GC vs WV

mas1821

1 hour ago, GlassHouseBound said:

I don’t know if this is true or not.  But I have heard that there is no love lost between Wilkins and Haskins.   And I’ve heard there has been multiple situations kinda like this that has taken place between the two with Haskins having his share of them as well. Just gamesmanship from both imo.    There’s a reason GC/Westview didn’t play last year and it wasn’t because Wilkins didn’t want too….   I don’t think any of it has to be taken as negative towards either one.  Coaches don’t always have to be buddies.  

I think they do like each other, but leaders of big programs do tend to have big personalities. 
You’re correct about why they didn’t play last year. Two different classifications and a Martin Lions Tourney and a trip out West.

WV hasn’t “ducked” anybody but in years past (& still today), if it’s not a girls tourney then you have to account for the boys as well. 

What I’ve noticed over the years, fans want specific matchups of the teams without considering the other game….even when their own coach didn’t want the matchup.

WV will always play the Lions Tournament because it’s the longest running tourney in the State at Christmas. Since everyone is in the district, Coach Wilkins will get his “wish” for the next few years. This rivalry I see is starting to heat back up. It’s good for NW Tennessee basketball. 

For the out of district teams that want to play, hopefully they’ll reach out and jump into the Lions Tournament. If anyone is reading this and is in your coach’s ear, encourage them to play in this tourney. The food is great and the atmosphere is great. It’s more for the fans, but everyone loves good basketball. 

Edited by LetsGoBrandon
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LetsGoBrandon said:

I think they do like each other, but leaders of big programs do tend to have big personalities. 
You’re correct about why they didn’t play last year. Two different classifications and a Martin Lions Tourney and a trip out West.

WV hasn’t “ducked” anybody but in years past (& still today), if it’s not a girls tourney then you have to account for the boys as well. 

What I’ve noticed over the years, fans want specific matchups of the teams without considering the other game….even when their own coach didn’t want the matchup.

WV will always play the Lions Tournament because it’s the longest running tourney in the State at Christmas. Since everyone is in the district, Coach Wilkins will get his “wish” for the next few years. This rivalry I see is starting to heat back up. It’s good for NW Tennessee basketball. 

For the out of district teams that want to play, hopefully they’ll reach out and jump into the Lions Tournament. If anyone is reading this and is in your coach’s ear, encourage them to play in this tourney. The food is great and the atmosphere is great. It’s more for the fans, but everyone loves good basketball. 

Looks like we will experience what we did from the late 80’s up until 2012 or so before dropping to Single A. Will be interesting going forward as Westview is definitely more comfortable playing a half court game against our man defense than we are playing a half court against Westview’s zone. GC is not doing what they like to do right now and that is creating offense with defense and creating space playing fast. GC is going to have to make some adjustments going forward, IMO. Westview is too comfortable right now, IMO.

41 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

Looks like we will experience what we did from the late 80’s up until 2012 or so before dropping to Single A. Will be interesting going forward as Westview is definitely more comfortable playing a half court game against our man defense than we are playing a half court against Westview’s zone. GC is not doing what they like to do right now and that is creating offense with defense and creating space playing fast. GC is going to have to make some adjustments going forward, IMO. Westview is too comfortable right now, IMO.

Last night is far from the norm and I believe the next 2 (if it all falls into place), will be a lot closer. GC is our foe and you can always throw out the prior outcomes when we tip off. This season and even in Phoenix, we’ve had better games when we’re pressed. We’ve got depth, speed, ball handlers and scoring and next year I believe we will even be faster and deeper. On any given night, anything can happen to any team. WV doesn’t take anyone for granted. After the final last night, UC is the next focus. 

IMO, I think GC will run a drop back press in the next one and get in a zone early. That’s going to make it a lower scoring game for both teams. It’d be interesting to see if we throw in a press to speed it up. Our press is pretty solid, and when it’s needed I think he will bring it out. 

These games will get serious in Regional play and hopefully everyone will be full strength (health wise). 

Good luck here on it and let’s get to a part 3. 

Edited by LetsGoBrandon

20 minutes ago, LetsGoBrandon said:

Last night is far from the norm and I believe the next 2 (if it all falls into place), will be a lot closer. GC is our foe and you can always throw out the prior outcomes when we tip off. This season and even in Phoenix, we’ve had better games when we’re pressed. We’ve got depth, speed, ball handlers and scoring and next year I believe we will even be faster and deeper. On any given night, anything can happen to any team. WV doesn’t take anyone for granted. After the final last night, UC is the next focus. 

IMO, I think GC will run a drop back press in the next one and get in a zone early. That’s going to make it a lower scoring game for both teams. It’d be interesting to see if we throw in a press to speed it up. Our press is pretty solid, and when it’s needed I think he will bring it out. 

These games will get serious in Regional play and hopefully everyone will be full strength (health wise). 

Good luck here on it and let’s to a part 3. 

