever saying anything bad about anyone. We were discussing the Eagleton situation one morning and he popped up and said that and believe me if there was somebody out there that knew that first hand this would be the person that would know and have the right to say what he though of anyone's performance out there. I had heard that from others as well.

Not that I think that Coach Osovet would ever go to Heritage or want to go to Heritage but why in the hades would they want to hire a guy that was a JUCO offensive coordinator, JUCO Head Coach, 2014 Sports Writers JUCO Coach of the year, has many Coaches Choice Videos about his offense, Tennessee Tight Ends Coach, a great recruiter, and one of the best offensive minds in the country when they have so many legendary coaches around Blount County!  He's not ready for Blount County High School Football.  You have so many people that have the answer and are willing to go turn things around in their back yard.   I mean the "I" or the Wing T!  Couldn't be stopped!  He applied for William Blount and didn't get it so why would he think he could get it at Heritage.   And last if he did take the job and won ftbllfan23 would have a heart attack because he would have nothing else to blame!!  I think they should go after Shad just to keep BarneySox happy!  Shad verses Reeves!  That would be great for Blount County Football!  

44 minutes ago, BS101 said:

Not that I think that Coach Osovet would ever go to Heritage or want to go to Heritage but why in the hades would they want to hire a guy that was a JUCO offensive coordinator, JUCO Head Coach, 2014 Sports Writers JUCO Coach of the year, has many Coaches Choice Videos about his offense, Tennessee Tight Ends Coach, a great recruiter, and one of the best offensive minds in the country when they have so many legendary coaches around Blount County!  He's not ready for Blount County High School Football.  You have so many people that have the answer and are willing to go turn things around in their back yard.   I mean the "I" or the Wing T!  Couldn't be stopped!  He applied for William Blount and didn't get it so why would he think he could get it at Heritage.   And last if he did take the job and won ftbllfan23 would have a heart attack because he would have nothing else to blame!!  I think they should go after Shad just to keep BarneySox happy!  Shad verses Reeves!  That would be great for Blount County Football! 

glad you joined to chime in - just a few things:

Coach Osovet has been seen on heritage campus.

we all have google, but thanks for giving us the guy's Linkedin bio. would you like to provide us with his famous hashtag as well? 

also, I'm blaming what? the decades of the same lack of support and multiple turnover? 

I see a lot of others placing blame as well, and it's heading to the same place. I'm not the only one that knows it starts at the top. 

if you were one of the best offensive minds in the country, why haven't you been scooped up somewhere? that's interesting. look, I've got nothing against this coach, but I have everything in this county and a change for the students at heritage AND william blount.

hope you aren't wishing a heart attack on me, I'm not the spring chicken I used to be.

Edited by ftbllfan23

9 minutes ago, ftbllfan23 said:

glad you joined to chime in - just a few things:

Coach Osovet has been seen on heritage campus.

we all have google, but thanks for giving us the guy's Linkedin bio. would you like to provide us with his famous hashtag as well? 

also, I'm blaming what? the decades of the same lack of support and multiple turnover? 

I see a lot of others placing blame as well, and it's heading to the same place. I'm not the only one that knows it starts at the top. 

if you were one of the best offensive minds in the country, why haven't you been scooped up somewhere? that's interesting. look, I've got nothing against this coach, but I have everything for this county and a change for the students at heritage AND william blount.

hope you aren't wishing a heart attack on me, I'm not the spring chicken I used to be.

Who has seen him on campus?  I wouldn't wish a heart attack on anyone.  Just poking fun at you!  If the ones above are so bad then you know they won't hire him!  I'm sure they will go after the "Good Ole Boy". 

8 minutes ago, BS101 said:

Who has seen him on campus?  I wouldn't wish a heart attack on anyone.  Just poking fun at you!  If the ones above are so bad then you know they won't hire him!  I'm sure they will go after the "Good Ole Boy". 

Does sound like you are a little jealous tho!  

24 minutes ago, BS101 said:

I guess wing T and "I " here we come!  Unless they go after Shad! 

Hope they don't go in this direction for the reason mentioned in previous posts. There are several local coaches who would be much better candidates. Adam Hendricks at Maryville was at Heritage for a long time working with both Hammontree and Russell. Great person and coach. Don't know that he'd move but he'd be a good choice. Josh Whitehead at Heritage Middle is a solid coach and person who has helped out at the HS.  He has ties to the HS (wife is assistant principle.) 

To build numbers they really need someone in the building full time. They also need someone who knows the community to work the feeder programs and build support. Bringing in what would seem like a short term coach with no local ties seems like just another nail in the coffin for this program. 

