Tim Hammontree Resigns from Heritage

OrangePylon

1 hour ago, BarneySox2007 said:

Have a friend that has a son on the basketball team that told me with the large number of Hispanic kids that live around the school that soccer not football will be the big sport there. Times may have changed but I remember back when I was in school they offered vocational training and I can tell you for a 100% fact those kids were not interested in any sports.

Heritage has not been getting many athletes from this area. The real impact will be on total enrollment and a potential change is classes. 

36 minutes ago, camppack said:

Heritage has not been getting many athletes from this area. The real impact will be on total enrollment and a potential change is classes. 

That area was once the hotbed for athletes years ago. Much has changed over time but throughout the 60's 70's, and 80's the school with the best haul out of that area was the one that you could count on being the top dog. When the county dropped football at Eagleton around 1990 most kids that played football paid tuition and went over to Alcoa Middle as to not play for two years  then pick back up in high school if they went on to Heritage. Even though football picked back up at Eagleton years later the damage was permanent. The county has made many bad decisions over the years that has had a direct impact on the football programs and where they stand today. 

I'd also like to add something to my previous post, but a separate thought.

most do not realize what is occurring at a lot of the area schools either when it comes to the kids. like i mentioned before, you have parents/family members causing issues, complaining and so on, but on the other side of the coin you have talented kids that aren't playing sports. the community and the other parents are claiming that it's because of the 'staff' - nobody wants to play for them, so on and so forth, you get the idea. but the real reasons are what's going on behind closed doors that most do not know about. things that the coaches face each day in trying to help not just the athletes that ARE playing, but the students they have in class that reach out to them.

why aren't they playing (insert sport here) --- because:

• they're the ones keeping bills paid
  • they have to pay for the family car
  • they have no idea where they are sleeping that night
  • both parents walked out on them/their siblings
  • no ride home from practices (do you realize how many are left after games? it's astonishing)
  • taking care of younger siblings
  • 3rd shift jobs
  • death of a parent/grandparent - now they are head of household
  • addiction/alcoholism in the family 
  • many other fears/issues preventing them from just getting to and from school
  • now more currently, the pandemic along with these other issues bringing the unknown.

it was mentioned earlier in this thread about a legacy. here's my view on the 'record' that Coach leaves. he went to GA for his kids to have a better opportunity for college through HOPE scholarship that didn't exist in TN, that was said in his exit interview when he left Maryville after a perfect 15-0 season. GQ was one of his assistants and you know where that led him and the program at Maryville. He then coached at NGHS (a known basketball school in gwinnett county at the time) he laid the groundwork for that program, setting records, winning games for the first time in school history and a few NFL players came out of that. they've been successful every year since. he moves back to Rhea County where he coached in the 80s to build the program there. playoffs, winning seasons, plans for new facilities and so on. when he felt his time was up, he moved back to GA (along with Robert Reeves) under John Reid at East Paulding. I won't keep rambling on, however, you can look up EP's records and success since that particular staff left. sometimes it's more about what you sow the seeds for, than what you reap. Coach Hammontree has said in years past, he goes where he's called to coach, he works hard for the players and to set an example of what it means to be a good human. i don't think any legacy can be tarnished when you did right by your players. 

on that note, it takes a strong man to say, it's time. it also takes a quality man to stay and be the strength and conditioning coach for all the athletes at heritage. I look up to someone that can accomplish what he has in years past and then take on a job like he has to help the kids themselves in all aspects, not just wins. when you look at what's happened in the past 10 years at heritage for so many of those players, he was there for more than just football. this past year for sure was rough for HHS, and Coach Hammontree himself. not only were their heartaches and trials for his players, he lost one of his children, his oldest son to COVID. there's always way more to the story than what's posted/gossiped about. there are quiet conversations, tears, fears and constant worry as a coach. after 40+ years of coaching high school football, i'm sure he could tell you stories that would bring you to your knees.

i wish all the students and student athletes at heritage (and other area schools) acceptance, opportunity, and success in life.

Edited by ftbllfan23
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, ftbllfan23 said:

most do not realize what is occurring at a lot of the area schools either when it comes to the kids. like i mentioned before, you have parents/family members causing issues, complaining and so on, but on the other side of the coin you have talented kids that aren't playing sports. the community and the other parents are claiming that it's because of the 'staff' - nobody wants to play for them, so on and so forth, you get the idea. but the real reasons are what's going on behind closed doors that most do not know about. things that the coaches face each day in trying to help not just the athletes that ARE playing, but the students they have in class that reach out to them.