Yeah same to you. I was glad to see number 15 come on the floor. We love to win but we love all kids health more including our opponents. Westview plays well fast I agree. Reason Wilkins has already changed his uptempo pressing style that we have played in 95% of our games but I don’t disagree with the switch. So he has proved he will change up. Good luck to y’all too and hopefully a part 3.

So, I just had the chance to watch the stream on NFHS.

I have a few takeaways solely based on this game.

1st takeaway (Why did WV beat a very good GC team by 20+).

Multiple reasons:

A.) WV was much more effective with their half court pressure.  Forcing several turnovers and more than a few bad shots.

B.) Westview's 3-5 players looked much more confident than GC's 3-5. 

C.) Obviously, WV shot more efficient and more often from 3.

D.) Westview's ball movement, and Jada's driving kickouts were on point. They were definitely in sync with each other from top to bottom.

2nd Takeaway (WV & Loretto are similar, but different).

WV moves the ball well, plays a disciplined zone, pressures well in half court D/constantly initiating traps, has a star player to rely on, & shoots well from 3.  All of which is basically a pretty good mirror of what you get from Loretto.  The main differences I see between the two are 1.) WV isn't quite as long as Loretto, and 2.) Jada, although super talented, isn't quite Karly.

3rd takeaway (Is Jada unguardable).

Yes & No.  

A.) Why yes? 

Man to man, Jada will give most defenders fits because of her speed & ball handling combo.  She does get in the paint pretty easily, and she's good at finding her open shooter.

B.) Why no?

She isn't an effective shooter once in the paint.  To be "unguardable", she needs to finish at a higher %.  When her drives didn't reach a layup finish (which the majority didn't) her jumpshot was far from pure. Also, imo, If you play a good zone against her, she will not get in the paint as often as she will run into more defensive help in said zone.  

IMO, GC has to play zone against WV.  For the same reason they need to play zone against Loretto if they play them.  Jada will continue to beat man to man, and zone should create less open looks from deep.  GC also needs to pressure the ballhandler more in half court.  And most importantly, GC has to give the Hart's some help offensively.  

GC can beat WV, but at the same time, WV can win pretty big again.  All depends on how GC's 3-5 players play, how Wilkins adjusts, and how both teams shoot.  

Between GC, WV, Summertown, Loretto, and a few more from Middle & East TN, we are very lucky to be watching some super talented and even grittier girls play in AA this year.  Gotta enjoy it while we can!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, LetsGoBrandon said:

Idk if I would say Westview has “ducked” anyone but it is safe to say they don’t schedule other top west tn teams very often.    And it’s not because they don’t get asked to play is all I’m saying.  By your logic all those too west tn teams should just come play AT Westview in the lions club tourney if they want to play? Makes sense lol. Either way.   They are 3-0 against two of the top west tn teams this year.   And have a great team. 

23 hours ago, mas1821 said:

So, I just had the chance to watch the stream on NFHS.

I have a few takeaways solely based on this game.

1st takeaway (Why did WV beat a very good GC team by 20+).

Multiple reasons:

A.) WV was much more effective with their half court pressure.  Forcing several turnovers and more than a few bad shots.

B.) Westview's 3-5 players looked much more confident than GC's 3-5. 

C.) Obviously, WV shot more efficient and more often from 3.

D.) Westview's ball movement, and Jada's driving kickouts were on point. They were definitely in sync with each other from top to bottom.

2nd Takeaway (WV & Loretto are similar, but different).

WV moves the ball well, plays a disciplined zone, pressures well in half court D/constantly initiating traps, has a star player to rely on, & shoots well from 3.  All of which is basically a pretty good mirror of what you get from Loretto.  The main differences I see between the two are 1.) WV isn't quite as long as Loretto, and 2.) Jada, although super talented, isn't quite Karly.

3rd takeaway (Is Jada unguardable).

Yes & No.  

A.) Why yes? 

Man to man, Jada will give most defenders fits because of her speed & ball handling combo.  She does get in the paint pretty easily, and she's good at finding her open shooter.

B.) Why no?

She isn't an effective shooter once in the paint.  To be "unguardable", she needs to finish at a higher %.  When her drives didn't reach a layup finish (which the majority didn't) her jumpshot was far from pure. Also, imo, If you play a good zone against her, she will not get in the paint as often as she will run into more defensive help in said zone.  

IMO, GC has to play zone against WV.  For the same reason they need to play zone against Loretto if they play them.  Jada will continue to beat man to man, and zone should create less open looks from deep.  GC also needs to pressure the ballhandler more in half court.  And most importantly, GC has to give the Hart's some help offensively.  

GC can beat WV, but at the same time, WV can win pretty big again.  All depends on how GC's 3-5 players play, how Wilkins adjusts, and how both teams shoot.  

Between GC, WV, Summertown, Loretto, and a few more from Middle & East TN, we are very lucky to be watching some super talented and even grittier girls play in AA this year.  Gotta enjoy it while we can!

