Tim Hammontree Resigns from Heritage

OrangePylon

53 minutes ago, ftbllfan23 said:

i've noticed on some other threads that mention the overturn of coaching staff at heritage under Coach Hammontree. i've talked to former assistant coaches of his and i can tell you one thing. none of them left because of him, they left because of the system. they left for a better opportunity for their families. they left to move back home, they left because they felt like the program wasn't supported enough. do you know how many of them told Coach to give up? told him he was beating his head against a wall? that nothing was going to change and he needed to get out? all of them.

do you know how many former players came back to coach in the midget leagues and the feeder programs to help bring the high school program back to life? and do you know how many finally quit and gave up because of constant bickering and battering from parents? all of them.

i tip my hat to coach for putting up with all that's occurred in the past 10 years to make sure the kids there knew they had someone they could trust. he didn't give up on them. at this point, at his age, he just can't keep pushing with nothing budging. 

i saw something on twitter about the coaching tree of Coach...here are just a few:

1. George Quarles - ETSU
  2. Jason Phillips - Alcorn
  3. Caine Ballard - former Greeneville head football coach with 4 state championships
  4. Shawn Quinn - VT
  5. Kyle Richardson - Clemson

there are many others at the high school and college levels, i just picked the ones that would be known locally.

i get that coach is an old school coach, most parents do not like that he does things a certain way and he can be pretty harsh sometimes, but the coddling that parents are demanding is unreal. high school sports are becoming pretty political in so many aspects and there is way more handshaking, kissing babies and making sure junior doesn't get his feelings hurt because he's not starting and he has started every game since he was 6. a lot of high school coaches if they get the chance, they will turn to college positions. high school and college are completely different worlds. the kids get recruited and then that's that. it's one on one, no parents calling, emailing, showing up at practice, checking them out of school, you get the idea.

the point to all of this is that you can be a heck of a coach and put together a staff of incredible offensive and defensive minded people, but if you do not have the support, equipment and more to succeed, it just won't happen, not at heritage, not at any school. but this isn't about Hammontree anymore, he just can't be used to blame and as a scapegoat.

'former college coach' or not, if this Coach O guy comes in thinking he can pull an elephant out of an ant hill, he's got another thing coming. until something at the top changes, it all stays the same and then he jumps ship as soon as his phone rings. 

what's the definition of insanity again? doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result? something has got to give somewhere for this program to have even a chance at thriving again, and honestly, whoever takes over, i wish it happens for them.

Great Posts!

Sadly, what has been said in this thread is true. Horrible support at Heritage makes the job almost impossible. AD is a big part of the problem. Assistant coaches liked working for Hammontree but left for better opportunities (which can be found almost anywhere outside of Blount County Schools.)  Hammontree was more committed and worked harder than most coaches would have in this no win situation. A new coach isn't going to help much unless the broader culture and system changes. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ftbllfan23 said:

i've noticed on some other threads that mention the overturn of coaching staff at heritage under Coach Hammontree. i've talked to former assistant coaches of his and i can tell you one thing. none of them left because of him, they left because of the system. they left for a better opportunity for their families. they left to move back home, they left because they felt like the program wasn't supported enough. do you know how many of them told Coach to give up? told him he was beating his head against a wall? that nothing was going to change and he needed to get out? all of them.

do you know how many former players came back to coach in the midget leagues and the feeder programs to help bring the high school program back to life? and do you know how many finally quit and gave up because of constant bickering and battering from parents? all of them.

i tip my hat to coach for putting up with all that's occurred in the past 10 years to make sure the kids there knew they had someone they could trust. he didn't give up on them. at this point, at his age, he just can't keep pushing with nothing budging. 

i saw something on twitter about the coaching tree of Coach...here are just a few:

1. George Quarles - ETSU
  2. Jason Phillips - Alcorn
  3. Caine Ballard - former Greeneville head football coach with 4 state championships
  4. Shawn Quinn - VT
  5. Kyle Richardson - Clemson

there are many others at the high school and college levels, i just picked the ones that would be known locally.

i get that coach is an old school coach, most parents do not like that he does things a certain way and he can be pretty harsh sometimes, but the coddling that parents are demanding is unreal. high school sports are becoming pretty political in so many aspects and there is way more handshaking, kissing babies and making sure junior doesn't get his feelings hurt because he's not starting and he has started every game since he was 6. a lot of high school coaches if they get the chance, they will turn to college positions. high school and college are completely different worlds. the kids get recruited and then that's that. it's one on one, no parents calling, emailing, showing up at practice, checking them out of school, you get the idea.

the point to all of this is that you can be a heck of a coach and put together a staff of incredible offensive and defensive minded people, but if you do not have the support, equipment and more to succeed, it just won't happen, not at heritage, not at any school. but this isn't about Hammontree anymore, he just can't be used to blame and as a scapegoat.