• they have the pay for the family car
  • no ride home from practices (do you realize how many are left after games? it's astonishing)
  • 3rd shift jobs
  • now more currently, the pandemic along with these other issues bringing the unknown.

it was mentioned earlier in this thread about a legacy. here's my view on the 'record' that Coach leaves. he went to GA for his kids to have a better opportunity for college through HOPE scholarship that didn't exist in TN, that was said in his exit interview when he left Maryville after a perfect 15-0 season. GQ was one of his assistants and you know where that led him and the program at Maryville. He then coached at NGHS (a known basketball school in gwinnett county at the time) he laid the groundwork for that program, setting records, winning games for the first time in school history and a few NFL players came out of that. they've been successful every year since. he moves back to Rhea County where he coached in the 80s to build the program there. playoffs, winning seasons, plans for new facilities and so on. when he felt his time was up, he moved back to GA (along with Robert Reeves) under John Reid at East Paulding. I won't keep rambling on, however, you can look up EP's records and success since that particular staff left. sometimes it's more about what you sow the seeds for, than what you reap. Coach Hammontree has said in years past, he goes where he's called to coach, he works hard for the players and to set an example of what it means to be a good human. i don't think any legacy can be tarnished when you did right by your players. 

on that note, it takes a strong man to say, it's time. it also takes a quality man to stay and be the strength and conditioning coach for all the athletes at heritage. I look up to someone that can accomplish what he has in years past and then take on a job like he has to help the kids themselves in all aspects, not just wins. when you look at what's happened in the past 10 years at heritage for so many of those players, he was there for more than just football. this past year for sure was rough for HHS, and Coach Hammontree himself. not only were their heartaches and trials for his players, he lost one of his children, his oldest son to COVID. there's always way more to the story than what's posted/gossiped about. there are quiet conversations, tears, fears and constant worry as a coach. after 40+ years of coaching high school football, i'm sure he could tell you stories that would bring you to your knees.

i wish all the students and student athletes at heritage (and other area schools) acceptance, opportunity, and success in life.

Excellent post(s). As a longtime Georgia resident, I can verify that everything you posted about his time in Georgia is 100% correct. He was also runner-up for the HC job at Rome High when they hired the coach prior to John Reid (in hindsight they would have been much better off hiring Hammontree, but it worked out for them in the long run.) I thought highly of the late Bill Horton, but a telling stat is that Coach Horton never won another playoff game at Rhea Co. after TH left for Maryville. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I still remember Tim Hammontree when he played for Greenback along with Tong Linginfelter who was the QB. Tim was the go to running back and also kicked extra points. Greenback was never really a threat until that 1973 team went 8-2 in the season and played Walland who they already had beat but lost the second time in the playoffs in a game played at Maryville High on a Wednesday Night. Until Greenback won the championship in 1987 the 1973 team with Tim Hammontree was the best they had ever produced since football started there in 1957. Not only were they both great players but they both would be on Greenback's All Time All Star team for the 64 years they've played football there. Very interesting both ended up as high school head coaches. I also heard Jesse on radio today say Hammontree told him he wasn't through coaching for what ever that means. He may stay on staff who knows.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ftbllfan23 said:

• they have the pay for the family car
  • 3rd shift jobs

Great post.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, orngnblk said:

Great post.

It sure was a great post. All schools have these issues but the county has much more. A lot of good people are working at both Heritage and WB that have went beyond their job to help these kids and to do anything possible to help most people don't know about. That in my mind is priceless and worth much more than a room full of state championship trophies.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BarneySox2007 said:

It sure was a great post. All schools have these issues but the county has much more. A lot of good people are working at both Heritage and WB that have went beyond their job to help these kids and to do anything possible to help most people don't know about. That in my mind is priceless and worth much more than a room full of state championship trophies.

all schools definitely have these issues, you're 100% right. both winning schools and losing schools. there are amazing employees at both schools and blount county is definitely lucky to have them. i think sometimes we have to shine a light on things that aren't at the forefront when it comes to wins and losses, especially when it comes to our own community. 

i appreciate the reminder about Coach Hammontree's time at Greenback. that was definitely a special team. I'm sure if we sat down with him and asked him about the years he played at Greenback and CNC and all the years he has coached, what he's seen, what he's heard, how things have changed, a best selling book could be written. 

having good conversations and back and forth about schools in our area are wonderful to see. i'm here for it. i read quite a bit, but never much throw my two cents around. i get that competitiveness and trash talk are a part of any sport, i just hope that some on these boards start to rethink comments made before they're posted. lots of hearsay, assumptions, he said, she said, no actual facts... you know what happens when you assume ;) 

if we're going to expect these students/athletes (heck, even the coaches and staffs) to meet the bar that's been set before them or some future bar, we, as a community and as adults should be holding ourselves to that bar as well. 

accountability, decency, respect... after all, these are still kids. 

Edited by ftbllfan23
  • Like 1

The challenge for those whose care about high school football in Blount County is to find ways to support the programs at WB and Heritage at this critical juncture.  Both are at a tipping point where they can either rebuild and become what we hope they can be or slide even deeper into the holes they are in. Coach Reeves at WB and whomever ends up at Heritage need their schools, the school district and the community to step up and support the programs. The Blount County schools will never be the powerhouses that Maryville and Alcoa have become, but they can be competitive programs. It's just going to take more than new head coaches and a new fieldhouse at each school.  

• Like 1