• Like 1

I remember going out to Heritage when Hammontree just started to win a few games back in 2014 and setting up towards the top of the stadium and they were playing Seymout on a Maryville open date night which Heritage won that night 45-8. There had to have been a mile in penalties called that night and it was all I could do to stay there and watch it. I was setting with Jack Renfro and Benny Dalton and they got up and left at halftime and I ask them why are you leaving and they both said they had to get up early the next morning and someone else setting there told me they always left at halftime every game. It seemed like every single good play during that game got called back for holding, clip or offside. It came a very light sprinkle midway through the third quarter and I used that as my excuse to part company because I couldn't take another minute of watching kids that didn't know the fundamentals of football and a game being drawn out forever in penalties. If I had stay much longer to watch that I might have jumped off the back of the stadium and got it over with. I'm not a dummy and I'm pretty sure getting up early was a great excuse Jack and Benny could only come up with to get out of there. That night told me so much what was wrong with that program and it boiled down to stuff these kids missed out on down the line in youth league or middle school ball if they even played that before. Good thing is that there is help coming from that direction for the next head coach if they stay there a while. Also BS101 I'm not in favor of a coach that has had his try here at coaching and failed then move on to something a lot more complicated than what they came from.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BS101 said:

I guess wing T and "I " here we come!  Unless they go after Shad! 

Knowing what I know now about Shad that guy never should’ve been allowed to be in charge of the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, much less a 6A football program. I don’t know what switched in his brain, why or when it happened but he definitely was not the same coach at the end of his WB tenure than at the beginning. 

Who in the world leaves HAND-WRITTEN LETTERS from college coaches wanting your players to come to a camp in your office only to be found months later by someone cleaning out the office? (He didn’t even tell the players they were invited to the camp…) Who leaves multiple plaques of awards that your players have won hidden in a dusty corner only to be found by the new coach who rightfully gives them to the player who won them. Who in their right mind walks into the locker room of a 1-8 team on senior night and basically tells the seniors that this isn’t about you tonight it’s about the future and what’s coming up next year. 

I don’t know if he gave up at the end or what, but that’s pretty pathetic of a coach if you ask me. 

1 hour ago, camppack said:

Hope they don't go in this direction for the reason mentioned in previous posts. There are several local coaches who would be much better candidates. Adam Hendricks at Maryville was at Heritage for a long time working with both Hammontree and Russell. Great person and coach. Don't know that he'd move but he'd be a good choice. Josh Whitehead at Heritage Middle is a solid coach and person who has helped out at the HS.  He has ties to the HS (wife is assistant principle.) 

To build numbers they really need someone in the building full time. They also need someone who knows the community to work the feeder programs and build support. Bringing in what would seem like a short term coach with no local ties seems like just another nail in the coffin for this program. 

YEEEESSSSSS!  Why would they want to bring in a guy that won at the JUCCO level then went to ASA Community College and went from 4-6 his first year to 9-1 in his second then on to the University of Tennessee!!  He turned that program around too quick.  He should have took more time!  The William Blount and Heritage hires and Coach Osovet have brought Campack and ftbllfan28 out of CoachT retirement since 2011!!!! I bet they haven't talked to any of the Maryville Coaches including Adam Hendricks!! Like Osovet those Maryville guys probably aren't qualified for the Heritage job!  Heritage needs those coaching legends in the back yard to come out and get them back to smash mouth football like they did in the 90's and early to mid 2000's!!  Forget the BOLT Offense when you have people that teach the Wing T and "I"!!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, BS101 said:

YEEEESSSSSS!  Why would they want to bring in a guy that won at the JUCCO level then went to ASA Community College and went from 4-6 his first year to 9-1 in his second then on to the University of Tennessee!!  He turned that program around too quick.  He should have took more time!  The William Blount and Heritage hires and Coach Osovet have brought Campack and ftbllfan28 out of CoachT retirement since 2011!!!! I bet they haven't talked to any of the Maryville Coaches including Adam Hendricks!! Like Osovet those Maryville guys probably aren't qualified for the Heritage job!  Heritage needs those coaching legends in the back yard to come out and get them back to smash mouth football like they did in the 90's and early to mid 2000's!!  Forget the BOLT Offense when you have people that teach the Wing T and "I"!!

for you to jump on here and say anything, someone must have hit a nerve with you. how about stop the yelling and make some sense of what you're saying and also make sense of what's been said on here. 

nobody is saying Osovet is a 'horrible coach', nobody is saying they want good ol' boys. what's being said in this thread is what's occurred over the past 30 years, not to mention the battles coaches in the past 20 years have had alone. if something doesn't change elsewhere within the school system, no coach, whether you're Nick Saban or Vince Lombardi is going to change the program. 

as for coming out of retirement - one, just because there aren't posts, doesn't mean we aren't reading. two, after you sit for years and watch what happens on the outside while knowing a bit more on the inside, you tend to voice the concerns you have for the students in the community you live in. both coaches resigned at the county schools after years of trying to make it work. that's a concern. should we call you out for making an account less than 12 hours ago? i guess the maturity levels are different here.

quit hyping up an offense that if it actually were the nation's best, coach wouldn't be trying to land any possible area high school job that's open. have you talked to the man? do you know something we don't? we're not on his back, we're trying to make sense of the situation. you seem to be the only one that's for this hire. other than his coaching history you found on the internet, please tell us what makes this man the perfect coach for these specific kids at this specific time...

sit down, or in fact, take several seats...

Edited by ftbllfan23