Good post. I agree playing zone would be my route right now because Jada is getting in paint at will and they are getting wide open looks. Think it would slow down Jada from getting in paint and hope GC would contest more three’s. Have to try something different because Westview is in their comfort zone now and man isn’t working at all. 
JMO.

Ball movement from guard to guard for GC has got to get better. These rainbow passes made them much more vulnerable to traps and pressure.

if GC does play man I would press more and trap and try to create Turnovers and maybe wind them a little. Not getting any Turnovers without press and it will get them playing faster and some transition and hopefully get them playing instead of thinking. GC is thinking too much attacking the zone. If they play zone, pressing might be a backup plan. JMO.

I agree with Wilkins game plans. We have to prepare for them like it will be a Round 4. But GC has to be ready at all times and not a guarantee to play them. 

As far as Westview/Loretto, both are really good. Would be interesting to see Loretto’s 2-3 zone with them being long and athletic against Westview and how they would react. Same with how Loretto would react to Westview’s 2-3 zone. These two are playing the best ball right now for sure. 

Edited by pioneer42

1 minute ago, pioneer42 said:

Good post. I agree playing zone would be my route because Jada is getting in paint at will and they are getting wide open looks. Think it would slow down Jada from getting in paint and GC would contest more three’s. Have to try something different because Westview is in their comfort zone now and man isn’t working at all.  

Ball movement from guard to guard for GC has got to get better. These rainbow passes made them much more vulnerable to traps and pressure. I would look at putting Goad at PG and Micah at 2. Goad could attack middle to create traps and dish to open wings. Could also overload a side and set picks with guards and post to create space and open shots. 

if GC does play man I would press more and trap and try to create Turnovers and maybe wind them a little. Not getting any Turnovers without press and it will get them playing faster and some transition and hopefully get them playing instead of thinking. GC is thinking too much attacking the zone. If they play zone, pressing might be a backup plan. 

I agree with Wilkins game plans so far. He has not shown a lot and I like that. We have to prepare for them like it will be a Round 4. But GC has to be ready at all times and not a guarantee to play them. He has made some minor adjustments but he hadn’t shown his whole hand. 

As far as Westview/Loretto, both are really good. Would be interesting to see Loretto’s 2-3 zone with them being long and athletic against Westview and how they would react. Same with how Loretto would react to Westview’s 2-3 zone. These two are playing the best ball right now for sure. 

Definitely no need for GC to panic, y'all always play well come tourney time!  And your girls will be as fired up for westview next time as they have been for any opponent.

WV is definitely a great team with two close losses against great national teams!

3 minutes ago, mas1821 said:

Definitely no need for GC to panic, y'all always play well come tourney time!  And your girls will be as fired up for westview next time as they have been for any opponent.

WV is definitely a great team with two close losses against great national teams!

They have to get better playing against their zone and defending their offense and Jada. We are doing a lot of thinking right now instead of playing on offense. I was thinking about 2019 GC/Loretto today and as great of a defensive team as we had Karly still had 28 points and KJ White played a magnificent ball game guarding her as a Freshman. Wilkins has a history of playing good in tournaments and Loretto proved last year it ain’t what happend two weeks ago. Got to get hot in tournaments. I am thinking ours is Wednesday and Friday next week. Not 100%. When are y’all’s??

14 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

They have to get better playing against their zone and defending their offense and Jada. We are doing a lot of thinking right now instead of playing on offense. I was thinking about 2019 GC/Loretto today and as great of a defensive team as we had Karly still had 28 points and KJ White played a magnificent ball game guarding her as a Freshman. Wilkins has a history of playing good in tournaments and Loretto proved last year it ain’t what happend two weeks ago. Got to get hot in tournaments. I am thinking ours is Wednesday and Friday next week. Not 100%. When are y’all’s??

yep!

Our first District Tourney game is 2/17, championship is 2/21.

• 2 weeks later...

GC vs. WV, Part 3 on Saturday night. I expect a packed house and a very close game. Tournament basketball is always tougher  

It’s always fun watching the game plans of 2 great coaches going against each other and the adjustments they make in rematches  

Maybe they’ll shake hands this game after the game, and mean it. Lol  

Safe travels and the “Horse Shoe” should be rocking Saturday night. 

17 minutes ago, LetsGoBrandon said:

GC vs. WV, Part 3 on Saturday night. I expect a packed house and a very close game. Tournament basketball is always tougher  

It’s always fun watching the game plans of 2 great coaches going against each other and the adjustments they make in rematches  

Maybe they’ll shake hands this game after the game, and mean it. Lol  

Safe travels and the “Horse Shoe” should be rocking Saturday night. 

That is right. We look forward to that opportunity. Both coaches are good guys and great coaches. Neither takes stuff personal. I like both of them. We will have to play better Saturday than we did tonight to beat Westview for sure. But I also give credit to Union City for a good effort. Simms kid for Westview is a special player. Just looks like a senior out there. Plays with a ton of confidence. Westview are great hosts. Great concessions. Folks need to come out and watch some good basketball. Tomm. night ought to be two great boys games.

Edited by pioneer42