'former college coach' or not, if this Coach O guy comes in thinking he can pull an elephant out of an ant hill, he's got another thing coming. until something at the top changes, it all stays the same and then he jumps ship as soon as his phone rings. 

what's the definition of insanity again? doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result? something has got to give somewhere for this program to have even a chance at thriving again, and honestly, whoever takes over, i wish it happens for them.

There's at least three former Heritage assistant coaches (under Hammontree) that currently coach at Maryville.

6 minutes ago, OldRebel2 said:

There's at least three former Heritage assistant coaches (under Hammontree) that currently coach at Maryville.

yes, and from what a couple have told me, he encouraged them to do what's best for their families and take those positions.

this would also show that if these coaches were good enough for Maryville, then they are really quality coaches and it must not be the staff at heritage, but a bigger problem, wouldn't you agree? 

21 minutes ago, ftbllfan23 said:

yes, and from what a couple have told me, he encouraged them to do what's best for their families and take those positions.

this would also show that if these coaches were good enough for Maryville, then they are really quality coaches and it must not be the staff at heritage, but a bigger problem, wouldn't you agree? 

Agreed for the most part.  The "quality" coaches would need to stay aroundlonger to have any chance for long term success. 

I will say that the Heritage youth teams are in maybe the best shape ever.  There's a couple (maybe more) high quality guys who have stepped up and are running the Heritage youth league teams.  The numbers are WAY up and the retention has been good.  The Heritage Pee Wee team played in the Super Bowl championship this past season.

33 minutes ago, OldRebel2 said:

Agreed for the most part.  The "quality" coaches would need to stay aroundlonger to have any chance for long term success. 

I will say that the Heritage youth teams are in maybe the best shape ever.  There's a couple (maybe more) high quality guys who have stepped up and are running the Heritage youth league teams.  The numbers are WAY up and the retention has been good.  The Heritage Pee Wee team played in the Super Bowl championship this past season.

I saw that. A great change from years past. I believe middle school did well this past season also.

I think, though, when you're a young coach and are looking to grow within a program and have the opportunity to surround yourself with a community of not only a group of good coaches, but parents that provide the support needed, you make that decision to move. Can't fault any of them for not staying longer than they did.

Edited by ftbllfan23

I was there at the very first game Heritage officially played against McMinn County at home back in late August of 1977 and still remember being down 21-7 at half and tied the game up 21 all and went into overtime with Heritage winning 28-27. I have plenty of lifelong friends that played on that first Heritage team. The first twelve years Heritage was 77-49 and the next 33 years they have went 64-269 and that's since 1989. The reason I mention those dates was when the county dropped the football program for a few years at Eagleton Middle School the hotbed for players which most went onto Heritage. That happened around 89 to 91 I believe. When that happened football at Heritage went into the dumpster losing it's main feeder system. During those troubling times the county came so close to shutting the Heritage and WB football programs down until every player on both teams showed up at the court house with their uniforms on in protest along with a very angry mob. The Good ole boy system Blount County has always been run under is the biggest bearing on why the schools, teachers, coaches and kids have suffered. We keep electing someone not qualified for the leading position that is in charge of the whole show. You would think the Lambert money would eventually get watered down with so many offspring but I guess not.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, OrangePylon said:

Is it really gonna be Osovet?

it's looking like parents and players aren't too thrilled with this idea even though nothing is official yet.

I guess William Blount and other schools in the area not hiring him meant nothing to those at HHS. :-? 

Edited by ftbllfan23

21 hours ago, ftbllfan23 said:

I saw that. A great change from years past. I believe middle school did well this past season also.

I think, though, when you're a young coach and are looking to grow within a program and have the opportunity to surround yourself with a community of not only a group of good coaches, but parents that provide the support needed, you make that decision to move. Can't fault any of them for not staying longer than they did.

Midgets gave the Rebs all they wanted in the playoffs as well.

9-12 year olds are a talented group. TBD on the 7-8s, but there is some talent in the pipeline if they stick with it.

3 minutes ago, ftbllfan23 said:

from what I'm hearing, he was the only applicant...

I would have thought 5 or 6 tops but not surprised. This is pretty much one of the saddest stories in all of Tennessee High School Football History. I've always said if there were a large school that would come so ever close to having to shut down it's football program this would be the place. I'm not making fun but just stating facts. 33 years with a 64-269 should wake somebody up somewhere but it hasn't. Now to make matters worse is the new Eagleton School and it don't take a rocket scientist to figure out where most of their players are going to come from. Most coaches with any knowledge of this isn't going to apply for that job because the worst is to come unless that job falls into the hands of a miracle worker by accident. I used to live in a home bordered by the football fence around Eagleton Middle and I can remember so well setting out on the deck back then watching the teams play and I can also remember the program getting axed and no games for years. I moved out behind Heritage in a nice home I can see the football lights shine and the noises from the games and the band practicing during the week. I sure would hate to go through that Eagleton experience again where I live now.

• Like 1